Stargate Chevron Light Prop - Build

jessec

Hello folks! saw this on FuseNova's Thread & i was inspired.

FuseNova provided very nice pictures detailing the measurements hence making the whole build easier! Measuring and getting the shape is the hardest part which was simplified by the pictures and measurements provided by FuseNova (Thnx mate!). But what i did do is made my version of the chevron slightly bigger.

so - Jaffa' Kreeeee

Here we go ...

1.Ruff Draft

2. Drawing the Chevron on Plywood.
This is the most important part, as if this is done wrong here the end result will not be so good!
(so i took time grabbed a beer and drew the chevron very patiently)

Cut the shape out.

When you look at a chevron - the one thing that threw a scare at me was the cuts. If you do not have the right tools achieving nice clean inside cuts is near impossible. so i decided not to go for inside cuts i went all the way from the edge.

Added the Edge hence cheating my way to an inside cut ;)

Last edited:

jessec

Working on making the edges sharp so sanding sanding & more sanding it is...

20 mins later

Built a box (the back end)

vtswordfish

Sr Member
Looking good thus far, I bet those inside cuts were nerve-wracking...looks like they are pretty precise/thin cuts!

Mauiman

Well when you are done with those Build 8 more of those and build a ring that is say 10 feet in diameter. With 39 glyphs in it.

Glyph reference down below.

Get it motorized and *DING* you are done with the general construction of it. Be sure to paint and light the thing too.

And of course you are going to need your self one of these.

But other than the suggestions. I do have to say that this is an excellent start.

jessec

Well when you are done with those Build 8 more of those and build a ring that is say 10 feet in diameter. With 39 glyphs in it.

Glyph reference down below.

Get it motorized and *DING* you are done with the general construction of it. Be sure to paint and light the thing too.

And of course you are going to need your self one of these.

But other than the suggestions. I do have to say that this is an excellent start.
haha mate i think i will old and grey by the time i make all that :) but then again it might be worth it ' i 'd get to use that DHD in the end :love

jessec

Glued Everything up ! Since the construction has lot of gaps and is held together very softly - i Decided to use the Gorilla Glue That Expands. It acts like foam expands to fill the gaps.

Dry Time 4 hrs or so ..

Glue is all Dry So here comes more fun ! :unsureMore Sanding

Started to look and feel real Soft.

Lot of Gaps and imperfections still.

Size Idea

Next - will be filling the Gaps and more sanding...

TechDante

looking great just one thing i noticed the angle on the left side on the inside beading (the bottom piece) is not quite right other than that it looks great

Last edited:

jessec

looking great just one thing i noticed the angle on the left side on the inside beading (the bottom piece) is not quite right other than that it looks great
Ty mate.. yes mate , unfortunately I do not possess the correct tools :( this happened cus of that..but I plan on fixing the gap later on whe. I cut the plexiglass for it :)

jessec

Finally managed to fill the holes and gaps.

Filler close up

Let the sanding begin :)

More sanding needs to be done to get the price ready for paint prep..

jessec

Built the inside this was not correct when I first built it with wood, so I used some filler to build up a ruff shape. Will cut it, sand it and bondo it later.

2 hrs into it, I cut the shape and slowly sanded until I was happy.
Sanded a little bit, and used some bondo.
More sanding to follow once it all drys out.

Different views

FuseNova

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
This is going to look sooooo much better than the screen used version it was based on. Nice work.

jessec

This is going to look sooooo much better than the screen used version it was based on. Nice work.
Many thanks mate, thanks goes to you for taking time out to give out the measurements which inspired me to take a shot at it.