Starspeeder 3000 miniature (TINY) ID

Discussion in 'Studio Scale Models' started by joez2391, Sep 10, 2015.

1. joez2391

joez2391 Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Just curious if anyone can figure this part out on the back of the tiny Starspeeder 3000 model. I would like this to confirm measurements before i start a build. According to what I've calculated out so far, the part in question should be approx .5cm x 1cm. Yeah i know, really tiny!! hoping that this is from a readily available kit so i can start the build. Start tours was filmed in 1986 so I'm sure it came from an already ID'd kit. Thanks for the help!

Starspeeder ID close up.jpg img7.jpg img9.jpg

2. Vacformedhero

Vacformedhero Sr Member

Hi, I cannot help with those parts, but here are images of ILM star speeder model from Star Wars chronicles

Attached Files:

3. joez2391

thanks for the pics from chronicles! first time I've seen the bottom of the starspeeder...notice the hidden mickey up front? I started a replica of that model but it was out of my skill level at the time. That's why i want to make a replica of the smaller one to use as a study model to get the proportions down for the 1/24th build down the road.

This part has me stumped though, I've looked as so many old kids but so far I haven't found anything similar in shape. It looks to be gray injected plastic where the paint has chipped off of it, not that that narrows it down at all :facepalm

4. Vacformedhero

Vacformedhero Sr Member

looks like part from tank track wheel mounting mechanism

5. joez2391

It must be a small scale tank at least 1/72 right?

6. Vacformedhero

Vacformedhero Sr Member

leave it with me, I have a shed load of 1:72/76 tanks I bought recently, I'll see if any look close

7. joez2391

Well after a few days of searching I finally found the kit part!! It is from the Tamiya 1/35th German 88mm Flak 36/37. Talk about a tricky piece to ID, it looks to be the back part of the seat, just shaved off the left and right sides. I'm actually surprised I found it being such a small piece, pretty exciting... I can see why you guys like this whole studio scale thing so much ;)

Tamiya 1 35th German 88mm Flak 36 37 kit scan.png

Treadwell likes this.
  8. joez2391

9. Vacformedhero

Vacformedhero Sr Member

Well done

joez2391 likes this.
  10. joez2391

Thanks for taking the time to check your kits as well, I really appreciate it!

This is really works out well, the measurements taken by Prop Store did not seem right so being able to scale this to the actual kit part will help get the sizing finalized.

11. joez2391

Re: Starspeeder 3000 miniature - ID & Build

So I finally received the 88mm kit in the mail, and part #26 is perfect! It was best to wait for it before starting so I could double check measurements. The sides of the part need to be sanded flat on both sides before it gets attached.

Using the kit part as a size reference, I drafted a set of complete blueprints for this model by drawing the basic shapes on the computer and then hand drawing in each panel line and detail that is unique to the smaller model that i will be replicating.

The original was carved out of wood (you can see the grains in the front nose) so to achieve this effect, I will be using balsa foam. It's a great material for this project... holds small details really well and is a lot easier to work with than a chunk of wood.

Really excited to get this project started!

IMG_0587.jpg IMG_0592.jpg FullSizeRender.jpg

Attached Files:

Vacformedhero likes this.