Star Wars Blu-Rays... Again

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Movie Talk' started by alienscollection.com, Aug 5, 2015.

1. alienscollection.com

alienscollection.com Master Member

2. PoopaPapaPalps

PoopaPapaPalps Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

"Give us your money, fools!"

3. robn1

robn1 Master Member

These aren't the blurays I'm looking for, move along...

cayman shen, Wes R, Solo4114 and 3 others like this.
  4. Jeyl

Jeyl Master Member

*Looks at Episode II's cover*

Huh. Well at least the folks doing the artwork agree that he was a baddie.

5. Axlotl

Axlotl Master Member

That box art is terrible.
    I miss the days of inspired box art.

6. cboath

cboath Master Member

Interesting that the cover art for 5/6 is a bad guy :)

Yoda was a bad*** in the other one :)

Dissappointing that they're now dropping the Episode numbers.

7. Clerval

Clerval Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

It's not that they're bad guys, they're not using actor likenesses...

8. The Terminator

The Terminator Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Milk milk milk milk

4K versions next year? Unedited originals in 2034? :facepalm

...and what about Ray Park? Ian McDiarmid?

9. Jeyl

Jeyl Master Member

Wouldn't Jango Fett be more appropriate for Episode II?

10. Clerval

Clerval Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

You think those are Ray Park's and Ian McDiarmid's likenesses...?

11. niennumb1

niennumb1 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Seriously a huge waste of resources to put these out again. I think the saga box art is better than the one I got in the first offering, but there's absolutely so selling points to this collection to make me even have an inkling of wanting to buy it.

I'll be waiting for what we all are wanting. Until then, no more money from me.

Solo4114, robn1, Axlotl and 1 other person like this.
  12. DakGibralter

DakGibralter Member

Ugh. It really is terrible artwork. How do a stormtrooper and Palpatine beat out Luke, Han or Leia for 5/6? And CGI Yoda instead of practical yoda is just insulting.

If they insist on minimalism, there are so many options. How about:

I: Little Anakin
    II: Angry Anakin
    III: Vader
    IV: Farmboy Luke
    V: Dagobah Luke
    VI: Jedi Luke

Or even

I: Maul
    II: Palpatine
    III: Sidious
    IV: Ben
    V: Yoda
    VI: Luke

Or locations! Or ships! Or lightsabers!

Ugh I could go on for days. These feel so lazy.

13. jarroth

jarroth Well-Known Member

just recently i watched SW again on the old VHS tapes, from before they got remastered. somehow i do think that the originals are better than the remasters with the new stuff added.

14. matty matt

matty matt Sr Member

I haven't bought a release since the original 2004 DVDs and I won't be buying one until they release you know what. I'm prepared to wait forever, that's how crazy I am. You hear me Disney?! You hear meeee?!?!?!

3phase, Axlotl, Solo4114 and 3 others like this.
  15. James Kenobi 1138

James Kenobi 1138 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

They are just getting Blu-Ray copies in stores to build hype for EP7.

Seems weird I know but there are kids wanting to see EP7 that were toddlers when the last Blu-Rays were in stores and their parents didn't buy them. Some people actually never upgraded from the VHS tapes.

I bought my son the OT and NT 2 Christmas's ago and I had to order them after checking 7-8 different brick and mortar stores.

Riceball likes this.
  16. Treadwell

Treadwell Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

There's always going to be a home video release of something, anything, remotely related around the time of a theatrical release. It's simple marketing, and it makes sense. If there's money to be made, why not? This is typically where "money grab" complaints start, and I think that's silly. We don't have to buy it.

Riceball likes this.
  17. Mola Rob

Mola Rob Sr Member

Exactly. I haven't purchased the last 86 re-releases and I'm not about to get these either. There's a ton of non-altered movies on Blu I would rather buy.

18. darth_myeek

darth_myeek Sr Member

I hope the old sw blurays which aren't selling at my target go on clearance. I'd love to get the extras disc on the cheap.

19. JD

JD Master Member

I'd love to get copies of the blu rays in individual packaging... but, I'm not a huge fan of steelbooks and I hate to buy yet another version of these.

Decisions, decisions...

20. Brent M

Brent M Sr Member

21. JD

JD Master Member

Yes, because promoting illegal activity like piracy is just great for everyone. :rolleyes

Why not just head to Target or Best Buy or whatever and grab your copy from the shelf? Same thing... but, I bet no one's asinine enough to suggest that.

