STAR WARS digital release is here!

Looks like there aren't many details yet, but at a guess, I'd expect them to be the blu-ray footage in HD or SD, depending on which version you buy.

Digital HD (1,080 or 720 lines) but no info on whether the source is DVD or Blue-Ray

On Friday, The Star Wars Digital Movie Collection arrives on digital HD platforms (iTunes, Amazon, Vudu, Google Play, PlayStation Store and Verizon FiOS) and marks the first time the six films in George Lucas' two space trilogies have been released for download.
*Digital bonus offerings may vary by retailer
Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace

• Conversations: Doug Chiang Looks Back
  • Discoveries From Inside: Models & Miniatures
  • Legacy content includes “The Beginning”; The Podrace: Theatrical Edit; plus eight deleted scenes.
Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones

• Conversations: Sounds In Space
  • Discoveries From Inside: Costumes Revealed
  • Legacy content includes “From Puppets To Pixels: Digital Characters In Episode II”; State Of The Art: The Previsualization Of Episode II; and “Films Are Not Released, They Escape”; plus Episode II Visual Effects Breakdown Montage and six deleted scenes.
Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith

• Conversations: The Star Wars That Almost Was
  • Discoveries From Inside: Hologram & Bloopers
  • Legacy content includes documentaries “Within A Minute: The Making Of Episode III”; The Journey Part 1; and The Journey Part 2; plus six deleted scenes.
Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope (20th Century Fox)

• Conversations: Creating A Universe
  • Discoveries From Inside: Weapons & The First Lightsaber
  • Legacy content includes “Anatomy Of A Dewback”; Star Wars Launch Trailer; plus eight deleted scenes.
Star Wars: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back

• Conversations: The Lost Interviews
  • Discoveries From Inside: Matte Paintings Unveiled
  • Legacy content includes “A Conversation With The Masters” (2010); “Dennis Muren: How Walkers Walk”; “George Lucas On Editing The Empire Strikes Back1979”; and “George Lucas On The Force: 2010”; plus six deleted scenes.
Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi

• Conversations: The Effects
  • Discoveries From Inside: The Sounds Of Ben Burtt
  • Legacy content includes “Classic Creatures: Return Of The Jedi”; “Revenge Of The Jedi Teaser Trailer”; Return Of The Jedi Launch Trailer; “It Began TV Spot”; “Climactic Chapter TV Spot”; plus five deleted scenes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Same price as the physical blu-ray's except no extra's. I'll stick with the ones I got, thanks.

do you have to buy all six?
Presumably it's the same for VUDU, but on Amazon Prime you can get them individually for $20 each.

- - - Updated - - -

Digital HD (1,080 or 720 lines) but no info on whether the source is DVD or Blue-Ray

On Friday, The Star Wars Digital Movie Collection arrives on digital HD platforms (iTunes, Amazon, Vudu, Google Play, PlayStation Store and Verizon FiOS) and marks the first time the six films in George Lucas' two space trilogies have been released for download.
Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace

• Conversations: Doug Chiang Looks Back
  • Discoveries From Inside: Models & Miniatures
  • Legacy content includes “The Beginning”; The Podrace: Theatrical Edit; plus eight deleted scenes.
Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones

• Conversations: Sounds In Space
  • Discoveries From Inside: Costumes Revealed
  • Legacy content includes “From Puppets To Pixels: Digital Characters In Episode II”; State Of The Art: The Previsualization Of Episode II; and “Films Are Not Released, They Escape”; plus Episode II Visual Effects Breakdown Montage and six deleted scenes.
Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith

• Conversations: The Star Wars That Almost Was
  • Discoveries From Inside: Hologram & Bloopers
  • Legacy content includes documentaries “Within A Minute: The Making Of Episode III”; The Journey Part 1; and The Journey Part 2; plus six deleted scenes.
Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope (20th Century Fox)

