Stargate chevron build finally finished, also with video

Re: another Stargate chevron wall light build update

I am having a lot of trouble with the wings:wacko The problem is they are very thin and every time I fill and sand I put another dent in them.:facepalm I think I'll have to mould them, then work on the solid resin ones and then remould again.

This is really awesome, if you have any templates of this, I would love to see them. Might even think of making my own. Keep up the good work.

It's taking on a whole new shape now that you put the orange piece in place, kinda makes it look almost finished.

... I made this for myself but as I am making the molds for all the parts would there be any interest in a run? ...

Personally, I'd be all over this, but it would depend on the price, finish, and how it could ship vis-a-vis the shipping cost.

What have you got to loose ? Start an interest thread in the JY eventually :) :thumbsup

Hi Alan, an interest thread is still a way of yet. I am waiting for some cash to come in for my SGU wall sconce lights so I can afford more supplies. I should be picking the ply back plates up today from the CNC company for the wall lights. I was promised they would be done in 2-3 weeks but it has taken six:angry

Yep. Schedules are hard to keep if you depend on others. That's why I used the word 'eventually' :lol

Well I managed to get some work done on the chevron this week. The new centre V is almost finished. I have primed it, now I have to go back and do a bit more filling. The clear panel was vacuum formed from 2mm clear HIPS, I then taped on some tracing paper to defuse the light. I will be using window frosting film for the next ones. I am waiting for a quote from Eric from Replica Studios to rotocast the wings and the centre piece. After a flash of inspiration I decided to build a light box, this contains all the light, adds strength and makes it easy to fix to the wall. The mold for the back plate will be modified so that the holes will be in the plate straight from the mold. I need to get a three meter LED strip as the two meter one that I am using is a bit short.
If all go's well I will be doing a run of these but I will offer the choice of wings or no wings.
sam0626d.jpg

By andy19422 at 2012-06-24
sam0628n.jpg

sam0630km.jpg

sam0632a.jpg

sam0611.jpg

By andy19422 at 2012-06-18

Re: another Stargate chevron wall light build, long overdue update

very very nice

Thanks. I am sending the centre piece off next week to be molded and I will be remoulding the wings next week. Hopefully in two weeks I will have a complete one so I can work out the cost and start an interest thread.;)

Time for another update. I am still waiting for the center mold to come back but I have re -molded the wings and have made two slush casts of them. The back panel mold has been modified to allow for the three holes. I sprayed the mold with Citroen Meteor grey metallic paint and let it dry before pouring the resin, this makes the paint bond to the resin so I didn't have to mess around with primer, I will be using this method for the rest of the parts. I wanted to paint the chevron like this marbling effect
largefullsizesg10801001.jpg

By andy19422 at 2012-05-11
On top of the metallic paint I used a light grey Enamel, I applied it with a rolled up plastic bag.
sam0656x.jpg

By andy19422 at 2012-07-14
sam0658.jpg

sam0660u.jpg

sam0663k.jpg

Considering this is the first time I've tried using this method I'm surprised how well it turned out. I am enjoying the painting side of this and my Stargate universe sconce project.

Andy, next time try regular cellophane clear kitchen wrap instead of the plastic bags. The kitchen wrap is softer and will give a more natural marble effect vs a slightly more sharp crystalline effect the thicker/stiffer shopping bags give.

Hi Cheech I forgot to ask, your Atlantis section is a different colour to the SG1 gate isn't it? I am doing the SG1 chevron, I used a base of metallic grey with light grey on top but should I use just a normal mid gray for the base?

The SG-1 gates it depends on which your referencing. The SGC gate really has 3 hues..... a grey-black base, charcoal mid, and then some silver highlights. The Travel gate is more of a bronze base with a medium and light/bright copper highlights. Atlantis gate throws some blue hues into the mix with the silver

I have now almost finished it, just got to figure out how to mount the wings to the wall. I am happy with how it turned out although I will use a lighter base gray if I make another. I think I prefer the blue colour.
sam0761o.jpg

By andy19422 at 2012-08-01
sam0762v.jpg

By andy19422 at 2012-07-31
sam0753t.jpg

By andy19422 at 2012-07-31
sam0756r.jpg

By andy19422 at 2012-08-01

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back