STAR WARS Episode IX

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Movie Talk' started by Bryancd, Mar 18, 2015.

1. oblagon

oblagon Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Wasn't clone Luke used in Dark Empire? If I remember his name was spelled Luuke

d_jedi1, Goldhawk and halliwax like this.
  2. Egon Spengler

Egon Spengler Sr Member

Sadly, I doubt it because Yoda would have known.

3. JoMamma_Smurf

JoMamma_Smurf Master Member

Would he though? He didn't even know who Palpatine was and he worked with him for years. Yoda is dead. Is he stronger or weaker now? "The dark side clouds everything."

4. mugatu

mugatu Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Oh my God...

I just woke up from a complete nightmare! Episode 8 had finally come out and I was in the theater watching it with my brother and nephews. We were pumped to see it. Anyway, the film begins, the music trumpets in, all is good... this movie is gonna be awesome!!! And as it goes on, little issues pop up from time to time. There’s Luke... sort of, and big tittied sea cow... okay, and Snoke hmmmmm. Overall, it wasn’t great but it still looked pretty good, but then, close to the end, Laura Dern is somehow commanding a Mon Calimari ship and she saves the day by jumping to lightspeed through this huge First Order ship!

Thank God it was only a nightmare.

Oh sh*t... this isn’t Hill Valley 1985 is it?

halliwax likes this.
  5. The Brahma Bull

The Brahma Bull Active Member

Sorry pal, but this was true. This is what happened. That's how Star Wars died.

mugatu likes this.
  6. kalkamel

kalkamel Sr Member

Not the one you think.
    img_0225-0.gif

halliwax, Bigdaddy and mugatu like this.
  7. halliwax

halliwax Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

8. Solo4114

Solo4114 Master Member

No, that happens in the Thrawn trilogy. Dark Empire had clone Emperors. :)

Paul Andrew likes this.
  9. Psab keel

Psab keel Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

While in theory that would be a fun way to try and redeem the character it would ultimately leave a whole mess of continuity errors and beg the question why would Snoke make a clone of Luke in the first place if he was so hell bent on destroying the Jedi once and for all?

At this point it's just damage control. I've heard a rumor about Han, Luke and Leia but even if it turns out to be true it's still a bitter end to their legacy. For the saga films to have continued after Ep. 6 we know on some level that their defeat of the Empire would have to be undone by some new threat, at least on a level that would allow for a new story to unfold, as Solo4114 has argued and I agree with him on that point. I'm just disappointed with the way they chose to do it.

I still feel that there really isn't much more for Star Wars to say as a series and that they should have left well enough alone, but since it was inevitable that Disney was going to continue the Skywalker Saga, how I would have loved to see the Thrawn trilogy be the storyline of 7, 8, and 9. If they had altered a few key elements to account for the age of the original cast they could have pulled it off. Alas, to dream!

10. ALLEY

ALLEY Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Well, we will have to see if it’s the next far-fetched “daily plot leak” claimed by Mike Zeroh. I don’t think he has pitched that one yet.

8A0BE602-24E2-401A-A414-C0B5C55A0375.jpeg

11. Inquisitor Peregrinus

Inquisitor Peregrinus Master Member

I like the ST more than many, not as much as some. But I feel anyone who 1) likes Star Wars and 2) knows anything about the demands of narrative storytelling and the development thereof... feel Disney shouldn't have pushed/LFL should have held firm that the Sequels take the time they need to come together. Lucas sold his company to Disney and gave them his story treatments in late 2012. If they had everything sorted out with where they wanted to go, the typical three-year span between films in the OT and PT means, yeah, I'd think we'd see Episode VII around Memorial Day weekend of 2015...

But the truth was there was no coherent vision for where they were going with Star Wars right out of the gate. It could be argued the degree to which they have that sorted by now. My take, from everything I've run across or sniffed out, is that they had a vision of what the whole post-ROTJ period looks like, in general... but didn't have a clear timeline of what to give us when. It makes sense that we'd start getting things pretty quickly after the sale, and it makes sense that we'd get something on the big screen in 2015. I just feel like it shouldn't have been TFA.

