Star Wars Holiday Special Discussion Thread

I think they also put way to much black eyeliner on. It makes his eyes about pop out of his head. Thst can't possibly have anything to do with the car wreck.

I always hear people talking about the Boba Fett cartoon part. While it may have been the best thing about the show, it was still awful....Take a drink everytime Fett says "friend"....You'll be sloshed before the cartoon is over. Personally I'd rather watch "Whip, stir, whip, stir, whip, whip, stir." At least that pain is real.

I don't even think it's that great. I think it's on par with everything else in the special and just got away with it because it's animated.

I remember making my family watch this when it came on TV.
I liked seeing Han and Luke and Leia and Chewy, but man was it hard to sit through.
My parents hated it, and I was embarrassed.
That's probably the word that describes the Holiday Special best: Embarrassing.

3B242E2B-8F24-464A-878F-38E23AA39F14.jpeg

The embarrassment and mental scars of the Holiday Special were erased when I saw the scene above.

Sorry...someone was going to say it, eventually.

I read that this guy is upscaling this to 4k best he can get it.
Of course, most all copies are still pretty bad, so theres really only so much that can be done.
I'm not a big fan of live-action 60fps, but for anyone that likes it, thats included.

Heres a trailer for now until this guy finishes the whole show, whenever that might be.

And a comparison video. I've only running 1080p, but still am hardly seeing any difference in quality. I don't expect anyone to cry if the quality is never any better.

Of course, most all copies are still pretty bad, so theres really only so much that can be done.
I'm not a big fan of live-action 60fps, but for anyone that likes it, thats included.

Heres a trailer for now until this guy finishes the whole show, whenever that might be.

And a comparison video. I've only running 1080p, but still am hardly seeing any difference in quality. I don't expect anyone to cry if the quality is never any better.

This is hilarious, but at this point, the poor quality of VHS rips and, now, poor video uploads have added an extra layer of filth to this that I don't know if I can live without. There's something extra-sleazy to the Diahann Carroll segments that just works for me.

I really don't get upscaling stuff. Adding resolution where there was none, adding frames where there were none. It was produced on SD video tape, let it be what it is.

What makes me feel like I'm taking crazy pills is when all this tech is being presented as something better than what is standard, and the next step, but the footage looks like TV soap-operas. I guess they were ahead of the curve on everyone.

As others have said, regarding “upscaling” George Lucas’s opus: The Star Wars Holiday Special….what a colossal waste of time.

It’s like trying to figure out a way to encase a turd in gold, somehow.

AF1BCAF6-BD11-4EA3-9677-5515DB387BF2.jpeg

But, I guess, seeing Itchy in 4K will alter the experience, somehow…

6650F8DF-634A-4CDD-9219-FBCD603CAC82.jpeg

Last edited:
This goes out to the people who caught it when it came on TV only.
I was eleven when this came out. The ONLY Star Wars we had was the first movie. We were ALL still riding that high. We were starved for more in any shape it came. I think I speak for most if us, but we didn’t care what the hell it was. It was more Star Wars with our hero’s! Did any of us really care WHAT it was so long as it was Star Wars? Personally, I LOVED it! Now to be fair you could have asked me the next day what it was about and I’m not sure I could of told you short of”…it was more Star Wars!”
Today, it is embarrassingly difficult to get through.
Anyone else feel this way?

Now, for you young pups who grew up seeing the original trilogy first then discovered the Holiday Special…you have no excuse to like this! LOL!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back