Star Trek's Captain Kirk - William Shatner - 1/2 scale bust model

nOBODY SWEET

I figure this is the best place to post this since in a way it's a custom model of a person.

"CAPTAIN KIRK bust"--Made out of Polymere clay with wire and wood support--1/2 scale--date completed 8/2011

Check out the video for lots of pictures or the project from start to finish
Captain Kirk Bust Sculpture Starring William Shatner (JiM SWEET) - YouTube

kirksculptfinished201150.jpg

So the sculpting part is done on this project. I know it's not perfect and I see my mistakes now that it's finished. Those mistakes would have been fixed if I caught them sooner. Maybe next time I sculpt him I'll keep those mistakes in mind and correct them on the next one. Now it just needs some paint sometime.

To see more of all my stuff, please visit JiM SWEET ART my main page @
http://facebook.com/JiM.SWEET.ART

Last edited by a moderator:
That is really remarkable. The likeness is perfect, and I love how you did the sides of the bust.

Also, bonus points for using the "Risk is our business" speech in the video. One of his best IMO.

I've been a motion picture studio sculpture and model maker for over 30 years and I think you did a fantastic job! Excellent! I think Bill would love it. Make sure he sees it.

Steve

WOW THATS BEAUTIFUL!!!!!
(Kinda spooky how it looks like Michael Myers in some of the videos early shots)
Great job!!!!

Last edited:
Excellent job! That looks so much like Kirk down to the quiet, dignified expression.
I also love the side details you included, it definitely adds to the display aspect of the bust.

I'm far from being an expert on anything, but I am a Star Trek fan. And I can safely say, having seen numerous bad sculpts of William Shatner as Captain Kirk, that your sculpt is among the best of the best I've seen...maybe even the best. The expression on his face is absolutely perfect, right down to the slightest hint of a smile at the corners of his mouth when the light hits it just right; you've really captured that "relaxed intensity combined with the joy of being a starship Captain" that Shatner often displayed on the original series. Truly brilliant!

Excellent work :thumbsup It really looks like Shatner. These sculpts sometimes look creepy if they're too lifelike, but this avoids that somehow, it just looks great!

That is really remarkable. The likeness is perfect, and I love how you did the sides of the bust.

Also, bonus points for using the "Risk is our business" speech in the video. One of his best IMO.

Thanks, I know where I made some mistakes. I won't tell anyone what they are though. haha. Thanks about the sides. I was actually thinking of doing more with the sides, but it would be better if I used wax for the idea I had. I was thinking of doing a relief type scene from the show and the side that has the ship was going to be more of a detailed ¾ view of the ship but the clay isn’t the best for that type of work. Plus it would have taken me even longer to finish. That’s a good speech too. The dialog I like the best though from Kirk is the whole part in This side of Paradise where he tried to make Spock mad to snap him out of his spores haze. “You're an overgrown jackrabbit. An elf with a hyperactive thyroid.” That whole thing.

Some people really are insanely skilled. Brilliant!

I feel weird saying thanks to this comment because I would be assuming I am the insanely skilled person. You could be talking about someone else. Haha. If you mean though I humbly accept your compliment and thank you for it.

I've been a motion picture studio sculpture and model maker for over 30 years and I think you did a fantastic job! Excellent! I think Bill would love it. Make sure he sees it.

Steve

Thanks Steve. I saw your site. Cool to know you worked on all that stuff, must feel great to be part of movie culture. Your work is really excellent. Myself, I work at UPS loading trucks part time. I try to use the other time to make things I like. I thought a long time ago I wanted to work on movies and in a way I still do. Pretty much most every idea I have I think about it being in a movie somehow. I guess I still want to work on movies. I always wanted to create movie monsters mostly. That’s my problem though, I just want to create and I don’t seem to be really good at working on making a living doing creative things.
I tried to show William Shatner on a few sites, but I don’t know if he’s seen it. I know George Takei said he didn’t like the bust haha just kidding.

Steve

Thanks Steve. I saw your site. Cool to know you worked on all that stuff, must feel great to be part of movie culture or history. Your work is really excellent. Myself, I work at UPS loading trucks part time. I try to use the other time to make things I like. I thought a long time ago I wanted to work on movies and in a way I still do. Pretty much most every idea I have I think about it being in a movie somehow. I guess I still want to work on movies. I always wanted to create movie monsters mostly. That’s my problem though, I just want to create and I don’t seem to be really good at working on making a living doing creative things.
I tried to show William Shatner on a few sites, but I don’t know if he’s seen it. I know George Takei said he didn’t like the bust haha just kidding. Thanks again for the comment.

Excellent job! That looks so much like Kirk down to the quiet, dignified expression.
I also love the side details you included, it definitely adds to the display aspect of the bust.

Thanks very much. I'd actually like to do other expressions too, but who knows when I'll get to that. I figure the sides have so much space, mine as well put something there.

I'm far from being an expert on anything, but I am a Star Trek fan. And I can safely say, having seen numerous bad sculpts of William Shatner as Captain Kirk, that your sculpt is among the best of the best I've seen...maybe even the best. The expression on his face is absolutely perfect, right down to the slightest hint of a smile at the corners of his mouth when the light hits it just right; you've really captured that "relaxed intensity combined with the joy of being a starship Captain" that Shatner often displayed on the original series. Truly brilliant!

Thanks a lot for the great compliment. Really makes me feel good, because I was really having a hard time finishing it. I just kept looking at it and tweeky here and there. I did find this Kirk figure just a little while ago which is really good. I don't know if the link will work for you though.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...95145362.72784.100000438716413&type=1&theater

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back