Star Wars Macrobinoculars (scratch build) - Hoth / Empire Strikes Back

A little more development on the Hoth Macrobinoculars - Finished the grip bars on the top. Next will be to cut some of that area out and make the top dial.

9F53677F-2140-4F0E-9890-121BBE7677E7.jpg

43BA5DF3-3284-44B7-905E-D273CB410F3F.jpg

CBA3CD76-CF65-4807-8C96-8FB857A678BA.jpg

Finally had some spare time to work on the project again!

Today I worked on the top adjusting knob:

0297D4DA-0522-407E-A096-7E1E05971477.jpg

Here are some shots showing how I got to the completed item - the knob was made from the bottom of a plastic tube:

FD9DF543-2E0E-4AA9-B3E2-B793701F1FA5.jpg

Here is a great trick to add knurling to XPS foam - roll bottle cap over a thin slice of foam then you can glue the foam to your tube / cylinder:

BD1EFE3C-6591-4C13-B2EA-1A1D1581EB60.jpg

I added some bands of thin cardstock strips to make ridges:

693DF707-EE39-464F-AD06-8E81DC42E014.jpg

Close up of the finished section:

9820D2AA-EF8F-4022-B54E-1AEDFB75893F.jpg

I will be moving on the back of the Macrobinoculars soon - really excited about the next steps!

This is honestly one of the neatest builds I've seen in a really long time. Foam is not my friend and I'm just amazed to see you work it so masterfully. I love following projects like this because it's just gets me so excited! I feel encouraged to get back into something creative just for fun after a dry spell of stress and deadlines.

This is honestly one of the neatest builds I've seen in a really long time. Foam is not my friend and I'm just amazed to see you work it so masterfully. I love following projects like this because it's just gets me so excited! I feel encouraged to get back into something creative just for fun after a dry spell of stress and deadlines.

Thanks Influx - I really appreciate your kind words and I would be super happy if my work inspired others. Please make something - there is no better way to get away from stress than creating! I come from the world of terrain making so foam is my main material to build with - I have been trying it out with props and find it is working quite well I think. If you like, you can take a look at some of my foam / terrain work here: Login • Instagram.

hey buddy- any progress? looks great so far!
question- what do you suggest for a pre-paint sealer? i just jumped into a pink foam project myself and ordered some Gesso....

hey buddy- any progress? looks great so far!
question- what do you suggest for a pre-paint sealer? i just jumped into a pink foam project myself and ordered some Gesso....
Sorry - not much progress, been busy filling Etsy orders! There are a number of techniques I use: If it is something basic with little interaction I use basic acrylic paint, if the item is going to be handled I use either Mod Podge Hard Coat (a bit expensive) or a mixture of quick drying wood glue and Baking Soda. Hope that helps!

I am looking at trying Fibre Glass Resin in the future but not had a chance yet.

thank you. the Gesso should be here today. hoping its thick enough to fill in minor foam imperfections before primer / paint.
and yes im curious about something harder like a resin...

Spent some more time on the Macrobinoculars today (finally) - Backing plate and threads were installed on the main piece and I started on the main blocking for the viewing side.

FEAF735B-72EB-4319-B451-1349B050DD30.jpg

109D1147-930F-4720-92DD-213C7AA0AFAA.jpg

Here is the backing plate and the initial drawing / scaling work for the viewing area main pieces:

IMG_1804.JPG

Cutting the main pieces on the Proxxon Hot Wire Table:

4D40FF54-7D16-4326-953E-30DB52F873B7.jpg

Pieces all cut out:

IMG_1806.JPG

A time-lapse of me painting some hardener / sealer to the bottom of the Hoth Macrobinoculars while watching Critical Role.

I fear that the RPF threatens to turn me into a materials snob, but this reminds me where it’s at! Scratchbuilding using anything and everything! This is really cool and creative work. Thanks for sharing, looks amazing so far. That knurl! Can’t wait to see how they turn out!

And I WANT one of those Iris devices.

I fear that the RPF threatens to turn me into a materials snob, but this reminds me where it’s at! Scratchbuilding using anything and everything! This is really cool and creative work. Thanks for sharing, looks amazing so far. That knurl! Can’t wait to see how they turn out!

I agree, 3D printing is incredible and has led to a huge acceleration in the potential of props and costumes, but making things in this manner is what does it for me.

Thanks so much for the kind words - I do find extreme pleasure in trying to make something look as correct as I can from basically nothing. Don't get me wrong - I would love to build a set from original items (like it was done for the film) but when a starting bid for a Simrad Optronics LP-7 Laser Rangefinder is £850 ($1488 CAN) that isn't going to happen!

My lovely wife bought me the Iris drawing tool for me as a Christmas gift - isn't she great?

I agree, 3D printing is incredible and has led to a huge acceleration in the potential of props and costumes, but making things in this manner is what does it for me.
Cheers! I don't own a 3D Printer, I think they are really cool and I could see so many uses to make smaller items to be used in a larger piece but for me it is the journey of making something. I enjoy the hunt for found objects, figuring out how to build it and then the actual work (that can take months to years sometimes) - that is the gold and I think I almost enjoy it more than the finished piece! Thanks again!

Cheers! I don't own a 3D Printer, I think they are really cool and I could see so many uses to make smaller items to be used in a larger piece but for me it is the journey of making something. I enjoy the hunt for found objects, figuring out how to build it and then the actual work (that can take months to years sometimes) - that is the gold and I think I almost enjoy it more than the finished piece! Thanks again!
I was pretty anti printing for a long time, I specially with the glut of FDM print lined dupes that everyone and their grandma printed. I’m sucked in now, and its not as easy or “skill-less” as it looks. But still sometimes I feel like I’m cheating haha! My MO for most of my hobby life has been scrounging and invention. Inspiring to see it happening here! And glad your wife is supportive. Cute too I bet!

Keep the pics coming!

I was pretty anti printing for a long time, I specially with the glut of FDM print lined dupes that everyone and their grandma printed. I’m sucked in now, and its not as easy or “skill-less” as it looks. But still sometimes I feel like I’m cheating haha! My MO for most of my hobby life has been scrounging and invention. Inspiring to see it happening here! And glad your wife is supportive. Cute too I bet!

Keep the pics coming!
I think a CNC machine is a bit more appealing to me right now but I certainly do see the value in a 3D printer. I do find it hard seeing posts from some people who say "Look at this Prop I Built" and in reality they downloaded a file, printed it and did a great paintjob. It is a prop but you didn't really build it but more painted it. I know that is a very limited view of the process but I think you get my meaning - when it is scratch built you are far more intimate with the process. I hope that doesn't sound elitist - not what I am going for at all.

Plus - it really depends on what your goal is: the final prop or the experience?

(Yes she is super supportive and very cute)

Only to offer support for a fellow hands person, I'm 200% with you on downloading/printing/showing, though the work AFTER printing is (sometimes) fully viable. ;) But I'm totally digging being able to whip out something when I need it! I'm a model builder at heart, and it's kind of like building model kits, but you get to design and make the kit too. And better, I often use the printer to make jigs and such for doing "real" work, wood router templates for example. Don't shut yourself out, but do keep building with whatever you can!! :D

How are the macros coming along?

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back