Star Wars complete saga - which version?

Guri

Sr Member
Not to bring THIS up again, but...

My son's best friend has never seen Star Wars and really wants to - so for my son's 14th birthday they are looking to have a marathon. The copies we bought years and years ago are scratched and unwatchable and since we aren't forking out a bunch for a big party, I thought I'd buy new copies and would like to stay under $150.

Thing is - it's this Saturday, so I have to order in today or tomorrow...

SO, my question: Does anyone know where I can find or want to give me a quick run down of the edits in the currently available for purchase blu-ray and DVD's and the pros and cons?

I could do a search, but we've got virtual school all day and then diving and I'd just like the opinions of my trusted friends here at RPF.... :)

Here's what I found on Amazon

If I don't hear something convincing to the contrary, I'll probably just get the blu-ray. Thanks everyone!

The Blu would be the easiest way to go. The 2004 DVD had stupid changes beyond even the 1997 Special Edition (this is when Hayden showed up at the end of ROTJ), and the Blu brought us more, but your son and his friend are not going to notice or care.

Actually, check out the Blu Ray page itself. If you scroll down, there's a chart that lays out all the differences between the various packages that may help with deciding. Although it looks like the 2006 DVDs (with the "bonus disc" LD rips) aren't available anymore. There are, of course, "other sources" for those, and there are the fan edits too, but I think it depends on which version(s) you want to watch.

The "bonus disc" versions appear to be selling for $50 a piece on Amazon, which is INSANE, but probably has more to do with the fact that there is literally no other legitimate source for the OOT out there.

You could also try ebay.

My sense is that the blu-ray is probably your easiest bet and gets you the most bang for your buck, even if it doesn't come with the "OOT" option and has additional incremental changes which...have been thoroughly discussed on this board and elsewhere.

Good luck!

I'm not entirely sure if they're still available, but back in 2005 I picked up all three of the originals on DVD, the sets I got included both the Special Editions and the original Theatrical Editions. I love having the unaltered originals on DVD, mind you the quality wasn't very good, but I didn't really care all that much.

If you're looking to have them view the originals, that would be your best bet. I've heard the sets I'm talking about are a bit hard to find these days, so I would check out eBay.

Thanks for the input! I am leaning toward the blu-ray... the price is decent. We are now making up a menu for the marathon. *hehehe*

Yeah, right? Haha!

Not sure how much I'll be watching with them. I can't afford to give up that many hours on a weekend - too much weeding and cleaning and stuff. More since I'm not going to be making my son help! :p

My only thought is that Uncle George is on the record saying that kids will only know the modified films. Personally I try to fight that although you may not care. :)

There are a few alternatives to the BluRay, even one HD option if you have a digital media player. Your best bet would be to find the double disc DVD's with the original cuts though. This is the set you're looking for:

http://www.amazon.ca/Star-Wars-Epis...=sr_1_19?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1334111509&sr=1-19

Only sold individually though.

As I said, you probably don't care but this is the last set that will have the original cut of the films. It's glorious, my favourite discs in my collection.

As I said, you probably don't care but this is the last set that will have the original cut of the films. It's glorious, my favourite discs in my collection.
Yeah, the 'Han shoots first' is classic, and the omission of the redundant Jabba scene is welcome, but all else in the movies re-workings plays pretty well IMO.
Mileage, of course, varies.

Yeah, the 'Han shoots first' is classic, and the omission of the redundant Jabba scene is welcome, but all else in the movies re-workings plays pretty well IMO.
Mileage, of course, varies.

Hands down the worst offense is the re-write of the Vader/Emperor chat in ESB. Makes Vader look like a total clueless tool. Jabba scene is second worst in my opinion.

The special editions just make the OT less interesting IMHO. Anyhow, I'm sure Guri doesn't want the rant. ;)

You pay the postage, I'll GIVE you all six of my DVDs and a couple bonus discs.

Just PM me and we'll work it out.

But the BluRays are gorgeous if you don't over analyze them. First timers will never even blink.

You should try the "Machete order": 1,2,4,5,3,6

danny_trejo.jpg

I dont think they will notice, or hate anything about them if its their first viewing.

Take me, I am 26 and my first time seeing the OT was in the theaters in 1997 for the Special Editions. Do I hate Greedo shooting first? No, it really doesnt bother me because that was what I knew from the beginning.

When I watch the OT (before BR) I watched the OOT, not because it was the "true" edition, no, it was because it was different, and I had it. I love both the OOT, and the SE.

I think that anyone who is shown the SE's first will probably like them. I did.

Thomas

You pay the postage, I'll GIVE you all six of my DVDs and a couple bonus discs.

Just PM me and we'll work it out.

But the BluRays are gorgeous if you don't over analyze them. First timers will never even blink.

That's a wonderful offer... thank you so much. PM in progress..

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back