Filmed the ST? Sure. Pragmatically, Harrison, Carrie, and Mark weren't getting any younger. But maybe hold onto the raw footage and give us the Aftermath Trilogy and Shattered Empire and Battlefront II and Resistance and a few other things before dropping TFA on us. Use that time also to better determine what happens in which film and how many the story will take.

Goldhawk, Solo4114 and Psab keel like this.
  12. robn1

robn1 Master Member

I think you're all missing the finer point of the article. The real reason the films are doing so poorly is because they just aren't very good, they've been mediocre to terrible (Rogue One being the exception, it was pretty good IMO). But the shill media won't ever admit it, so this article is making the excuse that it's the frequency of films that are the problem. Which is a soft way of laying blame on the fans by implying that we're suffering "Star Wars fatigue", instead of the hack-fraud creative team behind it all.

Goldhawk, gedmac66, CutThumb and 2 others like this.
  13. oblagon

oblagon Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

For me the new SJWars actually rekindled my interest in the OT. But I agree with you on the future of the franchise; Disney seems to be doing everything they can to remove the fun and escapism from the series.

Goldhawk, russellsch and robn1 like this.
  14. DARTH ANIBAL

DARTH ANIBAL Well-Known Member

Actually, I think it's clearly making the point that the frequency and shorter production times are detrimental to the franchise in that they're not allowing sufficient time to properly flesh out and fine tune these stories before the next chapter is in full swing. I loved VIII, but I agree that it shouldn't have been almost completely written by the time VII was just premiering.

15. Axlotl

Axlotl Master Member

I still can't believe they didn't have a complete outline for a 3 movie story arc before they started filming the first one.
    That was a really careless and reckless decision to make on such a hugely popular franchise.

I also can't believe that no one at those initial roundtable discussions brought up the fact that Star Wars is a fairy tale, and reminded everyone that fairy tales are what Disney does best. Man, they sure dropped that ball...

The impression I get is that no one over there has even the slightest clue what they're doing.
    They hired the popular kids to renovate the house and they burned it to the ground.

Goldhawk, tcsmit29, Nitz146 and 8 others like this.
  16. Cephus

Cephus Sr Member

It's why you see so many movies where the Hollywood elite reviewers love it but the audience hates it. It's because the reviewers are operating on ideology and the audience is just there to see a good movie. It isn't Star Wars fatigue, it's "these movies suck". Rogue One wasn't a very good movie. In comparison to the rest of the Star Wars drek that's come out it was better, certainly it is the only one that I've even come close to enjoying, but taken by itself, it really isn't that good. It isn't a traditional Star Wars movie. None of them are. But Hollywood is desperate to save their own skin so they want to blame everyone but themselves. They're just making bad movies. That's all there is to it.

17. Cephus

Cephus Sr Member

But I really don't think that's it. You can put out good movies relatively quickly, you just have to be making a good movie in the first place. Most of Hollywood doesn't have a clue what a good movie is anymore. They want to make movies with themes that appeal to a particular political demographic, then throw in a ton of absurd references to actual good movies to remind everyone else that they're supposed to be nostalgic. These movies have to be good on their own and they're just not. There is nothing in the plots that is worth watching, I don't care if they took 10 years to make it. The whole concept is terrible. Rey is an absurd feminist Mary-Sue. Kylo is a discount Darth Vader with a childish attitude. The people making Star Wars today have no clue how to tell a compelling story, much less how to make worthwhile characters because that means that their heroes would have to have faults and they can't have that! It might hurt someone's feelings!

gedmac66, robn1 and Dontdissthefett like this.
  18. Psab keel

It seems so obvious to me but it's fairly simple. Pick a theme. Create characters to illustrate that theme. Then structure a plot that will challenge the characters in such a way that will further illustrate that theme.

