Star Wars Macrobinoculars (scratch build) - Hoth / Empire Strikes Back

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

zenx13

A little more development on the Hoth Macrobinoculars - Finished the grip bars on the top. Next will be to cut some of that area out and make the top dial.

9F53677F-2140-4F0E-9890-121BBE7677E7.jpg

43BA5DF3-3284-44B7-905E-D273CB410F3F.jpg

CBA3CD76-CF65-4807-8C96-8FB857A678BA.jpg

zenx13

Finally had some spare time to work on the project again!

Today I worked on the top adjusting knob:

0297D4DA-0522-407E-A096-7E1E05971477.jpg

Here are some shots showing how I got to the completed item - the knob was made from the bottom of a plastic tube:

FD9DF543-2E0E-4AA9-B3E2-B793701F1FA5.jpg

Here is a great trick to add knurling to XPS foam - roll bottle cap over a thin slice of foam then you can glue the foam to your tube / cylinder:

BD1EFE3C-6591-4C13-B2EA-1A1D1581EB60.jpg

I added some bands of thin cardstock strips to make ridges:

693DF707-EE39-464F-AD06-8E81DC42E014.jpg

Close up of the finished section:

9820D2AA-EF8F-4022-B54E-1AEDFB75893F.jpg

I will be moving on the back of the Macrobinoculars soon - really excited about the next steps!

INFLUX

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
This is honestly one of the neatest builds I've seen in a really long time. Foam is not my friend and I'm just amazed to see you work it so masterfully. I love following projects like this because it's just gets me so excited! I feel encouraged to get back into something creative just for fun after a dry spell of stress and deadlines.

zenx13

This is honestly one of the neatest builds I've seen in a really long time. Foam is not my friend and I'm just amazed to see you work it so masterfully. I love following projects like this because it's just gets me so excited! I feel encouraged to get back into something creative just for fun after a dry spell of stress and deadlines.

Thanks Influx - I really appreciate your kind words and I would be super happy if my work inspired others. Please make something - there is no better way to get away from stress than creating! I come from the world of terrain making so foam is my main material to build with - I have been trying it out with props and find it is working quite well I think. If you like, you can take a look at some of my foam / terrain work here: Login • Instagram.

malibusteve

hey buddy- any progress? looks great so far!
question- what do you suggest for a pre-paint sealer? i just jumped into a pink foam project myself and ordered some Gesso....

zenx13

hey buddy- any progress? looks great so far!
question- what do you suggest for a pre-paint sealer? i just jumped into a pink foam project myself and ordered some Gesso....
Sorry - not much progress, been busy filling Etsy orders! There are a number of techniques I use: If it is something basic with little interaction I use basic acrylic paint, if the item is going to be handled I use either Mod Podge Hard Coat (a bit expensive) or a mixture of quick drying wood glue and Baking Soda. Hope that helps!

I am looking at trying Fibre Glass Resin in the future but not had a chance yet.

malibusteve

thank you. the Gesso should be here today. hoping its thick enough to fill in minor foam imperfections before primer / paint.
and yes im curious about something harder like a resin...

zenx13

Spent some more time on the Macrobinoculars today (finally) - Backing plate and threads were installed on the main piece and I started on the main blocking for the viewing side.

FEAF735B-72EB-4319-B451-1349B050DD30.jpg

109D1147-930F-4720-92DD-213C7AA0AFAA.jpg

Here is the backing plate and the initial drawing / scaling work for the viewing area main pieces:

IMG_1804.JPG

Cutting the main pieces on the Proxxon Hot Wire Table:

4D40FF54-7D16-4326-953E-30DB52F873B7.jpg

Pieces all cut out:

IMG_1806.JPG

zenx13

Some more work on the back "viewer" section: further detailing, getting hardware to fit, installed buttons (will be adding electrics soon!), cut / shaped some rear sections and test fitted some bottle caps for lenses:

IMG_1853.JPG

IMG_1856.JPG

IMG_1854.JPG

IMG_1846.JPG

zenx13

A time-lapse of me painting some hardener / sealer to the bottom of the Hoth Macrobinoculars while watching Critical Role.