• Conversations: Creating A Universe
  • Discoveries From Inside: Weapons & The First Lightsaber
  • Legacy content includes “Anatomy Of A Dewback”; Star Wars Launch Trailer; plus eight deleted scenes.
Star Wars: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back

• Conversations: The Lost Interviews
  • Discoveries From Inside: Matte Paintings Unveiled
  • Legacy content includes “A Conversation With The Masters” (2010); “Dennis Muren: How Walkers Walk”; “George Lucas On Editing The Empire Strikes Back1979”; and “George Lucas On The Force: 2010”; plus six deleted scenes.
Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi

• Conversations: The Effects
  • Discoveries From Inside: The Sounds Of Ben Burtt
  • Legacy content includes “Classic Creatures: Return Of The Jedi”; “Revenge Of The Jedi Teaser Trailer”; Return Of The Jedi Launch Trailer; “It Began TV Spot”; “Climactic Chapter TV Spot”; plus five deleted scenes.

I stand corrected. Still, not for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
They should offer a digital deal for those who sprung for the BluRay collection already. That set cost a ton as it is.

VUDU has a service where you can insert your blu-ray movies in the computer drive and an app online verifies it, and for a very small fee of about $2 each you can own the digital version. I'm betting they aren't going to allow this so they can suck the living life out of our wallets once again.

It would be a VERY nice gesture if they offered some kick back though to those who adopted the Blu-Rays. I am not going to pay $89.99 AGAIN for a streaming version of the Star Wars saga..

VUDU has a service where you can insert your blu-ray movies in the computer drive and an app online verifies it, and for a very small fee of about $2 each you can own the digital version.
Is this a separate thing, or is it a part of the VUDU website? And I suppose you'd need a blu-ray drive for that to work?

Is this a separate thing, or is it a part of the VUDU website? And I suppose you'd need a blu-ray drive for that to work?

It's part of their site, but a separate app here:
http://www.vudu.com/in_home_disc_to_digital.html

the catch is not all movies allow this service. One of those companies I have seen being Disney (of course) unless you have an accompanying digital code that came with your set. LOTS of other movies though you are able to insert your current films and own a digital copy for about $2, or sometimes they have specials for 10 films or more 50% off, so 10 BluRays you could get digital ownership for $10. DVDs cost $5 to upgrade to HDX digital. Look for coupons online, too.

Again, though... I'm willing to bet Star Wars won't be allowed this disc-to-digital service. I will try on April 10th, but if not then I'm going to wait.

And yes, you need a blu-ray drive in your computer to do that, unfortunately.

Another cool thing about VUDU is they use ultraviolet redeem codes and there's communities of people who sell their legal digital codes for very cheap and often can own a newer film for less than renting! Look up keywords on google like "HDX codes google+ tictal". A lot of legit sellers of those ultraviolet one-time use insert codes. Just do some research to make sure you find a reputable seller.

I have zero interest in digital content anyhow, I already have the DVD and Bluray (and laserdisc and VHS) versions, if I want it digital, I'll just rip what I have. I'm not buying the same movies over and over and over again any longer. I never watch anything where I'd need digital files anyhow.

Yeah, I mean, the extras might be nice, but...I've got what I need at this point. Pretty much, until they release an OOT archival edition, or if Ep. VII is cool, I doubt I'm gonna be buying more Star Wars movies, regardless of the format.

Oops.

starwarsdigitalmoviecollection_zpsw5p2rqxz.jpg

I am so buying this, but all your collective reactions is why you will never get an OOT release any time soon. Also it's why this wasn't advertised more, everyone owns these films, Fox is desperate to make some final money and Disney will wait them out.

I'll do the disc to digital for a few bucks if it ever becomes available, but I'm not buying these movies yet again.

I like this.

Digital bonus offerings aren't the same from retailer to retailer? It almost looks like retailer exclusives that plague the tangible medium market might just pass on into the digital realm as well.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back