Star Wars ep7 BB-8 droid concept

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by Creator1326, Apr 16, 2015.

1. Creator1326

Creator1326 Well-Known Member

This is my concept for the BB-8 droid that is indeed a practical effect and not CGI. There is a side view and top view.

Light Blue is the head dome. I am aware I'd need some batteries and stuff in the head for lights.
    Red are BIG rare earth magnets
    Orange are spherical bearings
    Dark blue are servos for X/Y movement of the positioning arm (the two triangles)
    Purple is the platform (could be any shape). Wheels and platform could probably be swapped too so the wheels hang off of the platform, could be more stable.
    Yellow are the batteries for counterweight.
    Green are Omni wheels. Only two driven to move forward or backward. Drive all four and you can move diagonally or any degree within that.

attachment.jpg

These are Omni wheels
    Omni-Wheels 276-1902.jpg

BB-8-concept.jpg

Omni-Wheels 276-1902.jpg

attachment.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
  2. Creator1326

This is the bottom hanging concept. I'll probably go with this design.
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

3. Duncanator

Duncanator Sr Member

I like it! Your design looks pretty sound. I'd love to see you make it.

Creator1326 likes this.
  4. Creator1326

There is one function I'm unsure of. When the head twists to look around. I'm not sure if they are able to do that with the magnets from within the body or if there are two more wheels in the head to turn it. This is why I drew three magnets. I was hoping they would couple up and act as a magnetic shaft so the articulating arm could twist and rotate the head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Creator1326

Apparently the spherical bearings on the bottom of the head are really "ball transfer units". There are a tons of different sizes, shapes, and materials. I just need to find some plastic versions to keep the weight down.
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

6. RowBoatCop

RowBoatCop Member

Great concept, I've been sketching up a design quite similar in how it runs, however since I'm not an electronics guy I was looking at using an rc car (such as the tyco rebound) which uses a tank drive method (two sticks controlling each side). The method of having the head "float" using magnets & ball transfer units is also what I was thinking. Working it out in my head I'm thinking the head will have to be incredibly light to be held by the magnetic field in motion, & also friction will need to be kept to a minimum, looking forward to getting started on this

7. tmorrow182

tmorrow182 New Member

Great concept! Looking forward to watching this progress!

8. Jay Tomlin

Jay Tomlin New Member

This is an awesome concept! Watching this progress is going to be awesome! I would love to make one BB-8 looks amazing.

9. PhoenixUK

PhoenixUK New Member

Last edited: Apr 17, 2015
    Creator1326 and Prototypical like this.
  10. Creator1326

@PhoenixUK I was unaware of Sphero, thanks for the heads up. I did find a picture of one of the insides of the Sphero toy.
    sphero-motors_450.jpg

Crazy as it sounds I think XKCD beat us all to this concept YEARS ago. I had a keen friend who found this image. They publish on M, W, F, the current one is 1513 and the sphere one is 413, you do the math, I'm too lazy.

https://xkcd.com/413/
    [​IMG]

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and while there are really large neodymium magnets capable of holding a hundred pounds or more I am aware of the inverse square law of gravity and magnetism. I will be endeavoring to keep the arm and head magnets as close together as possible.

On a side note, anybody know where I can get a super sized hamster ball?

11. skint

skint Active Member

Not sure how much you can get from this photo but he is in pieces on the table at the rear on this shot, just behind the radio controller.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 18, 2015
  12. Edwardowan

Edwardowan Sr Member

I would say you pretty much can't get anything from that shot! :D its in pieces... its small, its blurry, and doesn't give away anything... but thanks for trying! LOL!

Sphero is confirmed for BB-8

Iger is credited with discovering Boulder, Colo.-based Sphero, which is responsible for the robot character’s movement. now, Kennedy calls it the “Red Carpet BB-8″ so what we saw is a promo versions and there may be other customized versions for set and of course some CGI because if you watch the first trailer you will notice the head barely touches the body ball.

article here:
    https://fortune.com/2015/04/17/iger-star-wars-bb8-sphero/

Last edited: Apr 18, 2015
  13. Creator1326

Well I can see that the insides of BB-8 are rather solid. After the round doors come off it's not as hollow as I expected.

