STAR WARS Episode IX

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Movie Talk' started by Bryancd, Mar 18, 2015.

1. Bryancd

Bryancd Master Member

Huyang and second2nun like this.
  2. Bryancd

Bryancd Master Member

3. The Terminator

The Terminator Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

4. JD

JD Master Member

5. Vivek

Vivek Master Member Community Staff RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The person who wrote that first post on moviepilot, well their definition of "confirmed" is twisted. And it's a totally made up rumor by Get Your Geek On podcast. I can't believe sites are picking this up.

Here is a note from that moviepilot page:

"Editor's note: It has come to our attention that multiple sites have picked up this story and quoted Moviepilot as the source. However, this is an independent, unverified creator post and does not reflect the views or writing of the Moviepilot staff. "

JD likes this.
  6. The Terminator

In Whedon we trust.

The ones we usually referred to as "journalists" are all extinct.

cayman shen and Falk like this.
  7. glunark

glunark Sr Member

Whedon should stick to writing, not directing, he does dialogue best.

The avengers was great, the sequel not so much, and as for Serenity, there is a reason we only saw one film in that series.

Also I don't want a main character killed off in some stupid offhand way just because he wants to wring some cheap emotion out of the audience.

Borjis likes this.
  8. astroboy

astroboy Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Yeah....but that one film was probably one of the best space-opera westerns I've ever seen

gedmac66 likes this.
  9. Bryancd

Bryancd Master Member

All of Firefly was terrific.

cjchiu, gedmac66, Falk and 4 others like this.
  10. The Terminator

Wash? He died because alan tudyk future schedule or some crap like that....

To paraphrase Walter White
    You're goram right

11. JD

JD Master Member

Wash died because Whedon likes to rip our hearts out.

But, it is true Universal wanted everyone in Serenity signed for multiple movies at the rate they signed for the first film. They didn't want to be taken to the proverbial cleaners in the event Hoburn Wash became the next Han Solo and Tudyk could then demand a bigger salary.

12. crabra comander

crabra comander Sr Member

I see, latino review is pretty established source then?

13. astroboy

astroboy Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Oddly enough, the Latino review seems to jump on hints faster than anyone. They seem a bit crackpot but then three weeks later, the story breaks everywhere else

14. Vivek

Umberto Gonzalez aka elmayimbe the co-founder of Latino-Review is the person who used to usually land all the great scoops, lot of which were getting confirmed later on. Even for some of the articles written by other LR staff members there was sometimes backing info confirmed by Umberto (from his sources) which he shared on Twitter at times. That's who I relied on. So whenever people complained about some recent rumor posted by LR, I always voiced my support to LR and reminded that the site had far more valid scoops than stinkers.

I won't be doing that anymore cause since last month Umberto Gonzalez doesn't work at Latino-Review. The site was also recently acquired by another company. And Umberto is in the process of starting his own website. If you have seen the recent concept art images of Captain America, Iron Man and Wonder Woman they were all being shared on his Instagram account. And the images all had the watermark HH (likely the abbreviation for his new site). Of course like many sites LR also continues to pick up on his stories from his Instagram and shares them on their site.

So even if LR is now again reporting this Whedon story, I am going to say totally made up BS rumor that originated by an unconfirmed writer's blog post on moviepilot.

I won't mind if this rumor does become a fact eventually. But I rather see Whedon create his own universe and characters now. And let Star Wars sequels and spin offs be given to more hungry directors, who are talented while being far more enthusiastic about working on a tent-pole movie of an established universe and franchise.

Last edited: May 8, 2015
  15. DINVADER

DINVADER Sr Member

Pay attention to what JJ said here. https://youtu.be/1zjAtb2Nqmg He will be producing the next two. Not directing 8, but leaves the door open for 9.

16. Vivek

17. Jeyl

Jeyl Master Member

Well, I hope he left all of his issues for writing and directing women back with Jurassic Park in the gutter... assuming he even thinks they're issues. Otherwise this film is going to suffer the same fate as the two trilogies before it. We start the women strong and by the end they're reduced to nothing but emotional baggage for the male leads.

The Terminator likes this.
  18. The Terminator

not to mention attention to details will suffer.

19. Vivek

Article updated: Colin Trevorrow will NOT be brought out on stage today at Hall H at the Star Wars panel.

20. Bryancd

Bryancd Master Member

21. Wolfsburg

Wolfsburg Sr Member

Yeah, I saw that. Can't say I'm super excited about that. Wasn't crazy about Jurassic World, though I've not seen his other stuff.

22. ProfKSergeev

ProfKSergeev Well-Known Member

Deeply underwhelming news. Jurassic World was uninspired mediocrity.

The Terminator likes this.
  23. reelprops

reelprops Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Official now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

24. Mr Mold Maker

Mr Mold Maker Sr Member

Not only am I underwhelmed, I'm honestly more concerned than ever.

Jurrassic World was a great family fun movie, but the dialog, acting, and plot were all severely lacking and at some points flat out disappointing.. Safety Not Gaurenteed was "meh" at most, and I honestly don't remember much of anything about the film.. distinctly not what I'd look for in a Star Wars director.