It's one thing to reference other movies too, but that has to be done with some tact. Often using a reversal to pay homage to a movie or even combining elements from other films, otherwise you are just copying verbatim. For example:

C-3PO is a humanoid looking robot which is similar in design to the robot from Metropolis, but male instead of female. He is also mirrored off of one of the peasants in Akira Kurasawa's The Hidden Fortress. In this way subconsciously he is familiar even though he was new in 1977.

Also certain shots can be filmed in a similar way, or even blocked to look just like a shot from an older movie so subconsciously they appear familiar. It's one of the techniques George used on the first film that helped make it such a massive hit.

It all comes down to the script. If the story sucks, the movie will suck.

robn1 and Cephus like this.
  19. Jaitea

Jaitea Master Member

The worst thing they did was to bring back an Empire-like bad side,....inc updated Stormtroopers, TIE fighters etc,...I remember when the announcement was made that they were to continue the saga, & we were just in shock & excitement of the news, I posted a comment on how I hoped it could go:

Because the OT drew on our own recent history, with the Empire striking resemblances with WWII Germany,...& the Rebels being a group of allied forces, I was hoping that a new enemy in the ST would have been one of those old allies, much like the USSR, perhaps the Mon Cal or Bothans,

Sadly the ST set off on the wrong foot, it had to be just like what we already knew

J

Goldhawk, AJTaliesen, laszlo and 3 others like this.
  20. rileyreplicas

rileyreplicas Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

THIS!!! ALL THIS! I had so wanted to see allies now the enemy, just like in real life!

21. robstyle

robstyle Sr Member

Dont believe whatever damage control EP8 caused. There was an outline for the sequel trilogy when EP7 was written that EP8 did not follow. Remeber when JJ said he had wished he was directing EP8 after reading the script? Most everyone took that as a positive comment. If he had done EP8, it would have been an entirely different film that followed the outline. When people are under contract, there is only so much they can say, even more so when they are also a producer. As ive said in the past, give it time, the truth will come out about all the sequel trilogy mess.

d_jedi1, Nitz146, gedmac66 and 2 others like this.
  22. halliwax

Agree 100%

Goldhawk likes this.
  23. Solo4114

Solo4114 Master Member

So, two things on this.

First, there's the basic business aspect. In that sense, I get why they took a LOT from the most familiar beats of Star Wars. NuEmpire, giant planet (solar system) destroying superweapon, small group of X-wings blow it up, pseudo-Sith, etc. In a sense, they had to. We here are the absolute molten core of Star Wars fans. We know the ins and outs of lots of the EU backstory. We can tell people what company built the X-wing (Incom), and what tibanna gas is used for. We spot differences between versions of Vader's armor from movie to movie, and pay attention to the subtle evolution of Anakin/Luke/Rey's lightsabre over time. There are people out there who -- I kid you not -- don't really care that Han shot second, or who think that adding in a bunch of now-kinda-dated CGI to the films was perfectly fine. There are lots and lots of people who like Star Wars, but have only seen it maybe a handful of times in their lives. And there are waaaaaaaaaaaay more of them than there are of us. It's those people to whom Disney/LFL was trying to sell Ep. VII. That's why all the OT heroes are back. That's why the EU was dumped. That's why you see a ton of beats and visual and structural references to the old films. It's not because "the stories rhyme." It's because all this stuff is instantly familiar to even people who think the guy's name is "Hans Solo" and who think Chewbacca is some kind of dog thing.

Second, there's the storytelling aspect. The problem with bringing all these elements together in a single film -- OT characters, familiar story/visual/structural elements, etc. -- is that it severely constrains the story you're going to tell. So, ok, you have the OT heroes back. Alright...well, if they're back, and we have some new conflict....what's that mean about the war they won before? That has to get wiped away, but the question becomes "how"? How do you make it so that ROTJ wasn't "happily ever after" after all, AND you've got a new Empire? Because you've got to have a new Empire, right? Tie fighters, stormtroopers, big honkin' wedge-shaped capital ships, etc. Gotta have it. That means that whatever faction exists must have existed for a while. Except that to do that and have it work, and have the OT characters be roughly the ages of the actors, you simply have to diminish their victory somehow.

I still think that a lot of what was shown in Ep. VII which set the stage for much of what people dislike in Ep. VIII could have been mitigated with a better lead-in story-wise or at least some exposition dumping. I also think JJ's penchant for "mystery box" stuff gets in the way with Ep. VII by building up too much suspense simply by...not answering questions that the audience kinda needs to know, but which the characters kinda don't.

Now, I've enjoyed Ep. VII, and I loved Ep. VIII, but I think that they really set themselves up for problems with the way they handled the production of these films and especially in terms of narrative. I'm with Inquisitor Peregrinus on this one. These films needed way more lead-in story-wise IF you wanted to tell this particular story. As I said before Ep. VII came out, my preferred Star Wars would've been one that was flung several generations into the future, far removed from the OT heroes and their victory at Endor. New characters, new story, new threats, etc. You could still feature white-armored bad guy troopers, but you make it an explicit thing: they brought the iconic imagery of the Empire specifically because it references the Empire and they wanted to both convey an imagery of strength and military might, and to scare the hell out of everyone who opposed the Empire. Or something. I think that including the OT heroes was probably the biggest mistake, even though I think that Mark Hamill gave the best performance I've ever seen him give as Luke. I'm even "ok" with Han dying, mostly because I think his character had completed his arc in ROTJ and there wasn't a ton left to do with him. But I think including the OT heroes with all the references to the OT just to put butts in seats...that was a mistake. I get why they did it, but I think they should've taken more of a risk right out of the gate. It's part of why I think Ep. VIII was so divisive. Ep. VIII took some genuine risks in departing from the typical Star Wars mold. I love it precisely for that reason, but yeah, it's different. Jarringly so, especially coming on what was essentially the nostalgia-fest of Ep. VII. That's some serious whipsawing in terms of managing audience expectations.

24. patrickivan

patrickivan Active Member

I completely disagree... Subconscious implies the masses going to 1977 Star Wars had been exposed to Metropolis and The Hidden Fortress. 1977 audience had far less access to stuff like that, and even now, with all our access to information, people who would even have seen either in passing, would be in such small numbers, it's irrelevant. As a kid in the 80's the only reason I knew of Metropolis was my interest in Sci-Fi, and even at that time, I didn't remotely make the connection. I admit that I may have been in the subconscious group, but I'd put good money down that the general masses had no exposure at all.

I'd go as far as it boils down to something far simpler. We have a post war generation, and a post Vietnam war disgruntled generation who went to a fantasy that mirrored the basic real life struggle of good vs evil, and good won explosively. Make it too real, and too dramatic with all this in between grey nonsense, then you're just watching life.

Good vs Evil. Make it fantasy. Make it simple. Add a little humour. Characters who fit stereotypes. And blow something the * up.

I do agree that it comes down in part to script, but even that gets changed in process. But you'd have to agree that without the editing, Star Wars would have flopped like a Salmon hitting the shore on it's difficult journey up-river, and then get eaten, it's carcass left to rot in the hot sun.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
    Potroclo and Psab keel like this.
  25. robn1

robn1 Master Member

But that's the thing, these people will like it no matter what, they just don't care. Make the films for those of us who do care, and the masses will still be there too. Why trade one group for another when you can include everybody? Isn't inclusiveness the in thing these days?

26. gedmac66

gedmac66 Sr Member

So many points agreed with 100% ! , especially those made concerning R.J & Disney ..., it’s unfortunately a case of what coulda & shoulda in poor hindsight :(

27. Psab keel

I agree, it was only part of the equation. Even Empire of Dreams talks at length about how editing saved the movie.

The ST films are referencing themselves to the point where TFA was a reboot of ANH. TLJ was in many ways a Mashup of Empire and Jedi.

