Star Wars Digital Archive Project

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by s2jesse, Mar 4, 2019.

1. s2jesse

s2jesse Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Star Wars Digital Archive Project

Ok so as part of my patreon I'm starting to model some VERY accurate vintage Star Wars parts. These parts will not be eyeballed but rather measured and reproduced with extreme care. I have high end measuring equipment etc. Here is an example of the first. Its a WIP of the eumig servomatic. I am modeling all of the macrobinocular parts both separately and then combined.
    digital archive project.jpg

Puzzlebox Props is creating Free 3D Printable Models, Props, Tutorials, CNC, and more. | Patreon

So why do this?

1. Vintage Parts are getting harder and harder to come by if they can be found at all. Not to mention some of the prices are getting too far out of reach for a lot of builders. I know I wish I had access to them.

2. Accurate models are an invaluable tool for many reasons including build planning, identifying and triangulating information from screenshots, obviously 3D printing and more.

3. I'll provide both accurate CAD models in most instances as well as 3D printable files just as I do with all of my other files.

4. I'm wanting to contribute as much as I can back to patreon supporters and the prop community. Members can download and print and use any of the information for themselves. But not sell or create commissions using the files without talking to me first.

Why Patreon?

Let's look at this first example. Over time I've spent about $2000 To get all of my vintage macrobinocular parts. In addition, I have already spent well over 30+ hours just modeling the eumig alone. The little bit of help the support provides goes a very long way both for morale and helps with being able to focus more time on modeling etc.

I could, but have no interest in selling individual models. If I can build a community of great people who all share the same interests, it makes me extremely happy to give away all my models in thanks for the support.
    I'm confident this is a very good value. For instance, if somebody supports for one month that is only $5 and can download all of my models to date. I could sell be selling my Enfys Nest helmet model alone for $100+. Again I'm not interested in that. It is basically the honor system. There is nothing stopping somebody from signing up for one month downloading everything and quitting I just hope people find value and won't do that ;) However, if your financial situation is so tight that you literally can only afford that then I'm happy to help.

Thoughts?

1. What are your thoughts / reaction.
    2. Do you like this idea of archiving super accurate vintage parts or should I just stick to visual models.
    3. After the macro binocular components, what accurate vintage model would you like to see next.

Thanks guys
    S2Jesse / Puzzlebox Props

Title, stonky, Bengrim09 and 4 others like this.
  2. DeLano80

DeLano80 Well-Known Member

An honorable idea, and I hope it works out for you. I really just wanted say that is some fantastic rendering!
    Good job!

3. TazMan2000

TazMan2000 Sr Member

I think it's a great idea.

TazMan2000

4. s2jesse

Heres a little vid of the progress.

TK-326 and waynefj40 like this.
  5. s2jesse

More work heres the start of the kaligar lens. Little more details then on to knobs and viewer.
    lense.jpg

6. tubachris85x

tubachris85x Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

May be willing to loan one of the thermostat parts if interested

7. s2jesse

interesting for which prop?

8. veektohr

veektohr Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

It's in a buncha stuff. Snowtrooper uniform. Hoth scanner. Some Alien stuff as well. Kind of a universal greeblie, but people sized. I really love this project, btw.

9. s2jesse

ahh ok the disk with the 3 raised disks?

10. ApostleofColor

ApostleofColor Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Oh man! I’m so about to support! This macro thing is awesome

11. tubachris85x

tubachris85x Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

12. s2jesse

Bengrim09 likes this.
  13. s2jesse

Ok lenses done. Here is a render :) not gonna lie... kaligar_lens_showcase.jpg nerding out a bit with this :)

Bradberry00, Bengrim09 and Drew Baker like this.
  14. Dalziel44

Dalziel44 New Member

This is amazing. Your ambition is admirable and your execution is outstanding, if the above is any indication.

If I had the skill, I’d be doing the exact same thing.

15. Dalziel44

Dalziel44 New Member

Please do some Racal Minilite Amplivox headsets.

They’re impossible to find!

16. Dalziel44

Dalziel44 New Member

That’s as far as I’d got in Shapr after 3 hours!

IMG_0737.jpg

17. s2jesse

Thanks! its oddly kinda therapeutic modeling this stuff so accurately. :)

Dalziel44 likes this.
  18. Anakin Starkiller

Anakin Starkiller Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Amazing work!!! can't wait to see what else you come up with.

19. OdiWan72

OdiWan72 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

That is insane!!!!
    What modelling software are you using?

Field Marshall ...these are the lenses I was referring to ;)

20. s2jesse

Fusion 360 and rendered in 3dsmax. I planned to cnc these but to do it very accurately in all the movable pieces would be very expensive... almost cheaper to to buy the real thing :) I might cnc a hybrid that looks perfectly accurate but doesnt have all of the seperate threaded rings etc

21. kurtyboy

kurtyboy Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

That's some impressive modelling.

22. s2jesse

thanks man i specialize more in the organic scultping. the mechanical stuff is pretty easy once you know the processes :)

23. shaunsheep

shaunsheep Well-Known Member

just joined ;) no 47

24. SethS

SethS Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Amazing work!

What prop comes next?

25. s2jesse

you are the man my friend thaks for the support. Sidon Ithano helmet is going live in next couple days on there fyi

26. s2jesse

First the rest of the macrobinocular parts. I have all of the real vintage parts. After that not sure yet but I also have e11 parts including real sterling parts, counter, scope etc, lots of graflex, mgc mauser, few other things.

This will be available in the next couple days. I won't necessarily classify the Sidon helmet as part of the digital archive project but it is fairly accurate. I'll only denote a model as part of the Digital Archive Project if i have the actual vintage item in hand and can take accurate measurements. But this is next model on the patreon none the less. copuledays.jpg

Bengrim09 likes this.
  27. Bengrim09

Bengrim09 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Do you do a yearly subscription?

28. s2jesse

I dont think you can do that on patreon but its just 5 bux a month to get access to the files which i think is / will be a total steal for the quality im trying to put into them... However if somebody REALLY cant afford that i would probably send them a file anyway. Im doing this mainly for fun but the time and effort does add up :)

Bengrim09 likes this.
  29. Bengrim09

I love what your doing, I’m trying to learn autocad and other 3D designs,
    doing a yearlong subscription would save me hassle having to do it every month, I’m getting older, busier and more forgetful :lol::confused::confused:
    I will sign up in the next couple of days
    Good luck with future work

30. Bengrim09

Just signed up before I forget :confused::D

31. mrwax

mrwax Active Member

Patreon will automatically charge you monthly, so just remember to check back in a year! I like Patreon, but I do have to be careful how many people I support on it. 5ish bucks a month per person adds up pretty quickly. That being said, it wasn't a hard decision to support s2jesse.

Bengrim09 likes this.
  32. s2jesse

Thanks man :) appreciate it :) again trying to create a crazy good value. Side note: i just uploaded the sidon beta files. Download at: Puzzlebox Props is creating Free 3D Printable Models, Props, Tutorials, CNC, and more. | Patreon