Starship Troopers - Bugs in My Head

Art Andrews

Community Owner
Community Staff
This is how my collecting of screen-used props began; with a set of Starship Troopers armor. I bought my first set from someone here on the RPF in 2004. Shortly after I bought several more sets and put them up on my domain "Bugs in My Head" (a nod to Starship Troopers 2 and Pearl Jam).

Anyway, I am no longer maintaining that domain, but wanted to transfer the information from it here, so here is a little blast from my past and a nod to how the screen-used collecting began.

Field Radio Operator
This costume was the very first I bought and close to the last to be finished. The many pieces have been replaced and swapped up to 5 times before I got the exact piece I wanted. This trooper is a compilation of the very best features and accessories of the Mobile Infantry costume. At its core is an "A' grade MI costume, including hero resin grenades, and a rare "A" grade helmet with visor mounts. The tunic was worn by the Fed Net cameraman during the Klendathu battle. This costume's basic setup is that of the Field Radio Operators in the movie: Dizzy, Ace, and Sgt Gillespie. The radio communications pack is the hero fiberglass pack, with working lights, that was worn by Ace Levy in the arachnid cave scenes. This pack includes a screen used rubber stunt hand comm. I have added the navigation GPS tracking watch that Ace wearing during the Whiskey outpost scenes and Sugar wears during the arachnid tunnel scenes. Finally, I added a visor to my helmet as is worn by the tower gunners during the Whiskey Outpost scenes.

Note: Only the armor, helmet, and pack are shown in the images below. While not pictured, this is a complete costume, including a hero fiberglass Morita rifle.

fro_01.jpg

fro_02.jpg

fro_03.jpg

fro_04.jpg

fro_grenades.jpg

fro_helmet.jpg

fro_cameraman.jpg

fro_dizzy.jpg

fro_ace.jpg

fro_gillespie.jpg

fro_commpack.jpg

fro_ace_cave.jpg

fro_comm.jpg

fro_watch.jpg

fro_watch_sugar.jpg

fro_gunner.jpg

fro_morita.jpg

Combat Medic
This costume was the quickest to complete as it was close to 100% intact when I purchased it. The helmet belonged to Eric Da're (of Twin Peaks fame) who is credited as a medic in Starship Troopers. This helmet has been screen matched to the helmet worn by the lead medic called on by Sgt Zim after breaking cadet Breckinridge's arm.

Note: Only the upper body and helmet are shown in the images below. While not pictured, this is a complete costume, including a small supply case used as a medic's kit since the medic doesn't have any accessories.

medic_costume_01.jpg

medic_costume_02.jpg

medic_costume_03.jpg

medic_costume_04.jpg

medic_case.jpg

Wounded Mobile Infantryman
This costume was intended to be assembled piecemeal from leftover armor parts. The result was to be a soldier who had been dismembered and was to be displayed in conjunction with the combat medic. However, this project slowly evolved from a very poorly assembled display piece into a fully complete and wearable A grade costume that included a broken arachnid claw impaled through the chest, loosely based on the claw that mortally wounds Dizzy. This costume could be considered a stage 2 Sgt Gillespie costume as it was inspired by the field radio operator who is impaled by a hopper bug and subsequently killed by Lt Rasczak. Before pursuing this project, I commissioned a friend to create a concept sketch to help me visualize what the final costume would look like.

As mentioned above, this costume is comprised of several sets of the screen used armor and costume pieces. Everything but the blood and arachnid claw, which was sculpted from foam and Bondo, is screen used. The ab plate had a hole punched in the lower chest during filming, and has been identified as belonging to the Fed-Net cameraman who is impaled while filming during the initial attack on Klendathu. Five additional holes were cut in the armor to correspond with Sgt Gillespie's injuries. A Halloween mask was cut apart and used to create the torn flesh under the holes in the armor. The arachnid claw is two separate pieces, one attaching to the back plate and the other attaching to the front. Finally, two coats of stage blood were applied, first, a thick “fresh scab” gel and then thinner standard blood was added on top. While the costume is fully wearable, the blood makes it incredibly sticky and quite uncomfortable.

