Starship Troopers -Morita Assault Rifle

Spaceboy

I thought I would share my build progress for my Morita Assault Rifle from Starship Troopers. I will be making the build from cardboard and builders fill, and a few odds and ends (springs) to make the triggers and shotgun part work. Since I was going to make 2, and a Fleet Morita I made templates out of cheap car before using high density stuff for the props.

I have begun by scaling a drawing, making a template and cutting out the bits of card that would be used to create the layers of detail.

Morita Template.jpgMorita Layers.pngMorita templates layed out.png

So all the card has been cut out and I have now started to build out the centre section by running 16mm high density foam along the two large central pieces of the fun which will act as a spine.
Pieces.jpg
i pulled a front hand grip from an old bb gun and ran it through some dowl, the internal mechanisms comprised of springs nestled into areas so that tension kept them held in place.
inside the spine.jpginternal mechanism.jpg

Cheers, I am afraid a few progress shots got lost in the excitement of things coming together but here is the barrel being inserted into the spine after it had been sealed to hold the triggers and grenade mechanism in place, and some photos of the detailing I have done on the rear. Builders fill was used, and sanded to create rounded edges and fill small gaps.
Barrel insert.jpgIMG_1484.jpg

IMG_1485.jpgIMG_1487.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1488.jpg
    IMG_1488.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 231
  • IMG_1486.jpg
    IMG_1486.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 248
SO today I have been working one a bit of the shaping (with builders fill) around the butt of the gun and making and fiting the magazine clips. These are held in with both magnets and the friction of making the magazines .5mm wider than the slot the fit into.
I pre painted the panels that get glued into the inside of the magazines so that the colours remained sharp (and I kept the original black mesh colour without having to paint and dry-brush later).
The gaps insides were then filled with a rim of foam and then builders fill to create a sharp finish.
Lines were cut in the card for detailing and then......after taping over the mesh gaps
Priming time!!!!!
Inside the ammo clip.jpgAmmo Clip.jpgPriming.jpg

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back