Steed's Umbrella Sword, The Avengers

Lightning

Master Member
It's 5 months until Halloween so It's time for me to start costume planning.

This year the Girlfriend and I are Emma Peel and John Steed. She has some sewing to do I have to find a Bowler hat that fits. But first I tackled the Umbrella.

This is a functional, rather than exactly screen accurate umbrella. I figured being able to draw the sword was the most important part. I have time to figure out how to simulate a whangee handle.

First of all I picked up a $10 umbrella on ebay. It's the one with the collapsible plastic sheath.

umbrella1.jpg

Disassembly:

umbrella2.jpg

removing the locking mechanism made the entire shaft hollow.

umbrella3.jpg

I used 5/16 stainless steel rod for the sword itself. The Brass tube is glued to the portion exposed here, but extends over the umbrella shaft

umbrella6.jpg

I used PC-11 to secure and fill the gap between the brass tube and steel rod. The front couple of inches have no adhesive, leaving a gap.

umbrella7.jpg

The unit slides into the umbrella handle all the way down to where it starts to bend. I was lucky it was all hollow, that wasn't needed to assemble the original umbrella but it is critical for the strength of my version. It's glued in.

umbrella8.jpg

A beveled rubber backed washer is glued to the end to give it a finished look

umbrella9.jpg

The other end of the tube gets finished with another piece of the same brass tubing and few brass bits and pieces

umbrella4.jpg

umbrella5.jpg

The assembled umbrella, still a few cosmetic things to work on. I need a 3/8 drill bit stop for the hilt to rest against.

umbrella10.jpg

The (almost) finished product

umbrella11.jpg

The end of the rod is rounded off. Since it doesn't have an sharp edges, I'm not entirely sure if it is legally a sword or not. And that's sort of important, if I want to carry it around. It still works as an umbrella, by the way.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back