Starship Troopers Helmet

sapper36

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I just got a MIM Starship Troopers Helmet - Anybody got any hints or pics to help finishing it up? Whats the correct color?

I had a friend who was nice enough to get his screen used helmet scanned to have the paint computer matched. I used this paint to repaint a couple of screen used helmets that had been repainted after the production of SST.

Here are a few helmets owned by me and a number of my friends. All are screen used.

If you have any specific questions, I will be glad to try to help.

helmet1.jpg

helmet2.jpg

helmet3.jpg

helmet4.jpg

helmet5.jpg

helmet6.jpg

helmet7.jpg

Are there supposed to be pics here? o_O

Also I have a replica resin molded helmet I bought form some one sometime ago and I've never got around to painting it... And I'm trying to get ready for Otakon this year and I planned on finishing my SST gear.

Soooo... if you have the paint colors I would need to paint my helmet can you please post the information please o_O thank you :)

Are there supposed to be pics here? o_O

Also I have a replica resin molded helmet I bought form some one sometime ago and I've never got around to painting it... And I'm trying to get ready for Otakon this year and I planned on finishing my SST gear.

Soooo... if you have the paint colors I would need to paint my helmet can you please post the information please o_O thank you :)

there were pics 6 years ago but have probably long since been moved

yeah after I posted that I saw the year dates -_- but none the less I'd hope someone would still have the color code needed for the helmet colors... I want to get mine painted before Otakon o.o

A popular choice is Testors Panzer gray their stock number 1950,
U.S. Government Federal Standard FS36076

New family portrait.

SSTHelmets001JPEG.jpg

Although it just looks like a little putty and, VIOLA!, they're done; there's a lot more involved than that.
The green one to the left is a badly damaged, poorly molded production piece that had been relegated to paint tests,
and the gray one on the right is a Golden Armor made helmet with spikey, blown-in fiberglass sticking out all over the inside.
I completely sealed and refinished the GA helmet,
and I had to saw cut the green one to lay new mat on the inside to correct it, as well as rebuilding external features on both.

SSTHelmets002.jpg

Ohhh, yeahhhh, NOW I remember why I put off finishing them....

SSThelmet008JPEG.jpg

I'm finishing these up for inclusion in the new Firefly Fan Film, "First Meeting".

Lower quality pic, but the work is further along:

SSTHelmets004JPEG.jpg

Mike
My Firefly/Serenity Collection:
SerenityMovie.net :: View topic - Firefly/Serenity Weapons Collection

I so want one of these! I know the originals were designed to have a clear faceplate that extended down to about nose level, but were left off most of the helmets on screen. I believe the only ones that had the faceplate were the tower gunner helmets, but I could be wrong... wouldn't be the first time and won't be the last!

Those look amazing. I'm going to write down the paint number... thingy. I've not looked at mine in a while, but a friend made it and didn't need it anymore and sold it to me. So I don't think theirs alot of damage to it cosmetically or not... Although I know the inside is kinda... spiky :/ And advice on how to fix that so I don't end up poking holes in my brain?

SNIP
Although I know the inside is kinda... spiky :/
And advice on how to fix that so I don't end up poking holes in my brain?

Sure; get some 60grit sandpaper and sand the whole inside of the helmet.
Then get some automotive fiberglass resin.
(You don't need the fiberglass mat, just the resin and hardener.)
Mix up a fair sized batch and paint the inside of the helmet with the resin.
After it dries, sand it with some 120 or 150 grit paper.
You'll probably re-expose some glass fibers.
Re-paint with another layer of resin.
Viola! Good as new!
After that, you'll need to cut a bunny liner out of foam.

Mike

Sweetness thanks :D I'm going to copy and paste this into a notepad file on my PC so I can look at it again when I get the chance to go out and buy the stuff.............. Would you think I could find the resin stuff at a AutoZone? o_O cause I don't know where to find such things -_-

Sweetness thanks :D I'm going to copy and paste this into a notepad file on my PC so I can look at it again when I get the chance to go out and buy the stuff.............. Would you think I could find the resin stuff at a AutoZone? o_O cause I don't know where to find such things -_-

Walmart carries fiberglass resin.
But sure, Autozone, Pep Boys; any car place carries the stuff.
I'll try to get a pic when I get home.
I cut a Shedd Spread container down to about an 1-1/2 high for a mixing bowl.
When you're done it hardens and you can break the resin out of the bowl and reuse it.

Mike

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back