Stargate chevron build finally finished, also with video

andy19422

Sr Member
This is my first ever attempt at making anything so please be gentle :lol.
I am using a resin casting from a screen used chevron to base my measurements on and lots of pictures I found on Google. I am also using blueprints from TEE, thanks mate.
I will be making the back panel that the chevron fits onto out of 10mm fibreboard then using 4mm foam to build up the shapes. I can then use this to mount the chevron too and screw the whole lot to the wall. This will also seal in the light to the chevrons two parts.
The wings are made from 75mm foam then cut in halve. I used a string with a pen loop to get the radius right. These are the first set of wings but I will make another set when I know what the end thickness of the whole thing will be. The lines on them were done using a dremal freehand, but when I do the next set I will make some thin ply guides.
The centre piece of the chevron was made using 33x20 pine then foam glued on. I have still to finish it and then fill it but I don’t think it turned out too bad. The amber panel will be the same resin that I will use to remake the V part. Feel free to point out mistakes and offer some suggestions. :)
stargatechevron002.jpg

By andy19422 at 2011-10-18
stargatechevron006.jpg

stargatechevron007.jpg

Last edited:
Re: another Stargate chevron wall light build

Oh yes, defiantly going to light them. I have two spaces on the wall waiting. I would love to see how the lighting was setup in the screen used chevrons. I was thinking of using a few small bulbs like the ones you find in ovens to get an even glow but these may produce too much heat so I might have to use LED’s and try to defuse the light in some way.

Hi guys, this is my first update, it has taken me a lot longer to get this far than I thought it would as I’ve made a few mistakes along the line. I tried to make the triangular parts from pink foam covered with filler but every time I sanded them I ended up damaging them, so after a week I gave up. I have now used 1.5 mm plastic. I cut the shapes from heavy paper first then when I was happy I drew round them on to the plastic. The larger shape is filled with expanding foam to give it a bit more strength. These were then coated in filler to give the paint something to stick to, then they were glued on and the gaps filled and sanded. I primed it today and noticed a few details that need work but I am happy how it turned out. I found some 4mm Perspex in the garage which I will try and fold with a heat gun for the centre piece.
file0857.jpg

By andy19422 at 2011-11-10
file0858.jpg

file0856.jpg

While I am waiting for some parts for my Stargate Universe wall sconce run I decided to revisit my SG1 chevron build. The back board was made from 6mm MDF then the shapes were made from single and double layers of 1mm card and glued on. The board was molded and then cast in polyurethane fast cast resin from Tomps. The chevron was cast using a clear resin that cures to a pale amber colour but it changes the light shades so I will be trying water clear next time. I am going to try tracing or greaseproof paper to defuse the light a bit more. I was going to tint the chevron amber for SG1 or blue for the Atlantis gate but I am now using an LED strip that has thirteen colours so I can do either or some other colour to suit my mood. The centre V needs a bit more work to make me happy, I'm not sure if the shape below the lighted panel slopes back or is straight, it looks different in various photos. The wings will be made of pink foam with a layer of resin to strengthen then molded and slush cast. The best way of doing the lines I have found is by using a soldering iron, this seals the foam and makes a nice edge.
sam0011i.jpg

By andy19422 at 2012-04-12
sam0017gm.jpg

sam0013l.jpg

Re: another Stargate chevron wall light build update

Thanks. As the parts are only trial bits I have only put on a coat of Gray primer to see what they look like, the next ones will be painted like the screen used ones.

Nice work, you do yourself credit. Looking forward to how this appears in final form...

t6s4l2.png

I went ahead and took a screencap from the opening in season 2 of SG-1 where they got some great shots of the gate in close up.
As you can see they do slope a bit at the tip of the chevron marker.

Keep up the awesome work!

Thanks for the great pic. I realised after I made the first foam wings that there is a slope to match the inner V. Hopefully I will start on a new set this weekend. The part I need a good pic of is this
wormhole792.jpg

By andy19422 at 2012-04-14

6iuump.png

This is the best picture that I could get from the intro of season 2 that's taken from a top angle. It showa the top shevron marker since it moves during the intro and I guess that all the other are the fixed ones.

I'm re-watching SG-1 and Atlantis, one episode a day, so if I stumble over a better close up of the gate I'll be happy to upload the screencaps for you.

Edit: I also took a shot for you too see that the side lights on the markers differ when they are all lit. Not all of the "slits" are lighted on all of the markers. But there is one that is fully lit, far left.
2554cpx.png

And as a bonus I'll give you a top view of a non-moving marker.
4sh65e.png

Last edited:

On the atlanits gates, everything is basically the same except they pushed the front of the gate out another 2 inches or so to accomodate the double set of vortex stabalizers in the inner ring area, extended the chevron outer wings by the same in depth and more less just forced the new slope angle of the panels. then flush mounted the constelation penels instead of recessing them like the regular milky way gate's moving inner ring. It looks wonky up close like these picks are but standing back like most camera shots are of the Atlantis gate it all looks normal.

If I had managed to buy a Stargate section from Propworx I would have molded it by now and had halve a gate in my living room:love

I managed to cut out the new pair of wings yesterday and gave them four coats of resin. This morning I sanded down the high spots and have started with the filler. I've realised the lines are way to wide so I will fill them and then re-cut them with a dremal.
sam0123wv.jpg

By andy19422 at 2012-04-15
sam0122c.jpg

By andy19422 at 2012-04-15

I re-cut the lines and put on a primer coat to see the parts that need work, I should have them finished in a couple of days. I am drawing the plans for remaking the centre V after I received some great photos, thanks guys. I made this for myself but as I am making the molds for all the parts would there be any interest in a run? The chevron is 53"x19"x3"
sam0184m.jpg

By andy19422 at 2012-04-16
sam0186p.jpg

sam0188q.jpg

Last edited:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back