Limited Run Static ISYHCANL (complete build) X9

DaveP

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
The time has come to finally send these babies out in to the world!

What we have here are nine, solid aluminium ISYHCANL hilts. Milled from an exact 3D model of the original prop:

New.png
New_02.png
New_03.png
New_04.png

ISYHCANL_01.jpg

ISYHCANL-GIF.gif

The ISYHCANL was a brief incarnation of Luke's Hero saber. It started life as the "Yuma", but was modified for the close up shot of Vader holding it in his hands on Endor in ROTJ. This was prior to the filming of the "Cave Scene" and before the prop was modified to include flashing triangular LEDs and sliding circuit strip reveal.

The resulting design of the ISYHCANL is simpler and cleaner than the that of the official "hero".

The 3D model was painstakingly created using various shots of the original prop and scaled based on comparative shots of the prop alongside others (the dimensions of which are more widely accepted). After the basic model had been created, and some of the more important measurements were locked down, the model went through a series of fine tuning checks, where it was aligned with close up shots of the actual prop, and adjusted, to ensure absolute precision.

FINAL_OVERLAY.jpg
BOX_TEST.jpg

Emitter_Test.jpg
Pommel_Test.jpg
Testing_02.jpg

The finished prop includes a screen-accurate blue and copper Slothfurnace board, with chemically aged brass rails.

The neck is painted aluminium (as per the original prop). A combination of different paints were used to match the colour used on the original prop.

The "switch" is hand made from black acrylic.

The Tri-ring is hand made from stainless steel rod (also precisely measured and recreated to match the original prop). The stainless steel rod was sanded and heat treated to look like aged mild steel.

A build thread for this project can be seen HERE. I highly recommend that you take a look, to appreciate the effort that has gone in to making this as screen accurate as possible.

The Price for each finished prop is £230 plus postage (UK £15/International £25)

I'm going to be selling these on a first come/first served basis, based on either comments in the thread or via direct message. If they do all sell before you get a chance to purchase one, I'll be posting an interest thread in the coming weeks for a possible further run in kit form (Either ISYHCANL or the "Cave" hero).

If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me, or comment bellow.

Cheers,

Dave

Spoken for/Interested (awaiting payment):

Paid (awaiting postage):

In transit:

James Kenobi 1138
corlis1
Filandrius

Recieved:

Somerset
Cyberblock
El Toro
Nailuj
???
ventuoguy

Still available:

0/9 All Sold

Last edited:
Yup thank you! Can send funds tomorrow :)
No problem. That's great, thank you. I've added you to the list. If you can send me a quick PM with your address when you're ready, I'll send a link to my PayPal. Cheers (y)

Had a comment on the price of these over on the thin-neck saber group on Facebook (not a nasty one by any means)... Just wanted to share part of my response on here too:

"...Many, many hours have gone in to researching the original prop to get the model 100% accurate here though. Right down to the irregular angles in each groove, and the asymmetrical pommel cubes, with small 90 degree step. Due to the limited quantity, the price I'm charging is actually the cost of having had them machined on this occasion, so I'm actually slightly out of pocket having kept one for myself. Then there's the paint, the sandpaper/wire wool, the brass and brass black, the sloth board, the rods for the tri-ring, and the many hours of labour sanding, polishing and painting... These are finished pieces, not a kit. I think it's pretty reasonable considering and would have charged more were it not for the competition (who have the benefit of ordering higher quantities). I am considering doing a run in kit form in the future, which will be more like £200 if there's enough interest, but for the work that's been involved, I think an extra £50 is not at all bad for a finished hilt. I realise it's a static too, but again, this was always about accurately recreating the prop rather than an FX hilt. The original prop was a heavy, solid piece of aluminium. That's what some people prefer. It's all about personal preference. ".....

"It was never really a money making venture. More of a personal project. Like I say, I've actually made a loss. The price for having one made was astronomical though. I thought the price for ten seemed more reasonable."

The price is quite reasonable considering you only had 10 milled and not bulk 200 that would bring costs down. As you said the time spent in research and also finishing each one with fairly accurate paint, clamp cards etc....

Anyone would be lucky to have one of these hefty hero's

Had a comment on the price of these over on the thin-neck saber group on Facebook (not a nasty one by any means)... Just wanted to share part of my response on here too:

"...Many, many hours have gone in to researching the original prop to get the model 100% accurate here though. Right down to the irregular angles in each groove, and the asymmetrical pommel cubes, with small 90 degree step. Due to the limited quantity, the price I'm charging is actually the cost of having had them machined on this occasion, so I'm actually slightly out of pocket having kept one for myself. Then there's the paint, the sandpaper/wire wool, the brass and brass black, the sloth board, the rods for the tri-ring, and the many hours of labour sanding, polishing and painting... These are finished pieces, not a kit. I think it's pretty reasonable considering and would have charged more were it not for the competition (who have the benefit of ordering higher quantities). I am considering doing a run in kit form in the future, which will be more like £200 if there's enough interest, but for the work that's been involved, I think an extra £50 is not at all bad for a finished hilt. I realise it's a static too, but again, this was always about accurately recreating the prop rather than an FX hilt. The original prop was a heavy, solid piece of aluminium. That's what some people prefer. It's all about personal preference. ".....

"It was never really a money making venture. More of a personal project. Like I say, I've actually made a loss. The price for having one made was astronomical though. I thought the price for ten seemed more reasonable."

You shouldn’t have to defend yourself about pricing

“It is what it is”

They don’t want it, move on... you get what you pay for

I’ve seen what has gone into your build. Very impressed sir, I don’t think there is anything wrong with your price

Thanks guys.

Yeah, that's kind of my thinking too. I'd love to be able to bring the price down, but it's like you say: "It is what it is".

In hindsight, perhaps I should have just offered them as a kit and maybe had a few more produced, but I've kind of missed that boat. :D

I'll put an interest thread up once these have gone, and who knows? you can never have too many sabers, can you?!

Thanks guys.

Yeah, that's kind of my thinking too. I'd love to be able to bring the price down, but it's like you say: "It is what it is".

In hindsight, perhaps I should have just offered them as a kit and maybe had a few more produced, but I've kind of missed that boat. :D

I'll put an interest thread up once these have gone, and who knows? you can never have too many sabers, can you?!

If you have a extra smooth box I’d like to grab one once I have some fun tickets, this month is very hard for me

If you have a extra smooth box I’d like to grab one once I have some fun tickets, this month is very hard for me
No worries. I know the feeling! Well, there's 4 still not spoken for, and like I say, once these 9 are gone, I'll start thinking about getting a few more machined. Probably won't be doing another run of completed ones though I don't think. Cheers.

You shouldn’t have to defend yourself about pricing

“It is what it is”

They don’t want it, move on... you get what you pay for

I’ve seen what has gone into your build. Very impressed sir, I don’t think there is anything wrong with your price
Agreed, you should not have to justify your work and price. The research and craftsmanship is 1st class. I saw the comment and there was no need for it. Great work mate!

I had a question regarding durability of this build and thought I'd just share my thoughts. Whilst it can be handled, obviously, it is intended as a display piece. I felt that I should be totally upfront about this. I have zero concerns about parts falling off. The boards, rails and switches are glued on using JB Weld (2 part epoxy). The switches also had small holes drilled in to their backs and in to the box, to take in some of the glue and form a stronger bond. My only area of concern is the paint; it *could* scratch if handled on a regular basis. There's just no avoiding that. It's paint on metal. I'd take care with jewelry (I take rings off when handling). The painted sections do have a coat of matt clear varnish, but I'd still say handle with care. Just thought I'd get that out there in case anyone was wondering the same thing. Cheers, Dave.

So, the first of these has arrived safely with its new owner (in the UK). Several more are currently winging their way across the Atlantic!

Very happy to hear that said owner is "very happy" with their purchase! :)

The thing that I'm most proud of with this build is the accuracy of the 3D model, so I've been looking forward to getting around to doing a side by side comparison with one of the reference images.

Didn't quite manage to reproduce the exact lighting conditions here, but it does a fairly decent job of demonstrating the accuracy of the models' dimensions.

The boxes don't match obviously, as the reference image (Bottom) was taken after the prop was fitted out for the cave scene, but the main body is that of the Yuma and then the ISYHCANL.

The top image is one of the remaining hilts (Taken today).

There are still three of these available at this stage (possibly four).

Cheers,

Dave

COMPARISON.png

It's been pointed out to me that I've rather foolishly left off the grub screw from the emitter! I have some M4 (4mm) grub screws ordered and will include with the remaining 4 hilts. I'll be sending one out to those who have already received their hilts too, and those whose hilts are currently in transit. Apologies for this. Silly mistake!

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back