Starting on cheap armor

Valkyrja

OK, I was busy all day today and could not get down to the store to pick up the other paints I wanted in order to try and finish out my first plasma caster. Once things settled down I jumped on the 'Net to go through the ton of bookmarks I created while hanging out on this site.

This YouTube video got me interested in trying out the armor. I had picked up some octagons of various sizes from a craft store but then I stumbled across Vin's templates. One and one make three so I was off to hunt down what I needed.

I used:
cardboard from a certification I just received
GoLean Crunch cereal box, close enough to empty for government work
low temp hot glue gun (works decent but I get a lot of floating strings) in the mini size
almost one full stick of glue (and by full I mean a mini glue stick)

I printed out Vin's template onto some paper and set to carefully cutting it out. I then used a mechanical pencil to trace the template on the cardboard. After some cutting (which took awhile, my poor hands) I decided that maybe craft foam might be better since it is easier to cut. Once finished I rounded out the cardboard as shown in the video and then glued it to the cereal box, shiny side out. I then rounded out the piece once more as the glue dried. A quick layer of spray paint applied outdoors and I was partially done the first piece.

Cardboard:
2011-07-05204621.jpg

Applied to cereal box:
2011-07-05204613.jpg

Outcome:
2011-07-05204827.jpg

It needs some touching up and that last pic was taken while the paint was wet. The black is rather matte which makes it perfect as a base. Now to figure out the breast armor. That may have to be all Foamie manufactured.

I do want to thank everyone for providing videos, templates, and patience so that us young hunters can find our way through the gauntlet.

Val

Thank you. It is a great and inexpensive way to get started. When I first started logging on to this site I was quite intimidated by all that I saw. Thankfully there are plenty of others trying to make things inexpensively and still have it look good.

Knocked out a few more pieces tonight before the rain hit. The cardboard does not like holding the shape I want/need. I also realized that when folding it a bit that you should work it both horizontally and vertically. Thinking about a brushed silver finish and then wrapping something while adding a layer to stiffen it all up. Not sure what I am going to use for that. Maybe wrap them around a PVC pipe and then some sort of adhesive? Also thinking about possibly going with velcro straps on the inside. Join the all together and then a strap on the top, middle, and bottom to hold them to the arm and keep their shape. Definitely going to distress these (see the video I linked) so it looks like I have seen _some_ action.

I am both looking forward and dreading redoing these in plastic in the near future.

V

Another option is to use clothes hangers. They work great for keeping AVP thigh armor curved a bit, just cut them into smaller pieces with some wire cutters, form and glue to the cardboard. I suggest using gorilla glue, and putting wires in before you paint though if at all possible because you're supposed to apply pressure to the glue while it cures.

I saw "Mommy Dearest" on cable as a young child so no wire hangers. LOL. I will check for some on my next store trip and a friend of mine loves Gorilla glue so I might just try that out.

Thank you.

I have been really busy at work but I did manage to knock out the last bit for what will be the right shoulder. I still need to do the vents and think about what I am going to mount them to eventually. I have a friend I might get interested in this project (she loves Halloween) so she could help me make up a template for some comfortable armor to wrap around my chest, side, and over the shoulder. I might just then fasten it to there.

I do have a wire hanger but I also have some carpal tunnel issues so I have not been able to try and bend it into shape. Goal this week is to get the vents done and decide if I want the same sort of armor for the other arm or not.

The last bit of armor I cut so that it went against the natural grain / folds of the cardboard. It makes it a bit more difficult to shape correctly but I also think it will make a very excellent top piece.

I also sent payment for a raw bio and will need to decide what sort of paint job I want to do on that. Plus since I am going with a human female hunter I will need to attach a small helmet and create some overlapping armor pieces for the back. Probably a next month project and then I will combine everything under a WIP.

So slow but sure. I should pick up the silver / grey paint Tuesday evening so I can try and finish up the cannon and the armor as far as the initial paint jobs go.

I mentioned on my plasma caster project that I just picked up some glossy silver-y paint. I hit the five pieces of armor that had been painted black and attempted to run a brush across them only to find out that the "Dries in 10 seconds or less" really means less during a heatwave. The paint was drying as soon as it hit the armor. I played around a bit and will followup with a quick dusting of black and then start on the battle damage. Then I will make the vents and try to rig it all together.

That is if it stays together. The heavy cardboard is starting to separate from the thinner cardboard that was attached via hot glue. I may end up just going with Foamies at this point and using the elmers glue+a touch of water for the seal and then paint it a base colour followed by top coat and battle damage.

Now with more bio helm goodness!

2011-07-14175408.jpg

Purchased that beauty from Termokk. Really looking forward t working on the raw bio. Such dreams I have for her.

Started to dig around for some inspiration and something to be a bit different. After the disappointing loss during the World Cup match today I found some octagon shapes and started fiddling with them. They were a bit stiff to apply to the bio helm so I made a few out of some scrap paper and applied using some painter's tape. I also decided it just may be the shape I am looking for when it comes to my armor. The theme will carry through to the backpack as well.

Anyone know how long to heat foamies and at what temperature? I want to get a heat gun but I cannot really afford anything like that for awhile due to an unexpected vet bill this month. I am also starting to think that unless I really start sitting down more often that this will not be done in time for Halloween.

The pics:

2011-07-17181129.jpg

2011-07-17181053.jpg

Feedback is greatly appreciated.

Nice start also a good one is the plastic for sale signs i used those, a little bit more durable than cardboard, and more realistic.

Thank you and yes, I am going to hit some of the local stores for those plastic signs. I know a few people have said that they get them for free. Any suggestions?

I started in on a really cheap plasma caster for my friend. Trying to suck her into the fun. LOL

It is a nice helm. I am almost afraid that I will tear it up and fail to do it justice. Almost. LOL. I just hope that whatever scheme I go with can really show off how well it is constructed.

Not yet, my kitchen table is still a mess. Good thing I am single, LOL. The weekend after this I have set aside to stick around the house and work on the plasma caster and getting another layer of primer, black, and the main colour down on the bio. Work is eating up so much time. :rolleyes:

I am still looking for my old dremel set. It is around somewhere, I just have to find it. I am also looking around other spots on the web (see the general chat from today, posted a link to an N7 Rifle build) to try and gather ideas on getting things done quick and cheap.

I do have another idea for the scheme and hope to sketch it out sometime in the next few days and apply the pattern to the bio. Basically it is a starburst around the right eye.

My friend decided she wanted to do Halloween as a Priest from the movie Priest which is based on the comic Priest. She was already asking me to build her props and help her assemble the costume pieces.

Hope to have an update soon!

Edit: where are my manners? Thank you for the feedback on the bio!

Not yet, my kitchen table is still a mess. Good thing I am single, LOL.

Yeah, I'm not so sure I would be able to have an entire wall of Bio Helmets in my living room if I was going to be considerate of a spouse. ...and I certainly would have thought twice about spray painting in my living room the time or two I have done it :rolleyes: There definitely are some advantages to being single ...but then again, there are some members of the opposite sex who DO have an appreciation for such hobbies. :D

I can't wait to see your progress (y)

100qv.jpg

101yvc.jpg

Yeah, I'm not so sure I would be able to have an entire wall of Bio Helmets in my living room if I was going to be considerate of a spouse. ...and I certainly would have thought twice about spray painting in my living room the time or two I have done it :rolleyes: There definitely are some advantages to being single ...but then again, there are some members of the opposite sex who DO have an appreciation for such hobbies. :D

What is this "spouse" and "opposite sex" thing of which you speak . . . . ? ;)

I have always been happily unmarried. I value my freedom far too much--I enjoy being able to do what I want when I want where I want for as long as I want and not having to answe to anybody.

That's why I have a zoo in my bedroom, and my living room normally looks like a bomb just went off in it. (y)

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back