Star Wars rebels - Hera Syndulla WIP

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

FumblesMcStupid

M good friend is just finishing up her season 2 Sabine costume so i figured I better get going on my Hera costume. While cleaning out the costume shop at school, they found a bunch of patterns they wanted to get rid of, most of them from the 70's and 80's which was perfect because the rebels design is based off of Ralph Mcquarrie's concept art, which was done inthe 70's. I managed to find a pant pattern I could modify for the pants, and a dress pattern that I could use the sleeves from, and proud little graduate of pattern drafting 1 that I am, i am going to attempt to draft the rest of the shirt.

hera pants.jpg hera shirt.jpg

I spent the day today working on my fit garment for the pants, and I got this on my second draft I got this!

hera test garment.jpg

It fits pretty well, I have to take it in some in the front, and the shop steward said the back would fit better with darts, I just don't know If i can do darts in it, I want it to be eligible for the Rebel Legion. The closure is going to be an invisible zipper up the back.

I picked up some poly/cotton broadcloth today from Joanne's for the shirt and the pants. The pants fabric is a little bit too light weight, but I am going to line it with my fit muslin to fix that.

the one thing that I haven't seen done with the other Hera Cosplayer's is that they didn't distress the fabric. I have very limited distressing skills, we distressed a shirt last semester in our costuming class and I was semi successful. I am super nervous about it, but I have the shop steward to help me, and if i have to buy more 3.99 broadcloth that won't be a horrible loss.

The vest I plan to make out of leather. I will be visiting L.A.'s fashion district next weekend to buy it. I wanted to do minimal sewing with mostly shaping for the leather. My room mate just brought up the point that in the reference picture it looks like the top yoke part could be a separate piece overlaid and i thik I agree. what are your opinions? Any tips for sewing with/Shaping/ dying leather would be appreciated. Last semester I had a brief crash course in shaping leather for masks, but again no more experience than that.
star-wars-rebels-pantone-hera-syndulla (1).jpg

Attachments

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.