STAR WARS Debate Settled? (Guess we're all vindicated, huh? :) )

Funny. I always thought that Greedo drew first, but Han got off the first (and decisive) shot. A classic Old West situation, which went along with Lucas' supposed original statement that he was trying to make a homage to movie serials.

Greedo had his gun pointed at Han the entire time, infact had it pressed into his chest to back him into the booth

J

I am a little perplexed that GL thought to dumb this scene down for us. The relationship between Han and Greedo was already established when Greedo pushed a blaster into Han's chest - Greedo meant business! In self-defense, Han slowly drew is blaster. When Han says "... over my dead body..." Greedo's comments tell Han he is about to die. Unfortunately, for Greedo, Han acted. There was no reason, in my opinion, to alter that scene in anyway. Plainly put Greedo drew first. But like every baddie in every western... he simply "talked" to much.

Also, I dont see much difference between the cantina scene and the scene in Raiders when Indy shoots the swordsman?

However, GL has every right to change his mind and the scene if he chooses. I respect that. I just wish he / Disney will consider releasing the original theatrical version for those true die hard fans. Heck... it's a money maker! I'd buy it! :)

I am a little perplexed that GL thought to dumb this scene down for us. The relationship between Han and Greedo was already established when Greedo pushed a blaster into Han's chest - Greedo meant business! In self-defense, Han slowly drew is blaster. When Han says "... over my dead body..." Greedo's comments tell Han he is about to die. Unfortunately, for Greedo, Han acted. There was no reason, in my opinion, to alter that scene in anyway. Plainly put Greedo drew first. But like every baddie in every western... he simply "talked" to much.

Also, I dont see much difference between the cantina scene and the scene in Raiders when Indy shoots the swordsman?

However, GL has every right to change his mind and the scene if he chooses. I respect that. I just wish he / Disney will consider releasing the original theatrical version for those true die hard fans. Heck... it's a money maker! I'd buy it! :)

Disney doesn't own the distribution rights, Fox does in perpetuity.

I don't think that means Disney can't release it. They would just have to release it through Fox.

Seems pretty stupid to not release it again, period, so as not to have to pay Fox. I mean, seriously, it takes no effort on either side of the spectrum and everyone makes money. If that's honestly what's stopping a re-release ever again, they're both guilty of pure corporate greed.

We've been through this before. It's not likely to happen until the 2020s or so, and even then there's no guarantee. ESB and ROTJ distro rights revert to Disney around then, but Fox will own the rights to distribute ANH forever (or until they sell them).

Disney can change this or that, and can choose to issue a release, but it has to go through Fox if they do. They just have no real incentive to release the OOT any time soon. Although, all of that's fairly off topic.

I know it's sacrilege but for the most part I actually like the SE of Star Wars EXCEPT for 2 changes.

Greedo shooting, and 'Jedi Rocks' in Jabbas palace. Personally I wish Disney would pull that crap out.

The rest of the SE I'm okay with.

I'm ok with a fair number of the changes, too, but in addition to those scenes, I'm really not a fan of the Han/Jabba scene in ANH.

My major gripe is that there is only the SE as the legal option to watch. Go ahead and tweak/update/whatever all you want, but at least allow consumers to see the original version if they want to, just remastered for modern displays.

Not sure if this was posted anywhere else as I know it has been out a few days and on Facebook as well but I thought I would post this here:

http://www.cheatsheet.com/entertain...george-lucas-changed-his-mind.html/?a=viewall

I'm like a few others here in that I enjoy the SEs and happy with the changes... except for the "Greedo shoots first" thing. I consider myself a very laid back fan. I usually find a way to except weird occurrences by either reminding myself that Star Wars is fantasy, not science fiction and that things in the Star Wars universe have reason for happening and we just don't have to knowledge to know exactly why.

This new article really does not shine any new light on the issue for me. I think we already knew his reasons. Lucas argues that for Solo to become the type of person he is going to be, he can't shoot anyone in cold blood. However I think that is the flaw in his argument.

Shooting first is not cold blooded. Han's life was in immediate danger. To me, the scene was an Star Wars version of a two gunfighters meeting on the street. The goodguy knows he is going to get shot. He knows that if the budgie shoots first, it's over. The good guy needs to shoot first in order to survive. If Greedo was sitting there with his blaster in his holster saying he was going to kill Han and Han snuck his blaster out under the table and shot Greedo, that would be cold blooded.

The other issue of course is the idea that Han is going to let a guy 3 to 4 feet away make the first shot and hope he survives to shoot second is ridiculous. He either is hoping that Greedo is going to be the worst shot ever and/or that Han's reflex's are Jedi-like. Both of those just don't make sense.

The only thing I can think of as to why Han is ok with Greedo shooting first is a scenario such as this: The word is out that Greedo is coming after Han and that he intends to collect the bounty with him dead. Han happens upon Greedo prior to the meeting in the cantina and without Greedo knowing, takes his blaster and bends the the barrel (or some sort of emitter setting) so that any shot will go high and right. So in the scene, Han knows Greedo will miss and his head movement is simply a reflex of the blaster bolt passing close to his head. Of course there is no hint of that happening.

If Han is the type of character that would never shoot first, why does he fire on and unarmed Vader at Bespin?

And ..

Why is it okay for Luke to shoot first?

Am I outraged by Greedo shooting first? No... not even close. I simply argue that the scene did not need to be changed in order for Han to be considered an honorable character and I hope that one day, it will be restored.

Last edited by a moderator:
The whole thing was stupidly re-done in the SE. If GL wanted to make the change, all he had to do was add a shot that implies Greedo was on the verge of firing. Maybe he starts to squeeze the trigger, or a line of dialogue, etc. Han could still get the first shot off. Problem solved.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back