Star Wars: 2022 High Republic Era

well you need to make double sure you have diversity and representation when your writing a story that takes place in galaxy full of trillions of life forms spread across millions? of planets. Just in case you got confused and thought you were writing a story about earth in the 1960's.

diversity, diversity, university, representation, Dinosaurs, diversity. Cool man soooo....is there going to be any diversity?

anyone remember that old classic "developers, developers, developers, developers" That's how I imagine this writers meeting.

Welcome to group think... art by committee, not visionaries.
Exactly. I'd rather have one person with a solid vision in control than 20 people who vote on every decision. Too many cooks in the kitchen.

Besides, art shouldn't be a checklist.

I mean kinda see their point......
diversity.jpg

A film is a collaborative process, I get that. But a book shouldn’t have more than one person working on it.
This isn't just one book. There are several different ones, from novels, comics, YA books, a manga published by VIZ, then the upcoming D+series The ACOLYTE, all taking place as part of this story, except the show, which is about 50 years later, but during the same era.

I thought the chart, instead of a checklist, was more of a way to keep up with all the moving parts of the story.

As I said before, I've thoroughly enjoyed what I've read of what's been released, but I'm not like the member here that's trying to convince everyone they're wrong. I know there's some that weren't even aware of this project, so I'm just sharing some info. Not trying to defend or convince.

I keep coming back to see if there's any discussion from those who are reading them. Not trying to troll.

This isn't just one book. There are several different ones, from novels, comics, YA books, a manga published by VIZ, then the upcoming D+series The ACOLYTE, all taking place as part of this story, except the show, which is about 50 years later, but during the same era.

I thought the chart, instead of a checklist, was more of a way to keep up with all the moving parts of the story.

As I said before, I've thoroughly enjoyed what I've read of what's been released, but I'm not like the member here that's trying to convince everyone they're wrong. I know there's some that weren't even aware of this project, so I'm just sharing some info. Not trying to defend or convince.

I keep coming back to see if there's any discussion from those who are reading them. Not trying to troll.
Totally fair

The one thing I didn't see on those lists, at least from what I recall, is themes.

That's writing 101. Without a theme in general fiction you're basically writing filler, which is what almost everything on those lists was, just surface details. The most effective writing, fiction or not, has a focused theme or purpose.

So much of fiction or film lacks it that it's no wonder most of it is forgettable garbage in flashy packaging, meant for blind consumption and containing no real substance. I'm speaking generally here because I haven't read these books so I can't comment on them directly other than the video I mentioned before. Though I will say that if you have such a broad approach to discussing fiction by saying things like who cares? It's all fake anyway, then it's difficult to engage with that mentality and critical thought is once again dismissed. At the least breaking down in detail what works and what doesn't livens the conversation to more than mere generalities.

Last edited:
I’m a dozen or so pages into Light of the Jedi and so far it’s upholding the classic EU tendency to write things in a more clearly sci-fi manner. It feels very Star Trek or Expanse-like than most things we ever see in the movies. This isn’t really a complaint, I think I secretly appreciate those interpretations more than the movie stuff, it comes across as a more nuts and bolts/human focused universe. I’m sure the plot will end up being some galaxy-wide stakes that feels more classically SW though, especially with Jedi involved.

I would not mind a Star Wars with a steampunk feel.
I think some kind of junk/scrapper world or city could do something to that effect. I’m sure it would be a little difficult without a visual medium though because so much of Steampunk is aesthetic. Maybe a geothermal steam powered outpost in the outer rim.

I would not mind a Star Wars with a steampunk feel.
I think some kind of junk/scrapper world or city could do something to that effect. I’m sure it would be a little difficult without a visual medium though because so much of Steampunk is aesthetic. Maybe a geothermal steam powered outpost in the outer rim.
That would be INCREDIBLE, but I fear that the lack of established technology that would make steampunk necessary/possible would immediately pull one out of the SW mindset.

I think the closest things in the established universe would be the proto-sabers used by the first Jedi back in the old Dark Horse comics. They were corded & powered by a pack worn on the wielders back.

That said, I'd still give anyone who wanted to meld those universes a lot of leeway in their creativity. If you get a chance, Google some of the custom figures & sabers that folks have done over the years. Amazing visuals.

I definitely get where you're coming from, Star Wars is a very weird universe to attempt to nail down as far as technology goes. I think as long as our viewpoint character is either shocked or inversely acts like nothing is out of the ordinary then we'll buy it. We all accepted that there's a 50s diner on Coruscant because Obi-Wan acts like it's no big deal. My bigger question is how to make the ethos of Steampunk work thematically, since it seems to be a lot about class struggles as well as the spirit of exploration. It would probably quickly turn into a haves/have nots story where an outlying scrapper town is preyed upon by a more well equipped technological force in a neighboring city.

I’ve stalled on reading it because I’m not loving the portrayal of the Jedi and the Force. The battle meditation style mental networking and lightsaber space ship keys aren’t really doing it for me. I get tired of the Jedi being too holy or super powered, it leaves me disinterested when a characters whole personality is that they’re a Force user. I miss the EU days of workaday people finding out they’re emergent Force sensitives and the exploration of how it affects them.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back