Star Wars: 2022 High Republic Era

Jaitea

Master Member
Reports are the next films will be set 400 years before TPM

Yoda will be in them,....a good bit younger

J

1578303522248.png

On the one hand, I'm not surprised, and these could still turn out to be good.

On the other hand, I'm really, really, really ready to move beyond the Sith vs. Jedi timeline. Enough. Let's see what happens next.

You mean Sith vs. Jedi stories since the Sith and the Jedi were a part of the Star Wars universe timeline for centuries, if not millennia.

Anyway, while I agree, to a point, I do feel that this time period has some potential. To date, we've never seen the Republic during its heyday depicted on screen. I just hope that they don't get lazy and make everything look something from eps. 1 - 9 like they did in the Old Republic MMORPG. I don't want to see more proto-Star Destroyers nor proto-Clone/Stormtroopers. They need to get away from that aesthetic and give us something new but still recognizable as Star Wars.

You mean Sith vs. Jedi stories since the Sith and the Jedi were a part of the Star Wars universe timeline for centuries, if not millennia.

Anyway, while I agree, to a point, I do feel that this time period has some potential. To date, we've never seen the Republic during its heyday depicted on screen. I just hope that they don't get lazy and make everything look something from eps. 1 - 9 like they did in the Old Republic MMORPG. I don't want to see more proto-Star Destroyers nor proto-Clone/Stormtroopers. They need to get away from that aesthetic and give us something new but still recognizable as Star Wars.

That's what I'm saying. It's time to expand Star Wars beyond the OT and it's immediate echoes. Star Wars is and should be bigger than that. The KOTOR comic series from Dark Horse did a good job of this (although the art style is pretty dated now). I think it can be done. But the Old Republic MMO really does look like "proto everything" which strikes me as deeply lazy and uninspired.

I'm glad they haven't gone too far back,....400 years sounds interesting,....Coruscant could perhaps have gaps of greenery,...perhaps lakes etc,....but yes I hope there are no gleaming new X-Wings, R2 units etc,....a fresh start with new designs, no fan service, startle us with originality

J

Coruscant has supposedly been that way for 10,000 years or so. I just want a good story without them trying to inject PC crap. For some reason Hollywood thinks that's more important than a good story now. I mean it's SW so it should be hard to screw up, but they're trying their damnedest!

Coruscant has supposedly been that way for 10,000 years or so. I just want a good story without them trying to inject PC crap. For some reason Hollywood thinks that's more important than a good story now. I mean it's SW so it should be hard to screw up, but they're trying their damnedest!

Does anyone say PC anymore? Seriously dude, contemporary sensibilities don't ruin movies, bad writing and acting ruin movies.

The problem with Disney is they want to make Star Wars a movie everyone can watch and enjoy. And you just can't make a movie like that out of Star Wars. Either you make it for fans, and make it well, or don't make a Star Wars movie. There's enough of us out there to support it. And it will appeal to people who will be like us and who don't know it yet, when they see them for the first time.

In other words, Star Wars isn't for everyone, and this has to be admitted and accepted before moving forward.

That's what I'm saying. It's time to expand Star Wars beyond the OT and it's immediate echoes. Star Wars is and should be bigger than that. The KOTOR comic series from Dark Horse did a good job of this (although the art style is pretty dated now). I think it can be done. But the Old Republic MMO really does look like "proto everything" which strikes me as deeply lazy and uninspired.

for the sake of argument, how do you show the difference? They've had hyperdrives for centuries if no millenia there, blasters, lightsabers, etc. How much can style change over a few hundred years if there's not a lot of change in tech?

The OT was using switches and levers, and people flipped out that the PT used detailed screens and ostensibly touch control. You're not going back any further than switches or levers. It just leaves you with style which is subjective. The good guys will have capital ships and the bad guys will have capital ships. And fighters, and bombers, and speeders, etc.

I get what your saying, but it's really only a style difference. I'm not sure what they can 'age'.

Just to clarify... The Jedi Knights were "the guardians of peace and justice" for the Old Republic for "over a thousand generations". Assuming Obi-Wan meant human generations, and assuming the contemporary average of ~20 years per, that means the Republic and Jedi were around for at least 20,000 years prior to the setting of the films. For there to be a galactic Republic means interstellar spaceflight, even if rudimentary. Over such a timescale, just about everything will have been developed. What is used on one planet or another, by one species or another, by one company or another, in one era or another, will come down to personal preference or contemporary æsthetic more than anything. Switches and touchscreens can co-exist in a universe where antigrave tech is so inexpressibly reliable that Luke's junker landspeeder on a backwater subsistence planet covered with sand (which gets everywhere) has no landing gear of any kind.

Let me re-state that. In Star Wars, antigrav is more reliable than the wheel.

Unless you go back to a time before the Jedi, there's no way to uncouple any of the intervening time from their presence completely, but it can be done. Not, I'd say, in anything that deals in any way with galactic politics, though, because see previous close relationship. And four thousand years before the films, the Jedi were responsible for the Dark Lords of the Sith and the rise of the first Sith Empire. So everything between there and the films is even more Jedi/Sith heavy, what with the multiple wars directly involving them.

Frankly, one of the things I liked most about Star Wars Galaxies (and whay I was so pissed when the Combat "Upgrade" screwed it up by, among other things, letting people play Jedi and have lightsabers) was that it was all about people trying to make their way in the world while the war was going on around them. You could try to stay out of it, throw in with one side or another, stay on the fringes and make a living simply working for one side or the other... There are lots of stories to be told in there. But the existence of the Jedi will be a factor, even if they're not in the middle of the story.

for the sake of argument, how do you show the difference? They've had hyperdrives for centuries if no millenia there, blasters, lightsabers, etc. How much can style change over a few hundred years if there's not a lot of change in tech?

I think the way to do it is to make visual and sonic distinctions. This can be done in a variety of ways. Ship designs, for example, can appear different. Maybe they're blockier or larger. Maybe they draw some of their lines from, say, wooden ships or WWII era fighters. To be clear, I'm not suggesting just adding greeblies to a P-51D. I'm saying you take design cues from the design of vehicles from that era, and incorporate them to some degree into your existing designs. Remember how General Grievous' personal ship looked kinda like a space 1950s hotrod? That's one example. I'm not saying it's a design I necessarily like, but it can be done. You could make things look bigger or more rickety. The sounds could be tweaked so that they don't sound exactly like the X-wings or TIEs of the OT, and instead have new sounds to them.

The same could be done with firearms. I mean, there's a ton of WWII era firearms that could be used as inspiration for new Star Wars guns. The FG-42, the Johnson LMG, the Bren LMG, the Boys AT rifle, "sportsterized" or "tacticool" K98s, etc., etc., etc. And that's just WWII. There's other weapons from the 1930s through 1950s you could use. These would have the "familiar" look , but would also be different designs.

Clothing design is another big area that could be mined. Different outfits, different sensibilities, etc.

The OT was using switches and levers, and people flipped out that the PT used detailed screens and ostensibly touch control. You're not going back any further than switches or levers. It just leaves you with style which is subjective. The good guys will have capital ships and the bad guys will have capital ships. And fighters, and bombers, and speeders, etc.

I get what your saying, but it's really only a style difference. I'm not sure what they can 'age'.

I'm not saying you go before switches and levers (what would that be, anyway? Pulleys? Block and tackle?), but rather that your interior design is visually distinct.

I think you need to do two things in working with such designs. First, you need to have a sort of understanding of the culture and what inspires their designs. Not simply in terms of functionality, but in terms of taste. Then you need to orient all your design around those attitudes. The goal shouldn't be "Make it look more modern" vs. "Make it look more old school." That's too self-referential, and it'll end up feeling fake. It's the reason why Star Wars didn't look fake. Their goal wasn't "Make it look futuristic." It was "make it look lived in and authentic to this universe." That should be the same design goal here. It should be "Make it look like what this culture would actually produce."

Does anyone say PC anymore? Seriously dude, contemporary sensibilities don't ruin movies, bad writing and acting ruin movies.

The problem with Disney is they want to make Star Wars a movie everyone can watch and enjoy. And you just can't make a movie like that out of Star Wars. Either you make it for fans, and make it well, or don't make a Star Wars movie. There's enough of us out there to support it. And it will appeal to people who will be like us and who don't know it yet, when they see them for the first time.

In other words, Star Wars isn't for everyone, and this has to be admitted and accepted before moving forward.
200.gif

I'd argue that $927.5 million for RoS alone says otherwise. Seems to me that a whole lot of people, other than just hard core fans, are enjoying the ST or at least RoS.

Making a movie franchise that appeals only, or primarily, at the hard core fans isn't one for success. What you want is something that's enjoyable by both the die hard fans as well as general audiences. Doing anything otherwise means you lose money at the box office and at the end of the day, Disney, or even Lucas when he still owned the franchise, isn't making these movies just for the sake of the fans, they're making them to make money. So if appealing to a broader audience whose knowledge of Star Wars comes solely from the movies makes them the most money, guess which approach they're going to take?

I love a good road trip! Where are we going?

Some ground rules though. No pickup park rest stops. No greasy KFC in the car no matter how much I want it. Beers and weed only when done driving and no one drives hung over. And I swear to me, if anyone throws up in the car, they're on a dirty greyhound home!

Idk but it’s only a matter of time before this thread turns into a complaining episode 8 thread like all the others

Oh wait!! What have I done!!

:p

Sorry, but I'm old enough to remember when Star Wars came out and when it was for everyone. (Well, everyone except for Freddie Mercury because Jaws was never his scene, and... um, you know the rest.)

Ha,...I didn't want to say that because I've said it a few times on this website,....

Not a lot of people believe that there was a VERY successful film released back in 1977,....which broke box office records mainly because it put bums on seats,.....it wasn't nerdy sci-fi,....all ages loved it, & it HAD to be seen,...many times

The closest thing now to the appeal it had is probably the Marvel films,...take a look around in the cinema,....young, old, male & female (etc)

That is what Disney wanted to do,....TFA was very successful,.....but ultimately they lost track of what they were trying to sell

I'm hopeful with this new High Republic era, they can give us all something fresh & compelling that will bring back that magic

J

Last edited:
Sorry, but I'm old enough to remember when Star Wars came out and when it was for everyone. (Well, everyone except for Freddie Mercury because Jaws was never his scene, and... um, you know the rest.)
No it wasn’t for everyone. It played to specific demographic that just didn’t know what they were until they saw this.
And no. Not everyone loved it either. But people who would also see this were also limited in what was available to see at the time.
You’re old enough to remember that we didn’t have 10 movies a month in megaplexes.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back