25. Bryancd

Bryancd Master Member

These films are practically director proof. They have a story group and a lot of creative control. It would be hard to screw up.

26. The Terminator

The prequels......

27. Bryancd

Bryancd Master Member

I meant the current Regime. :)

28. Mr Mold Maker

Mr Mold Maker Sr Member

You seem to underestimate how easy it is to screw up a movie. Especially a movie that will be so picked apart and analyzed by fans of the originals.

Disney has a good track record with cinematic universes so don't get me wrong, I'm very hopeful.... At the same time.. their choice here just leaves me scratching my head.

29. Bryancd

Bryancd Master Member

With JJ and KK producing, o think it would be next to possible. This is going to be a VERY controlled productions.

30. The Terminator

:thumbsup
    I have more faith in the current regime :p

Riceball likes this.
  31. Vivek

Thain likes this.
  32. JD

JD Master Member

...and thousands of fanboys all cried out: "I want one of those moleskines!"

Riceball likes this.
  33. joshvanrad

joshvanrad Sr Member

I really wish this movie would have gone to JJ. We will see how he does with 7, but I'm guessing it is going to be pretty solid.

34. Wolfsburg

Wolfsburg Sr Member

So far, I would agree but time will tell. Regardless, I'm certainly not crazy about Colin Trevorrow directing it.

35. joshvanrad

joshvanrad Sr Member

The thing about JJ as a director is that he really loves directing, appreciates his actors, and he works constructively with his staff. It's just a huge added bonus that he's a big Star Wars fan. To me, it just seems like he was made for this job.

36. CessnaDriver

CessnaDriver Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I want to skip ahead to Episode 100.
    Star Wars: The Fresh Start

37. The Terminator

No... not Colin, pretty please? :unsure

38. cayman shen

cayman shen Master Member

I loved Safety Not Guaranteed and Jurassic World. What's wrong with CT?

39. Westies14

Westies14 Master Member

Jurassic World is somewhat fun because it has dinosaurs. Objectively, it's a nonsense mess of a film with zeeeeero substance.

joshvanrad likes this.
  40. The Terminator

What Westies said? Pretty much.

I loved hearing the Jurassic Park theme in a theater again, haven't done that since 1997. I also LOVED seeing the original T-rex. :love

Overall I thought the film was going to be horrendous and was happily surprised that it wasn't but it also wasn't "good". And nothing of the other things that I did liked had anything to do with the director.

Wolfsburg likes this.
  41. alienscollection.com

alienscollection.com Master Member

42. Bryancd

Bryancd Master Member

43. cboath

cboath Master Member

I wonder why? Are they tired of owning December? Wanting to give someone else a shot at it? :)

44. CutThumb

CutThumb Sr Member

Not entirely certain.
    I know that the late Xmas release dates have not translated well in terms of toy sales, hence the massive cuts in price of "Rogue One" stuff after a very short space of time in the shops. But the whole toy industry is kind of suffering at the moment with traditional toys taking a beating in this digital age.
    Given Marvels heavy release schedule of films they may push one of these back a little into the Xmas slot.
    But given we have now had the new Avatar movies release dates ,thats the likely reason, but they will not kick into the Xmas slots for quite a while and they are going to be spaced out in December 2020,2021,2024,2025. So maybe they are moving now to avoid a conflict of interest.
    They are going to have to move like lighting to get IX done though and no reshoots. Thats a * tight schedule.

45. third3ye

third3ye Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I'm still not certain why they moved it to May, given the success of Ep7 and Rogue One in a December release. The new date is now only 3 weeks after Avengers 4, which makes no sense. Avatar 2 doesn't release until Dec 2020, so that's not why they moved it. Frozen 2 now has a late Nov release but Ep9 would've been fine opening 3 weeks after Frozen. Animated films usually have long legs and a Frozen sequel would still be raking it in through most of Jan even with a Star Wars release in Dec.

What I suspect may happen in the coming months is Marvel will announce a new date for Avengers 4. They've already disclosed 3 & 4 won't film at the same time, so postponing the movie to say late summer would buy Marvel Studios more time. Marvel could even take Ep9's old slot but they've never released in Dec and that's a hefty gamble with an Avengers film. Nevertheless it would be interesting to see if the Avengers franchise is as solid as Star Wars when it comes to release dates.

46. halliwax

halliwax Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

and here i go thinking I'm going to officially start the episode 9 thread the day of the release of ep8... bryan beats me to it once again... only by a few years :thumbsup

47. The Terminator

MAY 24th 2019
    Just a day before STAR WARS turns 42 :p

Oh and it's nice to see it returning to the right month :lol

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2018
    Inquisitor Peregrinus likes this.
  48. Inquisitor Peregrinus

Inquisitor Peregrinus Master Member

It's always been a May/Memorial Day Weekend thing. OT and PT. TFA was only December because it couldn't be done by May, and for some reason they didn't want to delay it til May of the following year. I remember also that early on they were going to try to have Rogue One out in May to get things back on track, but I think the reshoots nixed that.

--Jonah

49. matty matt

matty matt Sr Member

How long until IX gets bumped back to December as well? I say early next year.

halliwax likes this.
  50. halliwax

halliwax Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I was thinking the same thing lol ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk