Stargate Horus/Anubis Helmet WIP

dmaul

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I've always liked these helmets from the movie and I might be crazy but I will try my hand at making one. I will be using the Horizon 1/5 scale kit as a major source of reference along with whatever pics I can find on the internet. So the madness begins, again.....

5232011132-2-1.jpg

And here's the basic shape that I'm happy with. Bondo and sanding in the garage with the Texas heat was not fun, but we're all a little crazy aren't we?
Picture154.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, lots of love for SG recently. This makes the third "announced" lobsterback project, with others possibly in the wings. Makes for great insurance, lol!

Good luck. How are you going to detail it, bondo or sculpting?

Nice. I've got these very props in the works right now. I'll definately keep an eye on this while I'm working on mine. Can't wait to see more.

Wow, lots of love for SG recently. This makes the third "announced" lobsterback project, with others possibly in the wings. Makes for great insurance, lol!

Good luck. How are you going to detail it, bondo or sculpting?

3rd? Wow, wasn't aware that there were that many in the works. Two main reason I am building one is that there wasn't a kit currently available. The 2nd is that I probably couldn't afford one anyway.

I just used bondo to form the shape but will sculpt in the details. Never sculpted or worked with clay before so this will be a new experience. Wanted to try out Chavant NSP clay but the local store sold me a different clay that is completely liquid when melted. Here are pics with the clay melted and then brushed on and I'm happy with the results.

Picture159.jpg
Picture157.jpg

Here I've sanded the inside and begin to lay down a different clay for the middle step part.

Picture162.jpg
72311007.jpg
72311010.jpg

Now the fun starts with the detailing .....

Last edited:
NIce! I've always liked those helmet! Are you going to make them disappear when pushing the little button on the gauntlet :D ?

Anyways, this is a great project!:thumbsup

NIce! I've always liked those helmet! Are you going to make them disappear when pushing the little button on the gauntlet :D ?

Anyways, this is a great project!:thumbsup

Ha Ha, how cool would that be? At this point, I'm just hoping to finish by the end of the year. Here are some pics of where I'm at. Just roughing in the details at this point as the "scarab" thing-a-ma-jig is a bit off. I'll fix it and tighten up all the details later.

72311086.jpg
72311136.jpg
72311140.jpg

Welll...now fourth, lol. Or rather, you're third, Underdog's is fourth to be spoken of, AFAIK.

Hey wow! That's looking pretty good.

How stiff is your Bondo? This is going to get heavy, in hot weather you don't want it to sag. You might want to reinforce with fibreglass?

Thanks to everyone for their comments and encouragment so far. Bondo is pretty stiff (that's what she said :lol). I have fiberglass underneath the bondo already so this thing should hold it's shape. Here are pics of a little progress.

72311141.jpg
72311149.jpg

Congratulations again! may I suggest to modify aq little the shape of the fan on the back, which is a bit different in the original helmet (more pointy at the end and seems less large)?

Last edited:
Yeah, thanks for the input on the base of the fan. I've actually tapered the bottom already but may need to make it even smaller. Still need to fix other issues with the details on the middle part and then it's onward with the sides.

72311151-1.jpg
72311154.jpg

Last edited:
I don't know about fast but I've been putting in a lot of hours lately on my days off from work. Going back to work soon so progress will not be as frequent. Anyway, here's some of the side details. Just working my way up from the bottom and the hard part is keeping the symmetry on both sides.

72311159.jpg
72911008-1.jpg
72911007-1.jpg

Last edited:
AWESOME WORK !!! I would love to have a materpeice like that as a conversation peice at home.

Thanks for sharing !! :love

Gordon

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back