Star Wars: questions you've always wanted answers for

Droids don't drink. Just take up space paying customers could be filling.

That seems to make sense, but the Mos Eisley bartender says, "we don't serve their kind," which implies both prejudice and that the droids would order something if the bartender wouldn't refuse. What they would order, I have no idea.

Although many Earth bartenders judge patrons who want to charge their phones behind the bar, so maybe it's that.

Here's a question even Steven Sansweet couldn't answer.
In ESB right before Han gets dipped, Chewie freaks out and starts thrashing stormtroopers. Boba Fett raiser his rifle to take him out and Vader reaches up and forces his rifle down to prevent him from firing.
Why?

Because Vader built 3PO and he didn't want him hurt. Lucas knew what he was doing the whole time. Even though there are production photos of Luke and Leia looking romantically into each others eyes in Empire costumes...

images (2) - Copy.jpg

My question: How come droids arent welcome in bars?

The way I saw it, bars, especially THIS bar, lots of private conversations, promises and deals, are made in dark, shadowy places with lots of alcohol to impede judgement. Now let's let droids in. Alcohol doesn't affect them. They are walking talking recording devices that can calculate numbers like nobody's business. The perfect witness with total recal complete with video. Any form of betting is out. And I'm certain Han and Chewie would be less than pleased to have had 3-PO sitting with them with his constant chatter,citing odds!

That's got me thinking about C3PO.

In ANH at Obi Wan's house C3PO offers to shut himself off after his oil bath so we know he can power down at will. But in ESB in the asteroid field Leia tells him to switch off but he blatantly ignores that order.

In ANH Luke asks C3PO to tell him about the battles he's been in but the droid avoids the discussion by saying he's not very good at telling stories. Of course in ROTJ he's telling the Ewoks stories with a multimedia presentation. So he blew off another direct order from his "master" in ANH.

And which character abuses R2D2 the most? C3PO, of course. He even bashes and kicks the little droid and calls him names, like "scrappile."

C3PO is just an a-hole!

That's got me thinking about C3PO.

In ANH at Obi Wan's house C3PO offers to shut himself off after his oil bath so we know he can power down at will. But in ESB in the asteroid field Leia tells him to switch off but he blatantly ignores that order.

In ANH Luke asks C3PO to tell him about the battles he's been in but the droid avoids the discussion by saying he's not very good at telling stories. Of course in ROTJ he's telling the Ewoks stories with a multimedia presentation. So he blew off another direct order from his "master" in ANH.

And which character abuses R2D2 the most? C3PO, of course. He even bashes and kicks the little droid and calls him names, like "scrappile."

C3PO is just an a-hole!

No, C3PO is just a grumpy old geezer.

Think about it...

1) He's really old. Older than Episode I. Given there were Threepio-style protocol droids aboard the Trade Federation vessel, it stands to reason that there are entire production lines of these things. When Anakin "built" him, he didn't design and build him from the ground up. He just cobbled together a bunch of different parts he salvaged.

2) He can't remember things he should be able to remember.

3) He's abusive to his best friend, who is equally as crotchedy as he is.

4) He ignores what his masters (aka the people who take care of him) tell him to do.

5) He loves sharing stories of "the good old days" to people who will listen (aka The Ewoks).

Let's talk about the elephant in the room....the blind spot on the millennium falcon. Seriously. How does anyone see anything over the left side? For that matter, shouldn't we see the mandible from the cockpit shots?

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

my question is "was obiwan's attire in ANH meant to be a jedi uniform, or is that tattoonie gear"

I'm pretty sure it was just originally just Tatooine gear or perhaps later "Jedi in hiding" gear, considering Yoda's attire too. Regardless, I don't think it was initially meant to be the standard apparel of the Jedi in their prime. I seem to recall during preproduction of the prequels, there was a lot of discussion and concept art exploring what Jedi wore, and I think some even depicted armor, similar to what we saw in TCW (and yet strangely never see in the movies). George ultimately went with the old robes, which makes it seem rather silly that Obi-wan is hiding yet openly wearing Jedi sashes and robes.

Here's a question even Steven Sansweet couldn't answer.
In ESB right before Han gets dipped, Chewie freaks out and starts thrashing stormtroopers. Boba Fett raiser his rifle to take him out and Vader reaches up and forces his rifle down to prevent him from firing.
Why?

I always liked this scene just because it does seem a little mysterious and ambiguous and as far as I know it's never been explained. I think I did read speculation once that all the gas and vapors seen in the freezing chamber might be very flammable and a blaster shot would've blown them all up. Haha!

I remember when it was announced that Chewie would appear in ROTS, there was a lot of speculation that he and Anakin might share some scenes together and the ESB scene would be a reference to Vader not wanting to see his old friend hurt. lol!

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure it was just originally just Tatooine gear or perhaps later "Jedi in hiding" gear, considering Yoda's attire too. Regardless, I don't think it was initially meant to be the standard apparel of the Jedi in their prime. I seem to recall during preproduction of the prequels, there was a lot of discussion and concept art exploring what Jedi wore, and I think some even depicted armor, similar to what we saw in TCW (and yet strangely never see in the movies). George ultimately went with the old robes, which makes it seem rather silly that Obi-wan is hiding yet openly wearing Jedi sashes and robes.

I always liked this scene just because it does seem a little mysterious and ambiguous and as far as I know it's never been explained. I think I did read speculation once that all the gas and vapors seen in the freezing chamber might be very flammable and a blaster shot would've blown them all up. Haha!

I remember when it was announced that Chewie would appear in ROTS, there was a lot of speculation that he and Anakin might share some scenes together and the ESB scene would be a reference to Vader not wanting to see his old friend hurt. lol!

i really like that idea! I never knew about the Jedi armor talk, I'm going to try and find concept art now

Yeah, there is some TPM art floating around online depicting Obi-wan wearing all black, with chest armor. It doesn't look as similar to TCW armor as I was remembering though.

Yeah, there is some TPM art floating around online depicting Obi-wan wearing all black, with chest armor. It doesn't look as similar to TCW armor as I was remembering though.

Is it this?

DC05.jpg

I think that is Qui-Gon, because the green lightsaber, and:

DCH2.jpg

Last edited:
https://youtu.be/F6Xa6CcShAI?t=4m38s

Interestingly, it was the BLACKNESS of the costume that Lucas says is Jedi-like.
Very cool! Thank you

- - - Updated - - -

OH MAN THATS KILLER!!! Can you imagine if it ended up looking like that!?!?

Hmmm, yeah that's some of it though I seem to find conflicting info on who that is actually supposed to be. A lot of what I see call him Obi-wan and there's even early AOTC art depicting Obi-wan in black as a Jedi Knight, which I find interesting:

tumblr_m44ihacPdD1r93xiko1_1280.jpg

As an aside, I thought this Topps rendition from the early 90s depicting what Obi-wan would've looked like during what became the PT era was neat. Not canon but neat.

obi-wan_fleming.jpg

too be honest, I never cared for the all black. I think it made him look way too much like vader. although that might have been intentional.
who knows with lucas and his ever changing OCD line of thought.

Also, I wonder if I caught a goof in A new Hope. I'll have to try and find a screen shot of it....but in the scene where the droids are lined up outside the sand crawler, you can see a super long cable from the top of the sand crawler going into one of the droids. it's gone in the next shot and never seen again.

Vader don't want Fett to kill Chewie for fear of Han losing it and then having to either kill Han himself or have Ferr Kill Han. Then he would had have to either use leia has the test subject or kill her too, I also saw it that Vader know Han could calm the wookie down and there was no need for any violence.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back