Steadi-cam mounted MG42 from Aliens?

I'm watching "Aliens" on AMC right now. Now I've seen tons of Pulse Rifles here, but not a single replica of the gun Lt. Vasquez wields...it's a German MG42 and it's attached to what looks to be a Steadi-cam rig. Anyone ever tackle this?

-Jonaas

Last edited:

Kris

Sr Member
I've seen someone doing that on FACTS in Belgium 2 years ago, looked nice, and was scratch-built, (not that it really functioned as a steadicam tough.)

Scapey

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
We have a couple of smartgunners that are pretty much finished, and a few more in the works :)
It's a very big build, though, so as you say... Not too common!

I have most of the dressup parts from the dirtbike - All I need's an MG42 and steadicam rig now!
Pfft, what's a few tens of thousands of pounds? ;)

division 6

Master Member
P1010162.jpg

DBoz

Sr Member
That is a sweet picture. I would love to do a smartgun, but I'm still in the process of building my Pulse Rifle, and the whole steadicam rig is a bit cost prohibitive. Although I have read about some chinese made ones that are somewhat more affordable.

BigGeek

Way cool pic! A pulse rifle is definitely on my future to-do list. Lots of other things in front of it right now, though. I also wondered if anyone had tackled the smartgun, and obviously it has!

Serafino

Sr Member
Deconstructing a Steadicam is a fun exercise. Spring, cable, pulleys, hinges, and Bob's yer uncle. ;) I had a go at figuring it out long ago, had the essentials on paper but never tried building one.

Do the replicas people have built have functional Steadicam-like arms or are they just passive?

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.