14. Edwardowan

Edwardowan Sr Member

perhaps what went into BB-8 was prototype work for Sphero 2.0 Peace Keeper Edition which moves faster than a human can run

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
  15. Duncanator

Duncanator Sr Member

I think you are right on with the use of magnets.
    The head doesn't need to float, it just needs to be pulled down on the surface of the ball and the ball transfers do the rolling. Large neodymium magnets can produce a LOT of pull, and if you alternate the north/south orientation on two or more sets of magnets, then the head will stay in alignment with the internal "neck" actuator. You'll want to keep the distance between the internal magnets and the head magnets as close as possible, because the "pull" falls of very rapidly as the distance increases.

I so want someone to build this!

Creator1326 likes this.
  16. RowBoatCop

RowBoatCop Member

I've been running over this in my head with a view to starting my build in the next week, the magnet issue is one I'm thinking will require a lot of tweaking to get just the right amount of "pull" without causing too much friction so that the ball can't roll freely without dragging the head to the floor while rolling forwards. One thought I had was to have an array of magnets (say 6 in a circle) within the ball, and one in the head (which needs to be incredibly lightweight so the less heavy magnets the better). My feeling is that this would provide a magnetic field safety net to keep the head in position as it rolls, I'm not a magnet guy though so I'm not sure of the worth of this idea

17. Duncanator

Duncanator Sr Member

The magnets should be arranged so that for every magnet on the inside of the ball, there is a corresponding magnet in the head.

18. Rymo

Rymo Well-Known Member

Now I'm tempted to take apart my Sphero to try to attach a BB-8 head onto it, just to see if the concept would work. I wonder if the scroll ball mechanism from an old Apple Mighty Mouse would work as the small bearings? It's spring-loaded and very tiny. I have a few of these mice at work that are no longer functional. Hmmm...
    MIGHTY_MOUSE_WIRELESS.jpg mouse06.jpg

19. Conqueror_Worm

Conqueror_Worm Well-Known Member

I've been leaning more towards the idea that the head and body are separate robots. The body would be like the Sphero, and the head would be like this robot:
    https://youtu.be/bI06lujiD7E

20. Creator1326

I've been thinking about the wheels inside and I've seen these ball bots before. I was torn between three and four and the angle would have to be the opposite of the one in your youtube video for use inside the sphere. I really thing the head is magnetically attached. If it was a separate robot it'd fall off on the first bump. If that sphere was metal it's be pretty heavy to overcome rotational inertia and it just seems like a awful amount of work to precisely calibrate the movement of the head to the movement of the body if they were separate wheeled objects..

In this picture from the trailer you can see it doesn't have wheels under the head.
    Screen Shot 2015-04-19 at 12.41.45 PM.png

- - - Updated - - -

I have a ton of these mice a work. After they get crudded up with grime they don't roll so well anymore.

- - - Updated - - -

I agree. It'd have to be some sort of calibration rack that with a few twists of a screw driver you could raise or lower the magnets to get just the right amount of pull.

- - - Updated - - -

Yup, the inverse square law of gravity and magnetism: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inverse-square_law

21. Edwardowan

Edwardowan Sr Member

Last edited: Apr 19, 2015
    Creator1326 likes this.
  22. Creator1326

Almost scared to build the thing now and then get freaking sued over it. I logically deduced what was inside this thing, it's not that hard to do. XKCD did it, I've done it, and Orbotix too only they have a patent :-/ I'd definitely say you have found the best evidence as to who build BB-8! Well done! I've noticed that the Sphero toy uses only two wheels and they were heavily beveled.

