Star Wars: Galaxy of Adventures

Oh that will happen eventually. It's only a matter of time because there is too much money to be made. They kind of already did it with The Force Awakens. I know I'm cynical, but it's not cynicism alone that says that. Every single franchise save for Back to the Future, has had either a reboot, a lackluster sequel released 10 plus years (or several decades after the fact) or has had revision after revision done to it, whether it's a special edition or directors cut. The original films will eventually get remade. It's not so much a question of if, but when.

I tend to forget (likely because I'm pushing 40 lol) that even ten years to a kid is like another lifetime. I guess even as a kid though I had more patience/ interest in movies from any era as long as I could get invested in the story/ characters.

As if I wasn't enough out of touch with what kids liked these days as far as entertainment, but I suspect that they don't have that same sense of ownership over their favorite things that we did as kids. The sheer quantity of content is so vast that in some ways it would be hard to get too attached to one thing when there is so much available to them at the touch of a button.

When I was growing up there wasn't nearly the same amount of movies that appealed to kids the way there is now. I've touched on this before in other posts but being part of the VHS generation when we could own the very movies we held near and dear it was a shift in popular culture unlike any before it and since. With streaming and the move away from physical media, I suspect kids don't feel the need to own movies the way we did as kids. To my mind it would be why toy aisles don't have the same appeal as they did back then. Digital content is more appealing to them than having an action figure because to them it's more dynamic than a piece of plastic.

Last edited:
As much as I'm an OT purist, I actually think this might be good. Starts tomorrow, so won't have to wait long to see if it works or not.

Whenever I encounter something really strange product I never think "who would buy this" cuz I'm pretty sure there will be people thinking "oh, a salt dispenser that looks like a rubberchicken with a bikini, haha, I'll get that". I always want to see the thought process that resulted "I'll start manufacturing salt dispensers that look like a rubberchicken with a bikini".
Had the same thoughts when I saw this trailer. It looks like some art student's or aspiring animator's demo reel, taking some stock sound and doing cool looking animations.
The thing that really baffles me is that it's still the OT. I love the OT, I'm a purist if you like that word. I despise and ignore the prequels, don't care for the new movies sans TFA and even that one is probably going to leave my shelf for ebay, but for the love of god, it would be so interesting to see something else. Other than Rebels everything they did so far is massively embedded in the OT. Rogue One, Solo, even the ST, it's all these handful of characters...I dunno. I don't care much, cuz it's not like I'm obliged to spend time watching this so I'd better stop whinging, I just genuinely do not understand why they cannot do anything interesting with this intellectual property. I know and maintain that it's very limited what you can do with Star Wars, but didn't think it was THAT limited.

It's not that there's no infinite (literally) potential for new SW material, or that there's no creative people able to do it, it's just that they've taken fear after the response to TLJ, they played it safe with TFA basically rehashing ANH and it worked, they took some risks with TLJ and it backfired so horribly they even shut down all those side projects that would potentially get off the OT tracks. Disney's primary objective is to milk the SW franchise, they tried to expand it, create new material as was made with the EU back in the day but they bit more than they could chew, so they're retreating to a safer place with less associated risks; closing the ST with the writer/director that already worked, expatiating on "rouge" one which had an overall good response with the Cassian series and now remaking the OT and aparently PT in a short, fast paced, cheap flash-style animation suited for overexcited generation Z kids who can't stay still over a 40+ years old, 1h+ feature film. The only thing they are exploring is the Mandalorian stuff, and yet it's in a TV show format whose financial aspect can be directly modulated to the public's response and they dwellve in an aspect of the SW universe they know is going to have a good response.
And frankly who can blame them, if it's going to bring nice material like this Galaxy of Adventure thing or potentially a fun couple series with lots of new props and costumes (even if the plot hasn't got the grandeur of the feature films) and if it's going to serve them as a way to probe the fanbase and make future material more adapted to what fans want... then good for them and good for us right?

LOL!

"Sorry Timmy, we can't buy you this already existing product that we know you'll enjoy, because it doesn't look like it's possible for it to break even on it's production costs."

*child stares blankly* "But it's here, and I want to see Luke do the stuff with his friends, and save the people."

"Nope, only financially successful toys for our home."

What a joke.

It's not remotely what I said.

I said i don't see how you lay out the money to do this without a clear return on the investment. Maybe it doesn't cost as much to make as I think, i don't know.