I also understand that from a business perspective why mess with what works? Though I agree that they should have pushed the story out far enough so it wouldn't have been Episode 7, 8, and 9. Remove it far enough from the Skywalkers so as to keep from tarnishing their legacy.

The problem is that there is too much money to be made from the familiar when it comes to movies. That's why most films are crap and they are all the same as one another by varying degrees of mediocrity. Star Wars used to be an exception to this rule, but no longer. It's just not special anymore.

Even during the era of the prequels there was still an excitement buzzing about the release of the next installment. Not the case today.

It's quite telling to me that Lucasfilm under Kennedy was so interesting on bringing the fan base back into the fold only to tell them they don't matter a short time later. It's like make up your minds people. Who are these new films for? The masses or for hardcover fans? Because it's clearly not meant for both.

Nitz146 and gedmac66 like this.
  28. ALLEY

Weird....this was posted to the wrong thread.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  29. DARTH ANIBAL

WE have become more demanding. "Rant culture" is the soup du jour, and the people who bitch and groan the loudest have just gotten a spotlight with the internet. There are absolutely way more "popcorn munchers."

usajdm likes this.
  30. Psab keel

That is a philosophical question that we can't discuss at length without getting banned so without delving too much into it, I would say that ironically for all of the technology and information at our fingertips in a lot of ways we are devolving as a species. I won't say anymore on it though because it could be deemed as political.

One thing I can say for popular culture, and this is a point that I have brought up many times in the past when discussing this topic, is that the shift in people's perspective in the last ten years towards "nerd culture" is wholly different than it has ever been. Now it's fashionable to be a nerd. I see more men in their 40's and 50's wearing Star Wars t-shirts and hats than I ever saw in my entire life. When I was growing up that was rare and even mocked. In some ways it's good that people can embrace their geeky interests. In some ways it's robbed people of their safe haven and taken what's special away from the weirdos who love this stuff because they have changed the content of the films to suit the masses interests rather than make things the original fans want to see.

While Lucasfilm is obligated to get butts into seats it shouldn't be at the expense of the fanbase who made the company what it is by buying it's products in the first place. Like any product if it's good people will buy it and buy it repeatedly. I resent the fact that they have chosen to market the films in an effort to make them appeal to certain demographics in the name of inclusion rather than tell a good story. Just tell a good story and cast whoever you want as long as that script is good. It's about the story and it always has been. Something I think Lucasfilm has been missing for a long time now.

So when it comes to Star Wars 9, I don't care what they do with it. I guess the irony is that while I type this response this is once again me coming to terns with a lifelong love affair. Star Wars and my love for it is complicated. Maybe I should change my Facebook relationship status to "in love with Star Wars" ...."It's complicated." lol

31. PantheraGem

PantheraGem Sr Member

I've said it before, I miss the days when I was in my early 20's, when wearing a Star Wars shirt meant opening myself up to ridicule. I was rewarded for my bravery though, and because of those shirts met some of the best friends I've ever had.

It is ironic that the one place I didn't have to worry about getting any weird looks while wearing them, was Disneyland. Hell, they sold some of the cooler ones. There's nothing special about it now.

Goldhawk and Psab keel like this.
  32. DARTH ANIBAL

That's us, isn't it? That age bracket is those of us who grew up NOT seeing that as a regular thing. I don't care for the "geek chic" thing, but I'd say it eventually happens to every subculture.

usajdm, gedmac66, robn1 and 2 others like this.
  33. Cephus

Cephus Sr Member

Exactly. The people who would get on an Internet forum and talk about movies, we're the demanding ones. The idiots in the seats at most of these movies, they don't care. Going to a movie is a social activity, it isn't about the movie, it's about the experience. I don't care about the experience, I only care about the movie. It's why I don't go to theaters. Heck, the last time we went to a theater, the original Transformers back in 2007, the only reason we stopped at all was because we were on the way back from SDCC and we were hot and figured sitting through a movie was a good way to cool down. Now granted, Transformers is better than what came afterwards, but it's still a bad movie. I've got friends who go to the theater every single week out of habit. It's just what they do. They don't really care what they see because there's always something new out and they will sit through 2 hours of something every week because it's what they've always done. They don't even care if the movie is any good, it's the experience they're after. I don't get that. If I'm going to go and pay money to sit through a movie, it's going to be because the movie is good. And there aren't that many good movies anymore.

