Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (Pre-release)

Sometimes it's scheduling, sometimes (and this is dumb) it's just how studios run these things

I was told the other day a project of mine, when pushed into production, would have a seasoned writer of that genre do a pass... I was like "why? I thought you liked it so much"

"new eyes!"

Even when me and my buddy were EDITING the last flick we were on, they had ZERO problem with our edit, but gave it to the guy who edited "Neighbors" and "The Interview" cuz they wanted a pass by a "comedy editor"... and never used any of it (they also likely paid him the equivalent of my yearly salary for his 2 weeks on it)

The entertainment industry is just simply confusing and weird.

Good. Jurassic World sucked and The Book of Henry was just...upsetting. Granting that these nonstop behind the scenes firings suggest the problem is with Lucasfilm, I'm still happier than not with this development.

Agreed, I wouldn't say I hated Jurassic World, but it made the same mistakes TLW and JP3 made. Hate to see the same in one of the only franchises I love more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think Carrie's passing has forced them to dramatically alter what Colin had been working on and just may not have been able to alter course enough. The new writer being brought in would seem to indicate that as well. I think they will offer it to Rian.

I think Carrie's passing has forced them to dramatically alter what Colin had been working on and just may not have been able to alter course enough. The new writer being brought in would seem to indicate that as well. I think they will offer it to Rian.

Dunno. I just got back from December 14, 2017 in my DeLorean, and I have this here copy of Variety that says “Rian Johnson Replaced as Director of The Last Jedi: Kathleen Kennedy says ‘ we just didn’t share the same vision for the popcorn at the premiere ‘“

M

I wonder if they will ask Rian to finish it.

If Last Jedi is as good as we're all hoping it will be I think that would be the logical move. I mean, imagine if they had let Irvin Kershner direct ROTJ...pretty sure it would have been a much better ending to the trilogy. That's the kind of scenario we could be looking at here and I'm guessing Disney/LFL are really liking what he's done with Last Jedi so it only makes sense to let him finish the thing off.

This is beyond ridiculous. Ya know, at this point, Kathleen, why don't you just write and direct all these Star Wars movies yourself. We know that's what's happening behind-the-scenes, anyway. May as well make it official.

That about sums up my thoughts perfectly. I get the desire - hell, with all the money involved, the need - to make these films good. But I sense that the team is missing the distinction between "corporate" good and "interesting" good.

In a way, it's Marquand all over again. The goal: find a director who will toe the line. The result: end up with a much more bland film.

M

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back