Star Wars diorama building - a novel idea?

gonk27

Sr Member
Hi all

There's a model making project I've had bubbling away at the back of mind for some time and I wondered if anyone's done anything similar before? if so please PM me!!
icon_smile.gif

When I get time I'm going to make a Star Wars diorama, probably to 4" action figure scale, most likely a Tatooine street or Lars Homestead scene. BUT here's the twist, I want to make a model of an actual FILMING SET (or at least my interpretation of a Star Wars set, maybe for a "scene cut from the OT", or a prequel set with lots of easy-to-make Blue Screen).
icon_biggrin.gif

So although I want the texture and detail of the model to be as realistic as I can get it I also want to be able to look at the reverse side and see all the miniature wooden joists, scaffolding, lighting cables, equipment trunks, blue and green screens even model film cameras on tripods, crew & actors, monitors, folding 'director chairs' and lights!!!! Quite an undertaking and I'm not sure what degree of detail I'll want to go to
icon_biggrin.gif
A sort of cross between a real filming miniature, and a set maquette that an art department might show a director.. make sense?

I could use blue silk or some other thin fabric to represent blue screens glued onto balsa frames; disguise halogen bulbs to make sound stage lights (which would actually illuminate the model); use kit parts to make the Tunisian location junk piles; balsa sheet for the plywood flats making the set (textured with plaster); balsa rod and strip for timber 2x4's and 'something' for steel scaffolding?? All contained in a three walled MDF box suggesting the sound stage itself!

I suppose the beauty is that you needn't get bogged down with building too much - I could even make a very small section of a set to start with, reasoning that it's a model of a Partial Star Wars set, and have the rest as Blue or Green Screen, therefore you have less area to make and detail
icon_smile.gif

I'll probably cannibalize generic action figures of the right scale for cast and crew, and design my own speeders and droid props! Something like this was done at C2 wasn't it??

I was inspired by a beautiful minature I saw in a museum once that portrayed the making of an early silent Hollywood film, it wasn't all that big but it was exquisitely made, and all painted black and white too which was a nice touch given the subject matter!

Might be a pipe dream until I find the time though
icon_rolleyes.gif

Jeremy

sounds like a pretty cool idea. I've always loved the look of the Sandcrawler set... gets about so high and then POOF... nothing! Just some scaffolding
icon_lol.gif

Maybe a set with the sandcrawler accross from the Lars homestead during the droid sale?
Tom

Great idea Tom, thanks for that!
icon_smile.gif

I'm thinking about starting small to begin with (couple of smaller Mos Eisley buildings and shop facades) to see how it goes, then expanding until I run out of space for the model!

The domed homestead entrance would be nice and small but by my very rough reckoning (and I haven't done the maths yet) I might only have space for half a sandcrawler. Perhaps I'll do one tank-tread wheel section and the rest can be blue screen which sounds like all you'd get anyway if they made that set today
icon_biggrin.gif

Jeremy

Great idea Jason!
icon_smile.gif

Actually I've made two Death Star wall panel models in styrene but to get the detail in there I decided to increase the size to 12" action figure scale (just too fiddly in 4" scale!) they just need finishing off.

I was going to make a hard negative mould of these and vac form into that to produce miniature versions of the full size vac formed bits of set to make at least part of the ANH control room set, if not the whole thing.

I think I'll try a smaller 4" scale representation of a exterior set in a sound stage first though!

Jeremy

Yeah that's the sort of thing! thanks for the link Jase
icon_smile.gif

I remember Kelly when I used to visit the R2 builders group, he's done some amazing droid work.

Jeremy

This thread is more than 19 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back