Starting a cosplay Highlander (H1) katana...

jblakey

Hey guys,

after going to the Ottawa ComicCon in a variety of hot, heavy costumes, I decided this year to go light. Trench coat Highlander looks comfortable, and it involves a sword, so it's a no-brainer.

Let the build begin!:)

Picked up the finest Masumura sword eBay could supply for under $32 dollars. It was one of those "red-jewel" Highlander replicas. Just bought it for the tsuka. The tsuba is completely wrong, and the blade is terrible (and metal, not good for ComicCon). The saya is some kind of strange metal / plastic combination. Pretty much garbage. But the handle is nicely cast and workable.

First order of business was getting the thing apart. I figured that there was probably a wooden / plastic peg under the jewel on the handle, and I was right. Drilled it out (a little from both sides) after I popped the jewels out, but still no joy. So i got out my trusty blow torch and heated the blade a bit while hammering every so somewhat gently on the tsuba, forcing the tsuka down and off. Little by little the glue they used softened and I was able to pop the tsuka off. This thing was NOT full tang. Maybe 1/5 tang would be more accurate. The tang ended just after the retaining pin.

Took the handle over to the band-saw and removed the bit of plastic that went under the non-cannon fuchi. Then I filed it down until it was clean, even and level. Much more like the movie version.

To replace the crappy blade I'm using a wooden katana blade from ArtsFeng (artsfeng.com). Great source of reasonable quality / reasonable price sword parts. Did some shaping of the nakago and got it to fit the tsuka nicely.

Next up was replacing the terrible tsuba. I'm not sure where the one that it came with was supposed to be from, but it certainly wasn't Highlander. I found some pictures of some originals on Google and then got an artist who I've dealt with before (alexdon) on Fiverr to convert the picture into a nice clean SVG. Took that SVG into Tinkercad, and generated a 3d model of the tsuba in the proper size (about 80mm seems right). Printed it on my MP Select Mini, and it turned out very nice. I was going to make one on my CNC, but the 3d printer is just so quiet, clean and easy. Plus - it's a wood-bladed sword, with a plastic handle - how strong does the tsuba need to be? Actually, the printed one seems plenty strong enough.

Got everything fitted together, and it's looking pretty nice. Lots of work yet to do, but at least it's well-started. I'll post up some pics tomorrow.

Thanks,
jason

Some pics...

Next up, a lot of sanding, priming, sanding and painting...

The sword as it originally looked...
IMG_2460.JPG

Here's my wooden nakago that fits the handle nicely...
IMG_2500.JPG

Trimmed-down plastic handle + plastic tsuba + wooden blade
IMG_2495.JPG

Stare into the mouth of doom!
IMG_2491.JPG

My 3D printed replica tsuba
IMG_2490.JPG

Some detail on the handle cast.
IMG_2481.JPG

Inside the handle...
IMG_2475.JPG

The original blade... notice the heat discoloration that I added:)
IMG_2467.JPG

Things are starting to move!
IMG_2463.JPG

The 3D printed tsuba again...
IMG_2512.JPG

Thanks,
jason

Last edited:
Wow! That's looking good! This is the type of thing that I was wondering if anyone had attempted when I started my thread. Much better than a simple repaint. Nice work! Look forward to seeing more!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got some more progress done over the week-end. Sanded the 3D printed tsuba down (could have done more, but it was hard to see). Used 200x. Then I primed it using a Rustoleum Primer Filler from HomeDepot, and then I went from 400x up to 12000x (using mostly micro-mesh pads from Lee Valley - http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=62127&cat=1,42500). Then I gave it a couple of coats of a gold spray paint I had laying around. I forget the name, but the color looked pretty brassy to me, so good enough. I probably could have given it another coat of primer just to close off the grooves/seams that I missed, but live and learn.

For the tsuka, I tried to file off the casting seams as well as I could without removing detail. Then I primed it with a white spray primer of some kind, and then a couple of coats of an off white called "Ivory Bisque". I figured anything with ivory in the name is probably close enough. I'll give it a few more days to dry, and then I'm thinking about a light wipe with some very light yellow/brown acrylic.

Next up, the blade I think...

Thanks,
jason

Attachments

• IMG_2532.JPG
    IMG_2532.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,091
  • IMG_2525.JPG
    IMG_2525.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 275
  • IMG_2524.JPG
    IMG_2524.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 439
  • IMG_2519.JPG
    IMG_2519.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 416
I'm going to prime it with my good 'ol Primer/Filler, then sand it just like the tsuba. And then a couple of coats of silver and a couple gloss clear coats. Unless anyone else knows a better way to get a shine on a wooden blade. I would have used the tape, but then there's the seam to deal with...

Thanks,
jason

Took a day off yesterday (thanks Ottawa freezing rain), and made some more progress. Added the brass bolt to the tsuka (50 cents at Home Depot plus 1 minute on the belt sander to get it down to the right length). Primed, sanded, primed, sanded/sanded/sanded the blade, and then gave it a couple of coats of "Brilliant Silver" spray paint. It was the most steel-ish looking silver of 3 silvers I had. Looks pretty good, but I think a few coats of gloss clearcoat will make it even glossier:)

I'll post up some pics later today when I get home (forgot my phone while it was charging).

Thanks,
jason

Here's some pics from the latest work. Picked up some gloss clearcoat yesterday, but it was just too windy to spray, so I'll have to wait to finish the blade off. Still have to drill/pin the blade to the tsuka,and the tsuka still needs some light antiquing. But it's coming together:)

Thanks,
jason

Attachments

• IMG_2558.JPG
    IMG_2558.JPG
    356.4 KB · Views: 305
  • IMG_2556.JPG
    IMG_2556.JPG
    975.8 KB · Views: 308
  • IMG_2544.JPG
    IMG_2544.JPG
    918 KB · Views: 296
  • IMG_2543.JPG
    IMG_2543.JPG
    906.8 KB · Views: 466
Did some more work on the blade - gave it a coat of gloss clearcoat. Still didn't like the say it looked, so I gave it a shot with the aluminum tape. That didn't work out well with the curves of the katana blade (at least in my unskilled hands). So, took the tape off (which came off easily, taking the clear coat with it). Sanded it down again. I've bought a new kind of spray paint I haven't used before, Rust-oleum Metallics Silver, and I'm going to give that a try next.

Got the mekugi + two side covers made up on Tinkercad. Printed them up, sanded them, and they now fit great. Drilled the hole through the blade tang to secure the blade,and it was a millimeter off. I'm always a millimeter off on those! Drilled a little bit closer to the handle, and added a cardboard shim on the other side of the hole to eat up the slack. Fits nicely now.

Next up, once the cold weather lets up, is spray painting the blade again. This time I'm going to do two coats of gloss black and then the silver. And the mekugi covers need a coat of ivory + antiquing so that they blend in.

Also, went through the movie and took some better quality screen shots than what I've seen online.

Mekugi + side pins for 3d printing:
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2174784
https://tinkercad.com/things/kCQ4d8cxzM4

Thanks,
jason

- - - Updated - - -

Some more screen shots...

Thanks,
jason

Attachments

• vlcsnap-error636.jpg
    vlcsnap-error636.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 299
  • vlcsnap-error571.jpg
    vlcsnap-error571.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 235
  • vlcsnap-error411.jpg
    vlcsnap-error411.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 280
  • vlcsnap-error272.jpg
    vlcsnap-error272.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 297
  • vlcsnap-error218.jpg
    vlcsnap-error218.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 268
  • vlcsnap-error179.jpg
    vlcsnap-error179.jpg
    218 KB · Views: 294
  • vlcsnap-error111.jpg
    vlcsnap-error111.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 413
  • IMG_2589.JPG
    IMG_2589.JPG
    996.1 KB · Views: 255
  • IMG_2587.JPG
    IMG_2587.JPG
    933.6 KB · Views: 342
  • IMG_2583.JPG
    IMG_2583.JPG
    552.3 KB · Views: 352
  • vlcsnap-error810.jpg
    vlcsnap-error810.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 290
  • vlcsnap-error804.jpg
    vlcsnap-error804.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 237
  • vlcsnap-error674.jpg
    vlcsnap-error674.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 232
  • vlcsnap-error660.jpg
    vlcsnap-error660.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 255
Finished it up - gloss coated the blade, painted the pin and got it tight. There's definite room for improvement, but I think it's pretty good, and the next one will turn out better.

Comic Con, here I come!:)

Thanks,
jason

Attachments

• IMG_2659.JPG
    IMG_2659.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 477
  • IMG_2661.JPG
    IMG_2661.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 466
  • IMG_2663.JPG
    IMG_2663.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 304
Very nice! Turned out great. Would love to see a photo of the full cosplay once you have it.

Pretty cool, the original stunt had the habaki painted on .. im working on a screen accurate stunt version .. but yours looks pretty cool

Man your sword looks like the real thing. I had the same idea to make myself a aluminium training Connor sword. It's easy to find the H1 sword Tsuka as most are near accurate to the film, not so with the Duncan MacLeod one from the series, the basic shape is fine just wrong carvings on it.
I'm actually going to do roughly the same as you but take a cast of the Tsuka. And make a new one from carbon fibre and high strength resin (or Kevlar fibre), just need to figure out how to get the colours right for that aged ivory look. And I will be doing the same Tsuba as well out of brass, just a little thinner than the movie version for handling and control purposes.
And if it looks good and can repeat the process easily, I will probably put it on my website I am working on for custom training weapons.

hi, it’s a rough take on elizabeth style clothes of the time and you would need to find a competent seamstress to make one.. i have seen several really good versions and i believe there are several patterns out there .. but for the most part it will take you some research and time. i do recall there was a costumer years back who blogged with pics and materials about making the entire costume .. i had messaged him about sending him an h1 and the sword belt for a photo op but never heard back from him ..

what about the photos you posted? do those lead to the patterns?

here’s how one guy made it

and a seamstress page on an amazing collection of photos of the costume

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back