23. Darth Lars

Darth Lars Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The head being a separate robot with powered wheels would not contradict the use of magnets. Magnets would probably help a ball-balancing robot be more stable on the ball, reducing the need for it to constantly adjust its position. Powered wheels on the head would make it easier to rotate and to compensate for the balls rolling motion - otherwise the pull of the magnets would be fighting friction.

I would look into putting a magnetometer (electronic compass) in each unit and use a two-way radio protocol between them. That way you would be able to use the head to indicate the direction that the ball would move by its direction on the compass.

The "hamster" inside the ball is likely to rock back and forth inside the ball as it is moving. Put its magnet at the end of a pole that could swing forward and back via a motor, with the hinge being in the centre of the ball. Use a gyroscope on the "hamster" to find how to move it.

IANAL, but unless you would start selling bots or kits, you should be in the clear.

24. cayman shen

cayman shen Master Member

Nice find on those patents!

25. Edwardowan

Edwardowan Sr Member

I can't take credit.. this was posted by Don Beis on the astromech R2 builders' Facebook page... it will help speed things up perhaps!

Creator1326 and cayman shen like this.
  26. Creator1326

You could do that but friction is adjustable by varying the distance between the magnets.

It wouldn't be hard to put two small gyroscopes on the upper part of the arm and the body below the joint, interface it with the X/Y servos and have that adjust relative to the angle of the position of the body.

In regards to the head "looking" in the direction the robot is going if the head is magnetically coupled so that the magnets underneath can twist the head from within then with a position sensor on the rotating magnets the "hamster" would know where from 0-360º the head is pointing and then calculate the wheel movement to move in that direction.

27. Duncanator

Duncanator Sr Member

mvanwalks421 likes this.
  28. Creator1326

I'm starting to wonder if "BB" stands for "Beach Ball". lol!

29. Creator1326

So this cropped up today. My friend Jon found it on imgur.
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

30. halliwax

halliwax Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Just came on to post that same image lol

Creator1326 likes this.
  31. Creator1326

32. RowBoatCop

RowBoatCop Member

Would 36" not be far too large? From what I've read on here estimates put the diameter at around 18". I'll be trying out something along these lines (thanks to James Bruton of robots.co.uk who made me aware that such things exist);

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Craftmill-5...9667975&sr=8-6&keywords=polystyrene+ball+50cm

Certainly a much cheaper option, also the design I'm looking to test will require a ball that can be opened/closed when need be so the interlocking parts of this will be useful in figuring out a closure mechanism

33. Creator1326

They do have 18" and 24" spheres too.

34. Usagi Pilgrim

Usagi Pilgrim Sr Member

35. Creator1326

From what I've heard it's only 1/4 scale right?

36. Usagi Pilgrim

Usagi Pilgrim Sr Member

Smaller.

From what I'm hearing, the retail version will be about the size of a "large apple", & retail for about $150.

37. Creator1326

Good. Then there is still a reason to build a full size version! ;)

38. OB10

OB10 Sr Member

39. Creator1326

40. Creator1326

Here is another idea for BB-8. It's got some sphero ideas like the partial sphere at the top and the sliding magnets.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429763287.338239.jpg

41. Simple

Simple Well-Known Member

42. Creator1326

43. kczimmy

kczimmy New Member

Judging from the size comparison when BB-8 was near R2D2 on stage, I believe the closes standard size polycarbonate ball is 20". Unfortunately when I made mine last December, I used an 18". Doh!

[​IMG]

Randy13 and Creator1326 like this.
  44. Panaflex

Panaflex Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

18' or 20", thats an amazing achievement. Well done.

Creator1326 likes this.
  45. Duncanator

Duncanator Sr Member

46. ender9492

ender9492 Member

47. RowBoatCop

RowBoatCop Member

48. Maulfett

Maulfett Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I believe dome about 11 or 12 inches, body about 19 or 20 inches

49. Maulfett

Maulfett Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I m looking for acrylic or lexan plastic 20 inches diameter sphere or ball.

50. Walter

Walter Sr Member

Carbon fiber?