Star Wars Behind the scenes - Lightsabers

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by dday, May 4, 2015.

1. dday

dday Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I'm sure a lot have seen this but It's a great short and there are some great behind the scenes shots of the sabers and the stunt blades.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
    thd9791, Sym-Cha, cavx and 1 other person like this.
  2. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

Just think about it for a minute ... how much work, sweat and tears went into creating those lightsabers to be so believable on the silver screen ... yet many take it for granted that they 'only' look so 'cool' :)

Chaim

mvanwalks421 and RooBee like this.
  3. dday

dday Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Agreed, layer upon layer of work went into them and back in the day it was truly magic the way they looked, sounded and interacted.

Sym-Cha likes this.
  4. mvanwalks421

mvanwalks421 Active Member

I still think that the random and energetic lightsabers of the OT (the very original effects, not the special editions) stand the test of time and look much better than the "perfect," unchanging, and repeating pulsating effects of the Prequel Trilogy sabers (mostly just 2 and 3, the lightsabers in 1 looked good). I think JJ has caught onto this as well, at least with Kylo's crossguard saber.

Sym-Cha likes this.
  5. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

I've seen an optical printer up close and at work back in 1991 ... since then I've appreciated what those guys did back then even more ... having done test after test ... the amount of commitment and patience to wait for the labs to process and return the rushes before continuing the magic on those machines ... now it all seems so 'simple' on a PC in After Effects :wacko

Chaim

6. zsherman

zsherman Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Jesus. That 9 years of my life in 10 minutes...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk