Start of a Sonic Screwdriver Adiction?

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by Cyber, May 13, 2012.

1. Cyber

Cyber Active Member

I already have a russrep 4th doctor sonic.
    I also have an 8th doctor sonic on its way via eBay and a 10th doctor sonic hopefully heading my way.
    I am also keen on getting a 3rd doctor and a Romana sonic.
    And I would very much like to see if anyone has done anything to create a 2nd doctor sonic.

Basically I am heavily drawn towards well constructed sonic screwdrivers.

Does this mean I am starting to be addicted?:wacko
    If so don't tell my wife!

But I guess from posts I have seen on these forums I am in good company.:thumbsup

2. Sundowner

Sundowner Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

:thumbsupI'm sure folks would love to see pictures. We like pictures around here

3. Cyber

Cyber Active Member

Here is my current sonic screwdriver.
    I have one on its way soon courteous of late night eBay shopping and another hopefully not far behind from an online purchase.

4. Rassilon

Rassilon Well-Known Member

I do think your wife is going to notes you spending to much time on the internet, she may think your up to something, or avoiding her. Best to tell her that you have a an obsessions with prop replicas now, before she finds out about your secret, by finding you playing with your Sonics.

5. Cyber

Cyber Active Member

Luckily my wife does know about my Doctor Who obsession, and humours me pretty well. She is used to DVD's and other stuff 'magically' appearing in my office at home.
    I just need to 'creative' about the real costs!
    I am fortunate to have a wife who is understanding. :love

6. The Next Doctor

The Next Doctor Well-Known Member

It's okay.

GreatWazoo, Straker, and I have setup a support group for this type of addiction. Go ahead and send us the sonics you have now, and if you feel the need in purchasing others, you can ship them directly to us.

Remember that we are here for you.

7. Rassilon

Now that’s the support you only get from the good members of therpf,
    Willing to take on other members fetishes as there own.

8. dbalschi

dbalschi Sr Member

Tell me about it, I have 3 more than I did a year ago and dare I say it GASP I think I might like them better than lightsabers.

9. Interceptor6

Interceptor6 Sr Member

You're ok here, ...but watch where you sasy that!:unsure

10. Cyber

Cyber Active Member

Thought I'd attach pictures of my latest acquisition.
    I got the Sonic from eBay, and the keys I have had for a while but thought I'd post a picture.

I think from what I have found that the sonic is russrep McGann sonic, but i have no supporting info for that!!
    The keys are also of unknown provenance.

Now I am just awaiting deliverer of my latest order of russrep sonics and my collection will be looking a lot better!

11. sonicprops

sonicprops Active Member

i love the mcgann sonic it is amazing

Last edited: Jun 3, 2012
  12. sonicprops

sonicprops Active Member

the mcgann sonic if one of my all time Favourites along with the matt smith sonic screwdriver I am drawing up the plans for a second doctors sonic screwdriver I am working on so if any one has any questions I will try and answer them I am looking for information on the 11th doctors sonic cane
    if any one knows any thing

13. Rassilon

There have been some very nice work preformed on the sonic cane by some members on here, do a search for that, the search if your friend. :thumbsup

14. CaptainDave1701

CaptainDave1701 Active Member

Sonic's are cool......

15. greatwazoo42

greatwazoo42 Sr Member

LOLZ! Yeah, what he said. :thumbsup

16. karstva

karstva Well-Known Member

MOAR SONIXS!!!!!!

Hi..my name is Karsten, and I am a Sonic Screwdriver addict!!!!

17. greatwazoo42

greatwazoo42 Sr Member

18. Rassilon

Yeah wazoo42 has one very serious addiction with Sonics, I have been told that he may even sleep with his Sonic collection, just so he knows were they are at all times.

This is only a roomer, and I have no way of verifying the above roomer started by myself.

19. greatwazoo42

greatwazoo42 Sr Member

20. Straker

Straker Well-Known Member

Careful now, Cyber. You're on the start of a long career in collecting XD After a bit I stopped with plastic toy sonics all together. I can't seem to get enough metal ones XD I should post a shot of mine sometime. XD

BTW, those keys. If I'm as familiar with the casting as i think I am...which is considerably, those first two keys appear to be the new Mooncrest Models keys I reviewed. The chain and jump ring and dual layered design on that Pertwee looks exactly like mine at any rate. XD

21. Cyber

Cyber Active Member

You are right two of the keys are Mooncrest, only one is unknown.
    Plastic sonics don't excite me too much, but I guess a really good quality one might be ok.

Hopefully when I get back from holiday I will have some new additions to my collection. :)

22. Holluba

Holluba Active Member

Cyber, your 'unknown" key is The Stamp Centre of London's licensed replica from about 5 years ago. They still pop up from time to time on Ebay, though I believe their shop has quite a bit of stock on these left.

Holluba

23. Cyber

Cyber Active Member

Thanks very much for the info, I appreciate that.

24. Straker

No, it's not. It's a Mooncrest key.
    [​IMG]
    I recognize the sculpt style and besides that, the chain and that little bass jump ring which is the same as the McCoy key in Cybers pic, which also uses the same jump ring and chain which is also the same color material as the Pertwee and is also a Mooncrest Models Tardis Key. Only difference between my key and Cybers is that I changed mine to a steel jump ring and stainless steel curb chain. It's the same exact key. I just did a huge review of that key and recognize the casting. it's a Mooncrest casting and so is the McCoy key.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2012
  25. Cyber

Cyber Active Member

I thought Holluba meant the other key, not the Mooncrest one.

26. Holluba

Holluba Active Member

Cyber referes to the key on the far right of his 'three keys' picture as the 'Unknown' key, this is the Stamp Centre key, the others in the centre and far left are obviously the Mooncrest replicas.

27. Straker

EDIT: Oh that one. Sorry. I guess this teaches me to type when I'm tired XD Never mind me! Sorry, sorry! XP

28. sonicprops

sonicprops Active Member

[​IMG]
    I have seen this concept art for a sonic screwdriver and i am thinking about making one has
    anybody got any ideas on how. I might make 2 and convert one in to a torch .what do you think ?

29. Straker

Well, a few things, one is that you might want to open a new thread for that to ask advice on making a prop since asking about it here on a thread about collecting means it isn't a related topic. Another thing is that you'd also want to ask the originator of the art if they are OK with that, in a similar fashion to Wazoo when he had a replica made of someone else' art into a prop. Lastly the complexity of that would make it very expensive indeed.

30. sonicprops

sonicprops Active Member

thank you for your advice.

31. Cyber

Cyber Active Member

OK, here is my latest sonic acquisition, and I am blaming Greatwazoo42 for this! :)
    Basically after watching some YouTube clips by GreatWazoo42 I saw in one of the descriptions contact details for the guy that made one of the sonics he was talking about.

Basically I emailed the guy asking if he still offered the sonics, and am I glad I did email him, what a great guy!
    The guy got back in touch with some example pictures and basically said any pattern and any colours could be specified at no extra cost.
    After a bit of research I settled on this design and gave him the info.
    A short while later he sent me pictures for approval and then in the post arrived my new Romana style sonic.

It may not be 100% accurate but I am pleased with the final look.

So I owe a big thanks to Greatwazoo42 and his YouTube clips, cheers. :thumbsup

32. greatwazoo42

greatwazoo42 Sr Member

I love being an evil influence. LOL! :D Glad I could help. I try to make sure contact info for anyone still making sonics that I have is in the description section of my videos so others can partake of the joy of owning one.

33. The Next Doctor

Would you look at that, I think I have seen that Sonic before. :lol

I am glad you like it.

34. Cyber

Cyber Active Member

Are you Sean?

35. The Next Doctor

Shhhhh! Don't tell anyone.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

36. Cyber

Cyber Active Member

Before joining these forums I had ordered a Tenant style sonic, it turns out the person I bought from is a banned member here (CT), but I am not making comments on that and will only be commenting on the sonic itself.
    The sonic arrived this week, and upon realising what was waiting at the post office I had to rush there and collect it!

Firstly, the case it came in is quite compact and the cutouts well made, so the sonic was well protected during shipping and will be protected well when stored away.

I was surprised (pleasantly) by the weight, it feels good to hold and not at all flimsy.
    The slider action is pretty smooth, and whilst there is a tiny bit of flex when extended I don't see how this could be improved much without causing binding, and to be honest this is a comment and definitely not a criticism.
    The light is pretty bright when lit, and the sound effect is ok too.
    The crackle finish on the handle is also pretty good, and has a good used look about it.

All in all I am pretty pleased with it, and it is the first Eccleston/Tenant style sonic in my collection. (Hopefully not my last of this type though!)

37. The_Mike

The_Mike Well-Known Member

I just got into the Sonics game myself. Because instantly obsessed with Doctor Who when my wife introduced me to it in March and have been religiously watching every day ever since. I have the 4th Doctor's sonic on order and have been scouring for a 10th Doctor's version well done since. I just started seeing custom Sonics too and am starting to get the itch to go for those too. :D

38. Muldwych

Muldwych Member

Love Sonics, but not the current TV version im afraid.

My all time No1 has to be Rivers Sonic. (though not sure how that is going to fit into the series continuity now it was destroyed in '11th hour'). The CO toy is great & so hard to find these days so im glad I bought one when I did. :)

Last edited: Jul 18, 2012
  39. Cyber

Cyber Active Member

Here are my latest sonics.

First is a Romana style one, this one I can again blame GreatWazoo for as I got it from another source on his YouTube videos...
    View attachment 118622

Next are my RussRep sonics from the recent run...
    View attachment 118623

40. Straker

Very nice collection so far! The RB sonics so far are some of the best for classic sonics. Especially the sound types. I still need a Davison though.

[​IMG]

Still need the pinstriping tape to come in so I can finish the Pertwee sonic.

BTW, who did you order the Romana from? I've been wanting to get that version for awhile now. XD

41. Cyber

Cyber Active Member

I got it from SimplyProps, got the contact details from their YouTube video.

42. Straker

Well no, you posted two Romanas. One is a Simply Props but who made the other one?

43. Cyber

Cyber Active Member

I do have three different Romana style sonics. :)
    One from RussRep.
    One from Simply Props and the other from a guy I contacted via GreatWazoo's YouTube video, not sure he wanted me to post his details here but check out the YouTube video, let me know if you need the URL.

44. greatwazoo42

greatwazoo42 Sr Member

Glad I could help. "D "The Other Guy" is also a member here on the RPF and I'm sure he'll be happy that you're happy with one of his works.

45. The Next Doctor

I am always happy when someone is happy with my work...

46. greatwazoo42

greatwazoo42 Sr Member

HEY! Look! It's that "other guy!" Happy Otherstide, Otherly Dude! How goes it?

47. The Next Doctor

Other than building a new house and selling my present house, it is going ok. I will send you and Straker the new address so you can ship your sonics to me. I will have a nice place for them here.

48. greatwazoo42

greatwazoo42 Sr Member

LOL! Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

49. Straker

HA! Haha! XD You're a real card XD