gedmac66 and robn1 like this.
  34. Cephus

Cephus Sr Member

Yes and no. It's more acceptable to be a Star Wars fan or an anime fan or whatever today and that part is great. But as someone who grew up in the fandoms, I'm really glad that more people are involved today. You used to have to struggle to find anyone who liked what you like, today, just about everyone does unless you have some really niche interests (as my oldest daughter does). But it's hard when most people aren't really interested in seeing good films, they're interested in going on a date or going out with friends, the experience is what matters and not the actual movie. And because Hollywood knows this, they don't really have to try to make good movies. Just throw a bunch of explosions on screen and people attend in droves.

Not me though. I pass. I want better.

Psab keel likes this.
  35. Psab keel

Well in the best cases it is both things. The experience of going with friends and socializing/ enjoying the movie in a room full of strangers, and also the thrill of the movie itself if it was a compelling story. The theater experience ain't what it used to be.

gedmac66 and DARTH ANIBAL like this.
  36. Joek3rr

Joek3rr Sr Member

I am so excited for Episode 9! Ever since I got introduced to Joseph Campbell's monomyth, I've been eagerly awaiting the conclusion to the Skywalker saga!

modelcitizen likes this.
  37. Bigdaddy

Bigdaddy Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

That happened in 1983! ;)

d_jedi1, Axlotl, ALLEY and 8 others like this.
  38. Joek3rr

Joek3rr Sr Member

:lol::lol::lol::lol: hilarious

If only George could have made up his mind. First he's like, 'there's gonna be 9,' then he's says 12, then 9 again, then 6, then back to 9.

ALLEY likes this.
  39. cboath

cboath Master Member

Too true.

Sorry, but the ST has jack all to do with the skywalkers. I mean, tweak 2-3 scenes so there's no reference of any connection and kylo just sneaks up and kills han or something and nothing changes in the ST.

40. Psab keel

You know what would have been a cool new start to this Sequel Trilogy?

Several generations past the Skywalkers and this unknown girl named Rey finds Luke's/ Anakin's lightsaber while scavenging on some wasteland world near Bespin. Some exposition to set the tone would be necessary obviously but they could start totally fresh without having to worry about how to deal with incorporating Luke, Han and Leia directly into the story but make them all legends that Rey learns about along her journey.

In this way the time gap would preserve the OT's victory at Endor and allow the writers to better come up with a story about some unknown that will carry on their legacy of triumph over evil by using the iconography of this special lightsaber. They also wouldn't have to directly rely on having the OT cast being a constant presence.

I think a lot of hardcore fans would have been totally on board for that. I know I would have.

usajdm, gedmac66, Goldhawk and 4 others like this.
  41. sztriki

sztriki Sr Member

This. I keep saying that the bits I enjoy the most from TFA are up until Han shows up and after he dies. Nothing against the guy but those are the bits where the new characters can actually properly interact and do their stuff.

Goldhawk, Axlotl and Psab keel like this.
  42. ALLEY

This may sound cynical, but George seemed done with the Star Wars universe after being chewed up by the fans for the prequels.

In terms of the timing, I think that suddenly reversing his public statements that there would be no episodes 7, 8, and 9–and writing the rough outlines for them and initiating preliminary conversations with Ford, Fisher, and Hamill—was to sweeten the deal for any potential buyer for Lucasfilm (Disney).

