Star Wars Blu ray... we have to change our props !!!

Madrid Boba

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hello all,

Recently i bought the Star Wars Blue ray set. :)

Well, maybe you may think..."so?"

What is the important thing about it?, and ..what does it have to do with Star Wars props?

It is like giving new eyes to a blind person. :confused

I am able to see things that i never noticed before...

Lets take a look to one of the things that surprised me !! Yoda clothing has grey stripes on the arms !!!! I will have to change mine !!!! (maybe it came from a Poncho or similar)

(I had to take the pic from the TV, as I can not read Blu Ray in my PC)

yodad.jpg

It is amazing how many scratches, bumps, holes, white adhesive tape on the stormtroopers chest and arms (for the explosions)... plastic bubble wrap on the snowspeeder shoulder harnesses.... and so many other things that i cannot tell all..!!

Have you discover new things also? :confused

Should we make a list? :confused

Alfredo

In A New Hope, when they are trying to escape from the detention center, you can see Harrison Ford's make up rubbing off on his Stormtrooper armor chest/neck area.

I was rather surprised to see that for the battle on Hoth the costume designers put pieces of bubblewrap on the snowspeeders pilots seatbelts. Guerilla propmaking I guess. :D

Yes The_Blues !! But not only there.

if you look in ANH when they are in the trash compactor, one of the things that they try to use to stop the walls from crushing them, has the same kind of wrapping material, but with the big bubbles !!! lol

Bubble wrap is in SW and Trek.
Saw the bubbles back in the 80's.

The mic Han blasts in the detention center is a pencil holder (I used to have one)

Props back then were basic. I had a SW encyclopedoa thingy with lots of equipment pics in. They really did use anything they could find lying around. Today everything is custom made to order, laser cut etc. Time moved on, new processes became cheaper to use and more readily available etc.

BTW, The BR versions of SW look fantastic.

I fast forwarded through Star Wars yesterday and all the little things I had always seen such as wonky set builds, paint drips and duct tape were noticeable ten fold. What stuck out like a sore thumb on one troopers arm was a 2" strip of black duct tape. Out of all the changes and supposed "fixes" why R5 is still next to R2 after he blows up is still there? So are 3PO's blinking eyes in the sand crawler. And did the blue milk turn gray?

I find it strange that some of you with so many posts didn't know this .
The films were produced on shoe string budget , most of which went into camera and computer tech. for filming .

The props were built from an abundance of found parts most of which appear throught the movie .
Prop building back then was about disguising things with odd looking finds , parts that you'd over look , it's found object sculpture .

Anything can be made into a prop , some of the blasters in the prequels are made from pipe conectors and spray guns . With that then what do you thing the OT props were made from , i dout they had the time or tech. to sculpt and resin produce as they do nowadays.

Cocomando, dont buy into that.

The budget for SW was actually not a shoe string budget, it was ten million 1976 dollars. If memory serves the FX was one million in the hole with not much usable footage in the can. Im not 100% on that but I do recall something of that nature being penned.

There is no way SW as we know it could have been made on a shoe string budget. The cost of the sets and locations alone would halt the film if that were fact. The prequel trilogy was just terrible in its props. It was all bass akwards as were the films themselves but whats done is done. The OT was dirty, had ambiance and atmosphere, it had food in its yellow teeth. The PT was sterile, clean, cold, lacking... It was like making Indiana Jones go hunt for an alien ship or something.

Cocomando, dont buy into that.

There is no way SW as we know it could have been made on a shoe string budget. The cost of the sets and locations alone would halt the film if that were fact. The prequel trilogy was just terrible in its props. It was all bass akwards as were the films themselves but whats done is done. The OT was dirty, had ambiance and atmosphere, it had food in its yellow teeth. The PT was sterile, clean, cold, lacking... It was like making Indiana Jones go hunt for an alien ship or something.

don't get me wrong Rob , i'm a UKG ISS 501st member , the OT are my favourite film (i call it film because all 3 make the story ), i'll belive what you say , but the parts are still found objects , disguised .
Thats the way props should be , not all clay sculpts and resin casts , dont get me wrong , there is a place for that but not in SW

An 11 million budget dosen't stretch that far , once you calculte in the new camera tech . and the computer tech .

****** Harrison Ford was just supposed to help read scripts for casting , immerse your self the whole time and mive structure and you'll see

Last edited:
10 Million was a pretty hefty budget back in 1976. Nuff said.

yes but for unmade compuert technology and film camera tech. you gotta ask yoyrself , cos these moves spawned THX in sound ILM in filming effects , modles and film camera technology .

it cahanged cinema and filming , don't believe everything you think off as a child of the late 70's and early 80's , i can understand , just look at movies of the time to gain an understanding

I watched ANG and ESB with my son the other day for the first time on BR as well...

One thing that jumped out at me was not prop related, but that C3PO is taller than Luke!!? :lol

Just kinda made me chuckle

According to IMDB, both actors are the same height (175 cm), but Anthony Daniels is wearing a helmet.
According to Wookieepeedia, though, C-3PO is supposed to be an inch shorter than Luke...

Cocomando, im 40 years old and was at "that age" as a kid when SW came out. Ive always said they did it right with the first 3 movies but on bluray the horrible finishes, wonky sets and such stand out to near distraction for me. Its because ive seen the movies so many times over the years im looking for this stuff.
Whats sad is the prequels had some super talented people in every department but that was all dragged down with over use of digital sets, digital characters and just flat out horrid choices for both the story and key cast members. TPM is unwatchable, AOTC is about 15 minutes after fastforwarded and ROTS failed with the long awaiting saber duel due to the aforementioned over use of CGI.

Back on topic,
I just noticed a sort of captains bars on the snowtrooper's nose in the ATAT cockpit in ESB.

I'm shaking my head trying to figure out what in the hell Cocomando is on about. 11 mil was not a shoestring budget for the time. Hell, it's budget was larger than Jaws. A lot of the costumes from the movie were clay sculpts and castings. Your point is confusing at best.

I find it strange that some of you with so many posts didn't know this .
The films were produced on shoe string budget , most of which went into camera and computer tech. for filming .

The props were built from an abundance of found parts most of which appear throught the movie .
Prop building back then was about disguising things with odd looking finds , parts that you'd over look , it's found object sculpture .

Anything can be made into a prop , some of the blasters in the prequels are made from pipe conectors and spray guns . With that then what do you thing the OT props were made from , i dout they had the time or tech. to sculpt and resin produce as they do nowadays.

"the jabba the hut prop cost over 1million usd to produce" -return to jedi the complete documentary....

watch that on youtube it shall open your eyes.

I can chime in on the budget thing - And yes, Its not like Ep 4 and 5 were "low budget".. But they were epic scale films on a semi tight budget, and a lot of that money went into R & D to literally invent camera rigs, etc - To use in the filming - .... Take AVATAR - IOt had a 300 Million dollar budget, but what if, when they started shooting, they had to invent computers with stong processors, graphics cards, 3D software, and motion capture? The film wouldnt hjave been half as impressive if 60% of the budget went into developing the technology to make the film itself possible.

Also, ESB didnt have a huge budget just because Star Wars did well - When they made ESB the mentality was "Star Wars did well, but could have been lightning striking once.." They had no clue if ESB would be a success or not...

When I worked at ILM my dept had a few guys in it from Star Wars / Empire / Jedi days so I heard a lot of stories about budgets, etc -

In a lot of ways I think the lower budget for Star Wars helps it a lot, because like George said "Its a lived in universe" - So things looked weathered -

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back