22. Jaitea

Jaitea Master Member

I like the snippets we've seen on the official site of 'Conversations' that goes with the digital downloads,.....hopefully they are on the new blu's

J

23. Solo4114

Solo4114 Master Member

I haven't paid for a Star Wars home media release since the '06 release with the LD rips, and those I got -- on sale at 60% off, I might add -- because I wanted legit versions of the stuff I already had from Ebay. Prior to that, my last purchase was the Widescreen THX VHS tapes from '95.

I'm not buying anything else until I get the version I want. I get why they're doing this, but you've gotta figure that most fans who would buy this stuff have already done so. I can't imagine there's a huge market for these things.

Wes R likes this.
  24. Axlotl

Axlotl Master Member

I haven't bought a Star Wars movie since that first gold box set of VHS special editions.

I went through a phase after the special editions and prequels where I was so upset with Star Wars and George Lucas that I gave away, threw away, or sold everything I had that was remotely related to Star Wars.
    Unfortunately, that also meant my original VHS tapes from the '80s. I really wish I had kept those.

I'll probably go see the new film this winter, but other than that Lucasfilm isn't getting another penny from me until they release the unaltered originals on DVD.
    I may buy a BluRay player if I have to, but if the box art is as half-assed as this, I'll probably pass.

Wes R likes this.
  25. Solo4114

Solo4114 Master Member

Honestly, I have the "bonus discs" that came with the OT DVDs in the '06 set. Those are at higher resolution than VHS, and are in letterbox format...and they suck. A VHS player simply doesn't work with modern displays. Displays back then were all 4:3. There were no widescreen TVs. This meant that all images had to fit the 4:3 display. So, any widescreen or letterbox VHS set was basically the widescreen IMAGE stuck in a 4:3 box.

When you try to play that on a modern widescreen display, you get black bars on the side (where there is no image) PLUS the "letterbox/widescreen" black bars at the top and bottom of the original image. In other words, the actual film itself is even smaller. There's basically nothing you can do to fix this, either, because the technology back then didn't automatically adapt images the way DVDs/BRs do now. The VHS/LD image is a static feed. You'll ALWAYS have those black bars at the top and bottom, and it will ALWAYS be in 4:3. You can zoom in on the image or stretch, but then you just have a blurry, low-res image, and typically one that's warped because you're stretching a native 4:3 feed onto a 16:9 display.

Bottom line: there is no legal way to watch the OOT on a modern display that doesn't suck. VHS, LD, or the LD rips that were included with the '06 DVDs...they all suck. So, don't feel too bad about getting rid of the VHS copies. At this point, they're nothing special.

Riceball and Axlotl like this.
  26. Inquisitor Peregrinus

Inquisitor Peregrinus Master Member

Yup. I have the mid-'90s widescreen VHS box set and ILM Definitive (HAH!) Edition LD set, plus the silver box (widescreen) set of the Special Editions on VHS -- before George tampered with them further for the '04 DVD release. I have the Prequels on DVD, as well. No BluRay/4k for me until the question of 3D gets settled once and for all. Personally, I think it adds to the experience, the way it was done for TPM, and I want to see the other two Prequels in 3D (if not the OT). Beyond that, I doubt we'll see an unedited version of the OT -- LFL have made it pretty clear that that trilogy as George last touched it is the way things are. So far, I think AdyWan's the closest I can get to Star Wars the way I feel it ought to be, and even then... *sigh* This is why I tackled rewriting the Prequels and ROTJ. I want them to be worthy of the first two films. Beyond that I don't really care about image size or resolution. :p

--Jonah

27. Wes R

Wes R Legendary Member

That was the last ones I bought too. I have no interest in buying anything until the unaltered originals come out.

Axlotl likes this.
  28. Clutch

Clutch Master Member

29. Riceball

Riceball Sr Member

I was considering getting the last Blu-Ray release but when I heard that there were even more changes made I decided against it, and since this release will probably the same altered BR release from last time I'm not too sure that I want to get this one. Maybe if it goes on deep clearance or something I might pick it up.

30. Brent M

Brent M Sr Member

Why, for pointing out the truth? Care to elaborate on why you feel that way or would you rather just throw bombs?

tgreco likes this.
  31. DakGibralter

DakGibralter Member

To be fair, Harmy's Despevialized Editions aren't exactly illegal, and they're far and away better than any official HD release.

That man is a true hero.

Falk likes this.
  32. JD

JD Master Member

I agree that guy is an absolute idiot.

#1. He's advocating piracy. Illegal and immoral.

#2. Suggesting it's somehow a "duty" to pirate bootleg material.

#3. He's suggesting a pirated version produced by an amateur without original source material and without consent of the owner and artist is somehow superior.