Psab keel likes this.
  43. sztriki

sztriki Sr Member

Lucas' opinion and beliefs change with the wind. He keeps maintaining that "I always thought of this like this" every time he comes up with a new idea.

d_jedi1, Psab keel and Joek3rr like this.
  44. Joek3rr

Joek3rr Sr Member

Oh yeah, I'm sure George was getting tired of some of the fans making him into some sort of devil incarnate. (Now George is the savior, Kathleen is the devil, and Rian is the anti-christ:D)

I just watched an old interview that Leonard Maltin did with George, from the early or mid 90's. And George tells him that after he's done writing 1-3, that's it Star Wars is done, and he doesn't have, and never had plans for anything else. However I saw news report from when ROTJ came out, and the news reporter says it's part 3 out of 9 part saga. And Mark said at Star Wars Celebration in 2013, I think, that he remembers George talking about doing 12 movies, then he cutting it down to 9.

So who knows what George was thinking.

Also interesting, in that interview with George. He said he wasn't sure he wanted to direct all three prequels. He thought he'd like to do Episode 1, but he wasn't sure about 2 and 3.

sztriki and Psab keel like this.
  45. Psab keel

Star Wars' Adam Driver reflects on working on the trilogy

Star Wars Episode 9 will finally be with us in December this year, completing the Skywalker saga, and the cast have revealed that the final film in this trilogy will feel a little "looser", as the actors have been improvising on set.

"The way they've been shooting it right now is looser than it's been for the last two times," Oscar Isaac, who plays Resistance pilot Poe Dameron, said. "It does feel like a relief to get on set and feel like, 'Oh, we can try things'.

"It's a testament to JJ [Abrams] coming back and feeling confident. There's less pressure for it to be right. We just want to make a good movie and have a really good time while doing it."

I'm all for the people involved in the movie wanting to have fun while making it and for some improvisation if it improves a scene but I don't think that will bolster a lot of confidence for many fans who think they've missed the mark with the overall story.

Seems like the overall attitude they have had making this entire Sequel Trilogy has been pretty blase. I could very well be misinterpreting that quote but to my mind they don't care so much about the fans the way they seemed to when TFA launched.

Nitz146, gedmac66, Goldhawk and 2 others like this.
  46. Solo4114

Solo4114 Master Member

That sounds familiar... ;)

I mean, on the one hand, it definitely does seem like BS when he says that. On the other, who knows how voluminous his notes and ideas are. For all we know, he did in fact dream up XYZ thing at one point in coming up with Star Wars, decided against it, decided to include it, decided against it again, decided to include it, Marcia said "That's dumb, George," and took it out in editing, and now he wishes he could add it back in, except he's quit and moved on.

What I think is more important is that...it doesn't really matter what he "always intended to do." I'd argue that his intentions are precisely part of the problem with both the SEs and the prequels. They don't jive with the original movies he made. Oh, you always intended to do XYZ? That's nice. But shoehorning it back into the film that you actually shot doesn't work now. Saying "But it's what I intended" doesn't make it fit any better.

47. Joek3rr

Joek3rr Sr Member

I can tell you right now why the attitude changed. I remember hearing JJ say on numerous occasions saying that they wanted to make a film that the fans would enjoy, that they would love. I know some like to say that TLJ divided the fans. But the thing is fans were divided over TFA. TLJ just widened the division. Some hated TFA, some loved it, some thought it was okay, some thought it was meh. This leads to problem, how does Disney/Lucasfilm make a film for the fans now? Which group of fans to they make the next movie for? If they make a film for the one that love TFA, the one that hate are going to fall away even more. If they make a film for the fans that hated TFA, it's slap in the face to the fans that loved TFA. And you risk loosing that group for the other half.

So what can they do? Disney/Lucasfilm is facing a Kobayashi Maru scenario. It's a no win situation for then. No matter what they do, it's going to anger/upset one portion of the fandom.

Psab keel likes this.
  48. halliwax

Have Ezra show up in 9, go back in time
    And stop the ST from happening

d_jedi1 and canuckmuse like this.
  49. Joek3rr

Joek3rr Sr Member

To what end? That would still upset fans.

usajdm likes this.
  50. halliwax

Not going there with you ;)

R.P. McMurphy and Axlotl like this.