Star Wars Behind the scenes - Lightsabers

Sym-Cha

Master Member
Just think about it for a minute ... how much work, sweat and tears went into creating those lightsabers to be so believable on the silver screen ... yet many take it for granted that they 'only' look so 'cool' :)

Chaim

dday

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Just think about it for a minute ... how much work, sweat and tears went into creating those lightsabers to be so believable on the silver screen ... yet many take it for granted that they 'only' look so 'cool' :)

Chaim
Agreed, layer upon layer of work went into them and back in the day it was truly magic the way they looked, sounded and interacted.

mvanwalks421

I still think that the random and energetic lightsabers of the OT (the very original effects, not the special editions) stand the test of time and look much better than the "perfect," unchanging, and repeating pulsating effects of the Prequel Trilogy sabers (mostly just 2 and 3, the lightsabers in 1 looked good). I think JJ has caught onto this as well, at least with Kylo's crossguard saber.

Sym-Cha

Master Member
I've seen an optical printer up close and at work back in 1991 ... since then I've appreciated what those guys did back then even more ... having done test after test ... the amount of commitment and patience to wait for the labs to process and return the rushes before continuing the magic on those machines ... now it all seems so 'simple' on a PC in After Effects :wacko

Chaim

zsherman

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Jesus. That 9 years of my life in 10 minutes...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk