Starfire (DC) - Heavy armor build!

FireflyEmbers

All right, I had this in the general forum, but I'm going to go ahead and move it here.

I'm Amber, one half of Firelight Cosplay. I've got a couple of Marvel costumes under my belt so my first foray into DC is going to be Starfire to go with my friends' Red Hood and Arsenal costumes.

Here's what I'm working with:
20140906_155305_zpsbacd72a9.jpg

I'm going to make it out of lycra for the body suit/soft parts, then the armored bits are going to be EVA foam. Very excited about that. :D So, on to the first bit... the soft parts!

Patterned and cut out:
20140906_230857_zps76ae215e.jpg
I always cut my bodysuits a bit big, but this one I want extra room in because I'm planning on adding piping. As I've never done this before, I'm frankly terrified. Still, sewing/tucking/doing basic fitting and I get the base bodysuit together:
20140920_164643_zpse8144dd3.jpg
Huzzah messy bathroom. Again, it's not nearly as tight as it will be because I'm going to lose about 1/2 inch per piping strip, and I'm planning to add four, two in the front and two in the back. The pins are where I'm going to cut to add the silver piping. Then once I've got the base bodysuit done, I'm going to cut out a boob window and start on the EVA foam armoring.

Wish me luck. :D

What?! An armored Starfire? Like, with more clothing than exposed skin? Inconceivable! :lol

Looks like a great project, and a great start. I look forward to seeing the progress, as well as the pics of all three of you together. (Outlaws FTW!)

Last edited:
OK, update time! Unfortunately I suffer from costuming ADHD and sort of hop from one to another and back again. So not as much progress as I would have liked, BUT. The piping on the bodysuit is done. Yaaaaay!
20140930_182614_zps4a364b92.jpg
I still need to tailor the thighs (they're really low, I'm going to raise them up a bit) and cut out the boob window (probably, maybe. We'll see). Next on the softparts list is the shrug, gloves, and boot covers. I'm optimistic about those not taking as long though the sadistic part of me sort of wants to add piping to them as well. Which considering piping is like the most horrendous thing I've ever done is pretty damn sadistic, LOL.

Got started on the armor bits too. Working with EVA foam for the first time so I'm learning as I go. Tackled a couple of the easiest pieces first, the neck pieces and the gauntlets. About to shape the boob ones which is where the mannikin comes in. (As further proof of my costuming ADHD there's my twi'lek's chest piece in the corner. LOL. I was working on making some repairs on that too.)
20140930_143857_zpsc2774721.jpg
We're still debating on how to cover/finish the EVA foam. I was thinking originally about just covering with the spandex so it would 100% match the color of the shrug/etc. But I don't think that'll look as armor-ish as I want. So now we're talking about painting them, but I'm not sure I want the armored bits to be a random color like silver or black. I wonder if they can color match spray paint anywhere... hrm.... any thoughts on that?

Well, that's all for now. Hoping to have her done in the next two weeks... we'll see I guess!

I'd go with metalic purples for the armor, really go all out on that. Maybe a base layer of chrome and either a clear layer of purple or just a light misting of purple? i think it would look awesome that way

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back