Star Wars Digital Archive Project

s2jesse

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Star Wars Digital Archive Project

Ok so as part of my patreon I'm starting to model some VERY accurate vintage Star Wars parts. These parts will not be eyeballed but rather measured and reproduced with extreme care. I have high end measuring equipment etc. Here is an example of the first. Its a WIP of the eumig servomatic. I am modeling all of the macrobinocular parts both separately and then combined.
digital archive project.jpg

Puzzlebox Props is creating Free 3D Printable Models, Props, Tutorials, CNC, and more. | Patreon

So why do this?

1. Vintage Parts are getting harder and harder to come by if they can be found at all. Not to mention some of the prices are getting too far out of reach for a lot of builders. I know I wish I had access to them.

2. Accurate models are an invaluable tool for many reasons including build planning, identifying and triangulating information from screenshots, obviously 3D printing and more.

3. I'll provide both accurate CAD models in most instances as well as 3D printable files just as I do with all of my other files.

4. I'm wanting to contribute as much as I can back to patreon supporters and the prop community. Members can download and print and use any of the information for themselves. But not sell or create commissions using the files without talking to me first.

Why Patreon?

Let's look at this first example. Over time I've spent about $2000 To get all of my vintage macrobinocular parts. In addition, I have already spent well over 30+ hours just modeling the eumig alone. The little bit of help the support provides goes a very long way both for morale and helps with being able to focus more time on modeling etc.

I could, but have no interest in selling individual models. If I can build a community of great people who all share the same interests, it makes me extremely happy to give away all my models in thanks for the support.
I'm confident this is a very good value. For instance, if somebody supports for one month that is only $5 and can download all of my models to date. I could sell be selling my Enfys Nest helmet model alone for $100+. Again I'm not interested in that. It is basically the honor system. There is nothing stopping somebody from signing up for one month downloading everything and quitting I just hope people find value and won't do that ;) However, if your financial situation is so tight that you literally can only afford that then I'm happy to help.

Thoughts?

1. What are your thoughts / reaction.
2. Do you like this idea of archiving super accurate vintage parts or should I just stick to visual models.
3. After the macro binocular components, what accurate vintage model would you like to see next.

Thanks guys
S2Jesse / Puzzlebox Props

An honorable idea, and I hope it works out for you. I really just wanted say that is some fantastic rendering!
Good job!

It's in a buncha stuff. Snowtrooper uniform. Hoth scanner. Some Alien stuff as well. Kind of a universal greeblie, but people sized. I really love this project, btw.

This is amazing. Your ambition is admirable and your execution is outstanding, if the above is any indication.

If I had the skill, I’d be doing the exact same thing.

That is insane!!!!
What modelling software are you using?

Field Marshall ...these are the lenses I was referring to ;)
Fusion 360 and rendered in 3dsmax. I planned to cnc these but to do it very accurately in all the movable pieces would be very expensive... almost cheaper to to buy the real thing :) I might cnc a hybrid that looks perfectly accurate but doesnt have all of the seperate threaded rings etc

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back