#4. Again, more fanboy whining that somehow we're owed something. They're releasing what's available, something that the work has been done on and already been paid for. They're releasing what the creator (and original owner) wanted released.

#5. He's taking a quote by George Lucas and twisting it out of context and trying to use it as a slam against him. A juvenile attempt to take a jab at George. I think it's more barbarian to suggest an artist can't do what he'd like with their own art.

The author fails to mention while that the Blu Ray version of Star Wars might not be his preferred version - most folks might not even realize or care about the changes... he also fails to mention that there have been releases of the original version - including a DVD release - just because it might not meet his standards of release doesn't give one entitlement or a right to pirate (or incite illegal activity). Let's also not forget that a 35 MM print of the original release is in the Library of Congress.

For lack of a better term this is yellow journalism... well, I hate to use the term "journalism" with this kind of *-hattery nonsense.

jlee562 and Bryancd like this.
  33. Solo4114

Solo4114 Master Member

Without commenting on Harmy's worth as a person, his version is, indeed, illegal at least insofar as someone else downloading it (and him uploading it) are. I'd argue that it's fair use under the Copyright Act for him to make it in the first place, but distributing it -- and someone else downloading and/or otherwise distributing it -- is pretty clearly copyright infringement.

Now, whether you think that's an immoral issue is a different matter entirely. People can debate the morality of downloading the despecialized edition all they like, but there's really no good argument that it somehow isn't copyright infringement.

So, I stand by my statement that there's no legally available version of the OOT that doesn't suck.

34. Axlotl

Axlotl Master Member

As far as I know, Harmy's product is free, so is it really copyright infringement if he isn't profiting off it?
    Also, he requires you to provide proof that you own the bluerays, insuring that LFL gets their money, regardless.

35. DakGibralter

DakGibralter Member

Agreed. To my understanding, the despecialized editions, when made for free by and for people who already own the films, is at worst a grey area in terms of fair use.

36. niennumb1

niennumb1 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I don't feel bad for having the early Harmy editions, For the record I have stated time and again that I WOULD BUY THESE if they were made an official release. The fact is they are not.

I have owned the VHS trilogy set from the 80's, the THX Widescreen VHS Boxed Set Trilogy (when it was "One Last Time"), I've bought the Special Edition VHS Widescreen Box Set, the 2006 DVD 4-disc Widescreen Boxed Set, and the current "Blew-Ray" Edition Boxed Set. As a consumer I have more than financially contributed my support for these films and have never hesitated to buy them again when something different was going to be offered. However, the Blu-Rays of the OT, while they look the sharpest they've ever been, are a real let down with some of the last-straw "enhancements" made to the films. I absolutely cannot stand the "NOOO!" in ROTJ. I can tolerate some of the additions made, but in all I am not happy with what I purchased.

I do not feel bad for one second about having a faithful upscale to HD of the original movies from Harmy. I will keep watching them and when Disney/Lucasfilm decides they finally give the people what they've been asking for then I will be absolutely happy to shell out the money once more.

This new Blu-Ray cover set though... They aren't getting a dime of mine. And I certainly am not buying the digital collection either, as much as I have adopted the streaming movie ownership thing and love it on VUDU.

Augh likes this.
  37. Solo4114

Solo4114 Master Member

Deleted. Duplicate post.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2015
  38. Solo4114

Solo4114 Master Member

This is a common misconception among people who know only a little bit about copyright law. The short answer is, yes, it's really truly copyright infringement. I'm not saying this to be snarky. Fair Use is actually a fairly complex concept in copyright law. But yeah, it can still be infringement, even if you don't make a buck off of it yourself. And requiring someone to "prove" that they own the material already, is a pretty thin defense, too.

I'll put it this way. Assuming Harmy was able to afford actually mounting a legal defense against a claim of infringement, I would expect most lawyers to just settle the case because they'd know he was screwed. The fair use defense doesn't work here.

Like I said, if people want to argue that what he's doing isn't immoral, that's up for debate. I'm not suggesting people should or shouldn't feel bad for downloading his stuff. But it is most definitely illegal, the same way it would be if I made hundreds of thousands of photocopies of Watchmen and distributed it to people on the street for free, because I thought it should be viewed only in black-and-white print, rather than in color.

jlee562, JD and Bryancd like this.
  39. Brent M

Brent M Sr Member

Amen, brother. I know there are some people on here(like a certain user with initials who is on my Ignore List) that try to paint having something like the Despecialized Editions as a moral or ethical issue which I find completely laughable. I've bought countless copies of Star Wars on VHS, DVD and Blu-Ray so I have absolutely ZERO guilt about watching Harmy's versions and I will continue to feel that way until films are presented in the way that they were originally shown in theaters. Period.

