Steampunk Goggles Full Build

Blabashotz

I wanted to build a set of goggles that were in a steampunk style, so I started by going down to my local Bunnings, grabbing a snag, and bought a pair of welding goggles for the base.
View attachment 824418
b1b71ca9-ab05-43c9-a6d6-47f7da24cef8.jpg
I then began by taking them apart and giving them a light grey primer coat.

1.jpg
View attachment 824409
The flip-up viewing section of the goggles was mainly spray painted with copper, with some sections painted gold.
3-2.jpg4.jpg

The main part of the goggles was painted copper

5.jpg

View attachment 824411
But that didn't go very well. After leaving it to dry overnight, it was still sticky and hadn't dried properly. This was due to the rubbery material, which didn't hold the paint very well. I ended up having to use sand paper and turpentine to strip the two coats of spray paint off and re-coated it with a single light coat of gold.

10.jpg

View attachment 824416
Now it was time to find some small components which would be added onto the goggles to give the "steampunk vibe" a real kick. I went digging through my old box of lego while also hunting through the garage and found some pieces that I could use. Plus, I also found an old phone charger which I cut up.
6.jpg7.jpg

I painted these items, along with a bunch of other things that I found during the day.

11.jpg

View attachment 824417
I wanted to use the old phone charger as some sort of wire which would go from the top of the goggles to the bottom, and decided to connect it using two of the small circular pieces from the goggles. To do this, I needed to drill a hole in each of them which would fit both the ends of the charger.

9.jpg

View attachment 824415
With all my components ready, I super-glued them onto the goggles and re-assembled them, being careful not to break any of the newly glued pieces off.

20180616_161415.jpg
20180616_161305.jpg20180616_161347.jpg

Last edited:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back