I am very proud of the overall look and feel of this costume, as I believe it captures the graphic and gory essence that is the trademark of Starship Troopers.

Note: Only the armor and helmet are shown in the images below. While not pictured, this is a complete costume, including a rubber stunt Morita rifle.

wia_armor_01.jpg

wia_armor_02.jpg

wia_armor_03.jpg

wia_armor_04.jpg

wia_cameraman.jpg

wia_morita.jpg

wia_sketch.jpg

INSTALLING M-3 TACTICAL HELMET EAR COVERS
Tools needed:
- Hand drill with 3/16" bit
- Dremel with 1/4" sanding drum
- Devcon "Plastic Welder" 2 part epoxy
- Flat Black Paint in an aerosol can

Start with a "B" Grade M-3 Tactical Helmet which has solid fiberglass ear detail.
helmet_01.jpg

Drill a small pilot hole in the center of the ear detail on each side of the helmet. Be cautious not to use too large a drill bit as it may chip and crack the fiberglass.
helmet_02.jpg

Use a Dremel with a 1/4" sanding drum to slowly enlarge the pilot hole, test-fitting the brass ear cover until it fits in the hole and is centered in the ear detail.
helmet_03.jpg

The original ear covers are Stimpson part #D2263. They are brass with an outer diameter of 1" and an inner diameter of 3/4". You MAY be able to get "samples" from Stimpson, but they are notoriously difficult to deal with. Alternatively, you can pick up ear covers from 626AM here. Their covers have an outer diameter of 1" and an inner diameter of 1/2".
vents_01.jpg

Paint ear covers inside and out with aerosol flat black paint.
vents_02.jpg

Carefully Dremel the inner edge of ear covers to allow the epoxy to more solidly adhere to the surface..
vents_03.jpg

Apply a thin layer of 2 part epoxy around the inner edge of ear cover then gently insert into the hole in the helmet. Make sure cover is properly aligned and hold in place until epoxy sets.
helmet_04.jpg

Last edited:
Great collection Sir!
I [belatedly] went bananas over this brilliant movie when I discovered Reel clothes, back in the day, and collared several costumes-and a rubber [stunt] radio backpack.
I dont want to recall how much it all cost to ship to the UK [although it would be even more cripplingly expensive now?].
One day I will catch up on the 21st Century and post some pics.
We.re gonna fight, and we're gonna WIN!
sstnickg

Great pieces and thanks again for sharing Art! I really love seeing what other people have out there. If budgets weren't a thing, I would definitely add a MI trooper pieces to my collection.

I don’t suppose you have or know someone willing to part with gloves, water bottle/pouch, and leg sheath? It’s all I need to finish my suit.

I don’t suppose you have or know someone willing to part with gloves, water bottle/pouch, and leg sheath? It’s all I need to finish my suit.
You've probably already checked reelclothes?

Great Zodangan armour by the way. I love JCOM and have a focus on it.

You've probably already checked reelclothes?

Great Zodangan armour by the way. I love JCOM and have a focus on it.

I’ve known Holly and Leonard for 20 years. Holly hooked me up with everything minus helmet and armor. I found those from another source. I found some replica foam grenades but the leg sheath, Moria, and water bottle are the last items I’ll need.

I’ve known Holly and Leonard for 20 years. Holly hooked me up with everything minus helmet and armor. I found those from another source. I found some replica foam grenades but the leg sheath, Moria, and water bottle are the last items I’ll need.
Got all my SST uniforms/props from them-and a few from "Costume junkie" back in the day-if its you, thank you again sir!

Got all my SST uniforms/props from them-and a few from "Costume junkie" back in the day-if its you, thank you again sir!

I sold probably 15 fiberglass long and short moritas and 20 stunt long and short. Who knows how many MI complete uniforms and other items. I'm glad I could help back then.

So am I-, I think you sold me the generals hat and jacket, a complete jumpball costume, and at least x1 helmet-one of [possibly]Ace's, as I recall, and many other non SST items..
You helped set me on this slippery, fabulous road, great to see you on the Rpf sir!

Glad I got my stuff when I did, seems it all dried up and when stuff comes up for sale it's ridiculously priced.

Nice collection Art, especially love the dead trooper :)

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back