Steampunk Communicator - Star Trek

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by ghigham, Oct 25, 2011.

1. ghigham

ghigham New Member

Built for the British STEAMPUNK MODELLER publication, this Communicator device is made of wood, metal and electronics. I tried to honor Wah Chang's original minimalist design concept but retro-fit it with the bells and whistles of "steampunk" aesthetics.

A video of it appears here:
    Steampunk Communicator / Star Trek - YouTube

I'm currently building a Tricorder to match...

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2018
  2. PropDoc

PropDoc New Member

This is fantastic! Can't wait to see the tricorder!

3. Tremas

Tremas Sr Member

That, is beautiful! :)

4. spidersolo

spidersolo Active Member

That is a rel work of art.
    It is simply fantastic!

5. Jack T Chance

Jack T Chance Sr Member

A true work of art! You've done well, sir! Now bring on the tricorder! :)

BTW, I posted a link to this thread on my Facebook page, so others can see this. :cool

6. darthgordon

darthgordon Sr Member

I actually really like this.

7. 22 Stars

22 Stars Member

Awesome job. I've been thinking about doing a Nerf Mav as a Trek Punk, basically the reverse of Steampunk, Trekking out a Mav.... Great work!

8. Maelstrom

Maelstrom Sr Member

Very nice! Where do you source or what are good sources for brass bits and bobs like the ones used on this?

9. ghigham

ghigham New Member

THANKS everyone! The brass bits in this were generally culled from browsing jewelry supply stores - the filagree domes above the lights being a good example. I soldered them onto mini brass ship port-holes, which in turn were soldered into holes that I cut into the etched brass plate. A few bits also came from salvage, as I'm always taking stuff apart looking for the "good" parts!

10. WalkingEye

WalkingEye New Member

Very cool.

11. Dave Porter

Dave Porter Sr Member

Very nice indeed.

(y)thumbsup

12. Zendragon

Zendragon Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Thing of beauty

13. bill70808

bill70808 New Member

That is impressive

14. BAK55

BAK55 Well-Known Member

That is a beautiful, fantastic piece of work. I agree about looking forward to seeing the tricorder, as other RPF members have mentioned, but I'm also curious in seeing how the phaser -both hand and pistol versions- could be done while maintaining Wah Chang's original style.

15. ghigham

ghigham New Member

The Phaser is a natural progression, and perhaps the most challenging to design to match my set. WETA really set the bar on guns and it's admittedly difficult to purge them from one's mind to avoid being derivative, but the smaller almost "handy" design of the original Phaser helps as a good starting point.
    The Enterprise itself is also in my pipeline, though not much more than rough sketches just now.
    I've tried to create a miniature roll-top for the Tricorder, but creating that in such a small scale with copper strips - even cheating the tambour with a flexible backing - was not going to work. I', trying to get a collapsible shell design - also in strip copper - to work now.
    The REAL tricky part is the pegs/notches cut into the back ends of each so that it grabs itself when closing, with each strip/leaf following the one before it! Working it in cardboard first.....any suggestions?

16. Zaphod

Zaphod Well-Known Member

Beautiful! I'd love one of those in my display case.

17. TheSt.LouisKid

TheSt.LouisKid Sr Member

Cool.

Someone call Sporak. If it's a communicator he'll want to see it.

18. Yellowjacket

Yellowjacket Well-Known Member

Some props are props. Some props are replicas. Some props are amazing works of craftmanship and imagination, and so much so that they border on high art. Fantastic craftsmanship!

19. winghead

winghead Active Member

I just recently attended a Steampunk wedding!! I've never been into Steampunk, so, I had no idea what to expect at the wedding, but the Costumes they wore and Gadgets they displayed, where all cool and very interesting!
    Love your Piece and really like how you incorporated the Star Trek Theme into making it!! Great Job! would have been nice to have taken something like this to the wedding!

Was thinking it would be cool to try and make a Steampunk Ironman costume! do you know if anyone has done this here on the forum?

20. ARKM

ARKM Sr Member

Very cool prop.

21. CessnaDriver

CessnaDriver Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Ok, so where is the steampunk Airship Enterprize?

22. cloudborn

cloudborn Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Wow, that's really cool...very nice work!!

23. railhead

railhead New Member

when does shooting of "Steam Trek, the motion picture" begin? really a beautiful prop, man

24. TheMadGasser

TheMadGasser Member

Smashing job!!

I can't wait for the Tricorder version!

25. doctorwholittle

doctorwholittle Active Member

I want to go to there!!!

Seriously - incredible job you've done, there! Thanks for sharing your talent and vision with us.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

26. Jedifather

Jedifather Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I don't really get the whole Steampunk thing, but that comm is pretty cool.

27. CmdrWilliamB

CmdrWilliamB New Member

George:

Absolutely BEAUTIFUL work! Both on the communicator as well as your matching tricorder and phaser (which, BTW, I've been eyeing as inspiration for my own planned steampounk'd phaser project).

Cheers!
    Cmdr. Billy B.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2018
  28. asalaw

asalaw Sr Member

HOLY CRAP!!!!! Just got done posting in your tricorder thread, and now I see this! Incredible, fantastic design and building!

29. ghigham

ghigham New Member

Thanks all! I recently redesigned my website, and all of the devices are view-able at http://www.poepuppet.com/#!steamtek/ctn9 along with video links to see them in action...It was a great project and I was lucky to have the Steampunk Modeler publications present it so nicely.......George

nickjm007 likes this.
  30. BornKilr

BornKilr Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Not a huge steampunk fan, but this is great!

31. TOS

TOS Active Member

I'm not a steam punk fan either, but that communicator is very cool. I think Wah would've liked it quite a bit. :)