Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (Pre-release)

So I have to ask the question. How is it you know more about film production then someone who's been doing for 38 years?

I'm not an apologist, I've got my own gripes with the new Star Wars. It's minor in the grand scheme of things. But I've got them.

Well you never express any gripes and seem to always be on the defensive no matter how minor or stupid the issue. Which makes talking with you infuriating sometimes because you never acknowledge any faults on the part of Lucasfilm when many of us who dislike these new films have still managed to find aspects to give credit to. If you have gripes I'd LOVE to hear them because then at least we can have a more honest conversation.

Plus I fail to see how someone who works in the industry (NeoRutty) has less of a leg to stand on simply because he doesn't have the same exact credentials as Kathleen Kennedy. I didn't realize she was impervious to flaws. If anything I would give his opinion more thought because he works in the industry and has a perspective that we don't because we don't work in the film business.

Last edited:
I'm not spitting out my resume. I have 25 years in this industry working directly with heads of big studio pictures.

You don't have to be a specific 38 year producer to be in the know how it works.

also, 38 years doesn't make you infallible in this industry... it can actually make you a dinosaur.

Wow! That's awesome! I didn't know that.

Hey at least it sounds like they aren't going the rumored time travel route. Seriously was beginning to think they were given them pushing that so hard in Rebels and supposedly in that Resistance cartoon as well

So they signed a contract to make one kind of film...but they were delivering another kind film. That's a breach of contract. Not to mention it was said that they would do some 30 takes when filming a scene. That's expensive. Yeah, bad, evil Kathleen Kennedy.....

I'd heard that the 'anthology' flicks were partially going to used to do SW in other genre's. RO was to be a war film, Solo, more comedy. In both cases, i heard the reshoots (and firings where applicable) were because the suits (whether KK or disney i don't know) chickened out (more or less) and opted to redo them as necessary to make them 'star wars movies' and drop the genre aspect.

Hey at least it sounds like they aren't going the rumored time travel route. Seriously was beginning to think they were given them pushing that so hard in Rebels and supposedly in that Resistance cartoon as well

Feel like End Game will retire time travel as a solution for a while.

I just can't fathom how he survived that fall and personally how stupid it is to me that he is even alive. I love Palpatine but bringing him back undoes Anakin's sacrifice and Luke's triumph in ROTJ. I'm shocked more fans aren't pissed about it.
There's a theory going around that Anakin will be the Skywalker to rise (hence the name, The rise of Skywalker) and defeat the emperor once and for all.

I just can't fathom how he survived that fall and personally how stupid it is to me that he is even alive. I love Palpatine but bringing him back undoes Anakin's sacrifice and Luke's triumph in ROTJ. I'm shocked more fans aren't pissed about it.
There's a theory going around that Anakin will be the Skywalker to rise (hence the name, The rise of Skywalker) and defeat the emperor once and for all.
I've heard another theory floated around that
Palpatine's force ghost possesses someone's body
It's a pretty well known theory but I figured I'd hide it just in case.

Luke's triumph is that he redeemed his father.

And Anakin's redemption comes, not because he killed the Emperor. But because he, out of love, is willing to save his son, even though it is sure to kill him. He is willing to exchange his life for his son. And there is no greater love then this. The Emperor's death is merely a means to an end. His return doesn't take away from what Luke and Anakin accomplished.

Yeah I've heard that one too. :confused:

Personally I think it's a mistake bringing him back at all unless it were a flashback or hologram. Snoke or Kylo should have been the main baddie in this new trilogy. But it is what it is. I'm just surprised that even PT fans aren't a bit peeved at his return because it was Anakin sacrificing his life to kill the Emperor which brought him back to the light. Now Anakin has to kill him again???? I mean this could just be a rumor too, but doesn't that seem unnecessary? Like what is that really adding to the story that wasn't there from the beginning?

And Anakin's redemption comes, not because he killed the Emperor. But because he, out of love, is willing to save his son, even though it is sure to kill him. He is willing to exchange his life for his son. And there is no greater love then this. The Emperor's death is merely a means to an end. His return doesn't take away from what Luke and Anakin accomplished.

What you just described is why I LOVE Return of the Jedi, especially the climax of the film. Yes I agree with you on the motivation for Vader's redemption, but the Emperor is the catalyst for all of those things happening so if he didn't throw him down that pit Luke would have died and Vader would still be Palpatine's puppet. Having the Emperor return negates all of that because now it has to be done all over again only now Anakin and Luke are BOTH dead. If Palpatine can survive that, then what is going to kill him once and for all and why wasn't Vader's sacrifice enough to stop him the first time around? You see what I mean about this undercutting the entire dramatic triumph of that movie?

Ultimately this may all be a rumor, though I think the point stands if it does turn out to be true and it blows my mind that people wouldn't be pissed about it.

Last edited:

Yes this is true. Him dying is not as important as how he died. He was the mechanism if you will by which Anakin and Luke complete their character arcs. So then in that sense why bring him back? Will he provide the same service to our new characters? Because if he doesn't then his return is nothing more than fan service and lazy rehashing.

But even if he does provide that means for character development of the protagonist/antagonist, I have to agree with Psab keel that it undermines the achievements of Luke and Vader beyond their own personal developments. It took great sacrifice and courage to destroy the emperor only to now see him so easily resurface (assuming that's what happens of course). When something so difficult to achieve is so easily undone, it trivializes the struggle it took to accomplish that achievement. Unless your point IS to show the futility of that struggle, I don't think that's good storytelling.

I just hope whatever they have for Palps' return it is acceptable and not over the top stupid. Yes, I know that's a tall order. If he returns in ANY human form then so should Luke. (Which I actually DON'T want to see by the way.) I mean if Palps can return after getting tossed down a shaft AND the Death Star exploding, then Luke should be able to return after his demise of thinking too hard...........

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back