40. JD

JD Master Member

I want a 1964 1/2 Mustang. Ford doesn't make that model anymore. That doesn't entitle me to start making a copies for myself nor can I just start giving those copies away... Ford doesn't care that owned one years ago or that I've had six different Mustangs over the years.

41. JD

JD Master Member

:D I win again... ignore what you can't accept. (The best part is I have no idea who you are. LOL).

This is huge issue with people today: entitlement. They think they're entitled to something - because they did this, that or another thing. You can try to justify however you'd like to, but that doesn't make it right or acceptable. People with this sort of viewpoint are part of the problem, not a solution - they're spoiled brats who feel they're owed something.

You can chose to ignore the immoral or ethical issues that are readily apparent with this issue. But that doesn't make you any less guilty of hiding your head in the sand.

42. Brent M

Brent M Sr Member

I'm sure JD has tried to make himself feel better by replying directly to my posts even though he's on my Ignore List and I'm sorry to anyone who has to read more of his inane ramblings because of this. I learned a long time ago that there's no point in responding to him so ultimately he just ends up talking to himself and thinking that he has won the debate. Hopefully logical discussion can continue here and his annoying interruptions can be ignored.

Moving on, I'm interested to know among the REASONABLE people here who thinks Harmy's versions are perfectly fine to enjoy and who finds them to be illegal/immoral? I'm just curious as to how the issue breaks down among fellow members.

43. Inquisitor Peregrinus

Inquisitor Peregrinus Master Member

Given all the companies out there that do make replicas of classic cars, there is obviously a way to do that that is not germane to offering alternate edits of films you do not have distribution or creative rights to.

On the flip side, I have the "recasting ethic" argument in the back of my head -- the whole "it's okay if the company/person who made it no longer does and no one else has stepped in to fill the void" part. Still murky moral ground, and I'm not even going to discuss legality, but the vibe is the same: People want the original edits of the Original Trilogy, which were released in theaters, in high-quality home-viewing format (BluRay or 4K or better). Yes the Special Edition v2.1.1 is the official canon version of the story, but all the prior edits were at the time they were released, too, and one of them will always be someone's favorite version of the story, and they're not being made available. So the recaster justification rears its head around this macro-community. And it's hard not to jump at offerings like Harmy's or AdyWan's, because they tend to be better than the official offerings. Just like how people go with one of the fan propmakers over, say, Rubies.

--Jonah

44. Axlotl

Axlotl Master Member

I don't think this is a very good analogy.
    I'm pretty sure you could build a replica Mustang and no one at Ford would care.
    ...Unless you started manufacturing them and selling them, and then they might want a piece of the pie.

45. batguy

batguy Sr Member

Let's create an escrow account held by a 3rd party. Everyone in the civilized world sends it $39.95 or whatever for their copy of the OOT, and their names are all recorded. LFL gets the money when they deliver the product.

Let's create another escrow account. We all send it $11.95 again every 3rd year, ongoing. Sony only gets the money if they do not release another Spider-Man reboot.

46. The Terminator

The Terminator Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Another SW bluray thread, another copyright discussion :lol

In my experience anyone who ignores with you end up on your ignore list :facepalm

47. NeoRutty

NeoRutty Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Oh, but it is. It is SO superior. Why would consent or no consent have anything to do with the quality? And with the comping work, I doubt he's an amateur. Not sure why you're even throwing that around.

My GAWD is it superior. I loved it.

And I clicked on the this thread knowing this thread would just spiral into a piracy discussion, ha. I've bought most of the versions, and have Harmy's, and - if it was ever released online - I would check out Topher Grace's edit as well (as an editor, this REALLY interests me).

As for owning Harmy's version being ethical? Well if you start pulling on that thread, there's a whole hobby that becomes questionable as far as distributing unlicensed versions of properties.

What I'm saying is I think it's absolutely fine.

48. Brent M

Brent M Sr Member

Good points!

49. Laspector

Laspector Sr Member

How do you "prove" to Harmy that you own a copy already? Do you send him a picture of it playing on your tv? A selfie of you holding the dvd case? Surely not store receipts--has anyone ever kept a receipt for a dvd after they played it?

50. Axlotl

Axlotl Master Member

I don't remember exactly. I just remember he responded to my email and said he needed proof I owned the bluerays or he wouldn't send me a DVD.
    I didn't have the bluerays, so no Harmy's Despecialized for me :(