Also remember to the 10 year old of today, the OT and even PT movies are well, old. It would be like us getting really jazzed up in the 80’s for films from the 40’s.
Sorta tangenty response, but I can't stand that people these days, not just kids, but people in general, won't watch "old" movies. I've seen comments from people saying they refuse to watch movies older than they are (and these were said by people who looked to be in their 20s or maybe 30s), and I've seen others say they refuse to watch movies from before the 1970s. As somebody who grew up with a mother who adored golden age Hollywood movies, I'm shocked. I simply cannot fathom passing up a movie like "Casablanca" or the 1933 "King Kong" just because they're "old". Heck, The Wizard of Oz was my freakin childhood! I still know every word to every song.

It's like everybody under 35 is this gif now...
9hqugu4fc5p11.gif

Last edited:
These exist to give Hasbro an excuse to repackage OT characters for their new bargain-priced line of figures.

At least the animation itself is leagues better than the "Forces of Destiny" shorts, but the ~1min runtimes and lack of original stories are a curious decision.

That shot of the star destroyers reflecting in Vader's eyes was pretty cool. This whole thing is basically scenes you know from different angles, its interesting at least. They at least TRIED to make it a little different than just animated exact shots you know.

Using the movie dialogue to to all this great animation work just makes this feel like someone made a fan animated film and didn't bother doing any VO casting and instead just insert movie audio. I'm a bit disappointed and not at all interested. Great if a new generation of kids will love it, but honestly I think it's enabling the whole "ADHD/ADD" thing by not being able to sit through a movie I was easily able to even at 4 years old.

Or even do like I did and play while you watch. I could easily sit and watch a movie but if I was really into the movie as a kid I would play along while I watched.

Sorta tangenty response, but I can't stand that people these days, not just kids, but people in general, won't watch "old" movies. I've seen comments from people saying they refuse to watch movies older than they are (and these were said by people who looked to be in their 20s or maybe 30s), and I've seen others say they refuse to watch movies from before the 1970s. As somebody who grew up with a mother who adored golden age Hollywood movies, I'm shocked. I simply cannot fathom passing up a movie like "Casablanca" or the 1933 "King Kong" just because they're "old". Heck, The Wizard of Oz was my freakin childhood! I still know every word to every song.

It's like everybody under 35 is this gif now...
View attachment 960269

I agree. I've never understood the thought process. I'm a younger member on here (few months away from turning nineteen - was born in the year 2000), but I've always enjoyed films from a variety of eras. I even loved watching Charlie Chaplin's silent films when I was around ten. The 80s really weren't that long ago.

I just watched all these over on youtube. Man, this stuff is awful!! If this is what SW is being derived down into, I want no part of it.

It's almost hilarious that Luke's lightsaber acts like a fan blowing his hair and tunic all over the place. I know it's a stylistic choice, but it you could easily superimpose a hair dyer in there. lol. These play more like short advertisements than anything else. While they aren't taking anything away from the films themselves, they aren't doing much more than promoting them.

As to the argument that Disney is playing it safe, I can understand that, but if they really were intent on trying something different, they could have easily gone to a different era and explored the lives of characters that have nothing to do with the Galactic Civil War. I gotta admit, as excited as I was to see the first teaser trailer for TFA, I was kind of disappointed that the Rebels (Resistance) were STILL fighting The Empire (First Order), even 30 plus years after ROTJ. It's like damn, do these characters ever get to live their lives in peace? I got on board for a while but was ultimately disappointed in the end.

I still stand by the fact that from what little we know of The Mandalorian, it's the only thing that is actually going to explore new characters and won't just be filler material (ie. Rogue One) and will be a cast of totally new people. Just those two factors alone can easily set the precedent for doing all kinds of new things with the story without having to be beholden to the tropes/ characters/ events that made the originals work and since we will know nothing about these new characters until we see the show, we will have no preconceived notion about who they are and what they are about.

The more they stick to characters we know the smaller this galaxy feels and the less grand it becomes with every new installment. People talk all the time about how infinite Star Wars feels, but unless they are willing to risk exploring totally new things it will remain as finite as ever.

If Lucasfilm and Disney want to keep this franchise relevant they have to tell stories that have nothing to do with the Empire/ Rebellion conflict. While it can be in the background they need to focus their attention elsewhere and stop worrying about trying to fill in the blanks with every spin off movie.

Having watched a few of these I don't get what the fuss is/was and that includes myself...these are...I dunno, these are nothing really? As Psab Keel says they're more like short advertisements for the movies, nothing more. So I don't get why this had any sort of advertisement or promo and at the same time I feel a bit dumb for my immediate reaction cuz it literally is nothing. I still don't get the point of it at all whatsoever but ah well.

I gave it a shot with nothing against it to begin with, but now that I've seen all the "episodes", I don't understand the point of going through the trouble of producing something like that, either. Cool enough idea, finished product is pretty much pointless, though.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back