Star Trek XII. And the new villian possibly is..........

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Movie Talk' started by Polsnulspace, Nov 5, 2011.

1. Polsnulspace

Polsnulspace Sr Member

Benicio Del Toro...........

[​IMG]

Interested to who he will play if he does get involved. I know the obvious call is Khan and to be honest, I could see him easily pull it off.

The question is though......can Chris Pine scream Khaaaaaan like The Shat can?

2. clancampbell

clancampbell Sr Member

I quite like del Toro...he always strikes me as a bit....unhinged.

I just hope they do something new....not Khan, not ANYTHING that's gone before.....(having said that, i'd love to see an alternate universe Reliant!)

Rich

3. Jannix Quinn

Jannix Quinn Sr Member

How can they do Khan if he and Kirk don't have a history?

4. yodakiller1138

yodakiller1138 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Del Toro is far from a genetic superman.
    So hopefully he's not playing Kahn.

5. Polsnulspace

Polsnulspace Sr Member

I honestly don't think it will be Khan anyway though I'd happily welcome it if indeed it was.....however they went about it. I'm a big ST fan from TOS through to VOY (and I kinda liked ST ENT) but I'm really diggin this rebooted Star Trek. I say give us Khan....somehow! It'll be fun!

6. cayman shen

cayman shen Master Member

I'm just excited they're making this movie. I need my ST fix, stat!

7. SSgt Burton

SSgt Burton Sr Member

They did it in "Space Seed."

However I find Del Toro too old to be playing a "young" Khan.

So much for "do we go with a villain, or mysterious cosmic occurance plot this time." :rolleyes

I hope there's lots of lens flare and explosions.

Kevin

8. clancampbell

clancampbell Sr Member

I'm with you on that, John!

Rich

9. Solo4114

Solo4114 Master Member

Seriously, why would people want Khan back? Why not try something new instead? Something different? Something that hasn't been done and, likely, done better?

Think bigger, folks.

10. JiminSTLouis

JiminSTLouis Sr Member

I just did some checking on IMBD. Toro is 44 yrs old now. Montalban was 47 when Space Seed first aired (wow he was in great shape). So he is actually younger than the original Kahn.

Also, I hope they don't do a Kahn movie. There has to be new ST stories out there to tell. What's the source of this rumor?

Last edited: Nov 5, 2011
  11. Goodwolf

Goodwolf Sr Member

It's possible you haven't been keeping track of Hollywood's recent track record...

12. 0neiros

0neiros Master Member

You people don't seem to get it, this is an Alt. universe (as a Fringe fan I'm totally loving it), It can be Khan, but forget EVERYTHING you know about the character. They can totally redo his story and really make it badass.

I wants me some Alt. Klingons in it though, I noticed that the D-7s while similar were different enough to make me want a lot closer look.

13. Solo4114

Solo4114 Master Member

Then why call him Khan? Why have him have ANYTHING to do with Khan? If you're going to TOTALLY REWRITE THE BACKSTORY! of the character, then why not just...make a new character? Let's say his name is Augustus Reese. He's an ex Starfleet captain who broke the prime directive and set himself up as an emperor in this system, using Starfleet technology, because he believes that conquest is the natural state for humanity. Now you have a thematic struggle between conquest and exploration. There. That took me 30 seconds to come up with. And maybe it isn't worth a crap, but it's better than just microwaved leftovers.

14. DuneMuadDib

DuneMuadDib Sr Member

Except all of Khan's history up until meeting Kirk would be intact. The Eugenics Wars were in the 1990s, which was untouched by the time travel elements of Spock and Nero. He'd still be the same Kahn unless he was woken up prior to meeting Kirk in this timeline.

15. SciFiMustDie

SciFiMustDie New Member

Since this new ST is in an Alt Timeline. I would've loved to see the Klingons discovering Botony Bay and enslaving the inhabitants. Finding Khan worthy, and giving him his own cruiser and crew.

16. Jedi2016

Jedi2016 Sr Member

I see no reason to believe they're doing anything related to Khan, but having Del Toro is an interesting choice, and I can't wait to see what they do with him. He's a more subtle actor, I think, suitable for a character who's more of a intellectual adversary than a physical one. Nero was much more of a physical presence, Khan was a bit of both. I think the intellectual adversary is much more interesting.

17. SmilingOtter

SmilingOtter Master Member

My plot: Spock Prime hasn't taken the destruction of Vulcan well, but unlike Nero, wants to improve the situation. Obtaining a ship and crew he starts removing all the threats to the Federation that they would end up having to face: Khan. The giant space amoeba. The Doomsday Machine. Nomad. He could also give Starfleet's R&D a wealth of knowledge (which could explain how he managed to get a ship powerful enough to take care of things.)

After all, this isn't his universe.

At some point, it becomes clear that he's going too far, that the Federation needs to deal with its own problems, and so they send Kirk and co. to reel Spock in.

18. robn1

robn1 Master Member

If that undoes all the mess and gets us back to the prime universe, then I'm for it.

19. Angelus Lupus

Angelus Lupus Sr Member

Trek 12 plot: Spock (Nimoy) wakes up and Trek 11 was all a bad dream.

20. Alan Castillo

Alan Castillo Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

They just CANNOT continue with the story that Vulcan is destroyed !!

... or can they :confused

I for one want to see that point 'cleared up' in the next movie, asap. It all just seems so 'wrong' as things are now.

21. JBReplicas

JBReplicas Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I dont think they will simply undo one of the major plot points from the last film, I like Del Toro, he would be a great Klingon...

22. Alan Castillo

Alan Castillo Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

You're probably right. But I don't look forward to another half a dozen films in an alternate reality :(

23. GeneralFROSTY

GeneralFROSTY Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I could see "Space Seed" being written as a feature length script, only incorperating a backstory featuring Kahn's origins with the Eugenics war (which is how I would see the movie opening) and then fast forward to the future and pick up with Kirk and crew discovering the long-lost Botany Bay.

24. Jeyl

Jeyl Master Member

Same way they did Space Seed. Make a story where the two don't have any history.

25. MooCriket

MooCriket Master Member

He has got to be able to pull off a better villain than Bana.

26. SmilingOtter

SmilingOtter Master Member

I think it's brave to do something that big.

That said, it's a shame they can't go back in time to fix something like that. Unless they, you know, go back in time to fix it, as has been done so many times before.

That's why I hate time travel in Star Trek. Once you open that door, there's nothing you can't "fix" if you choose to.

27. nickytea

nickytea Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

You guys are not going to like who he is playing:

[​IMG]

28. Larry Young

Larry Young Master Member

You've seen "Whom Gods Destroy"? "The Omega Glory"? "Patterns of Force"? Smells like microwaved leftovers... from 1968! :lol

29. micdavis

micdavis Master Member

I can see Pitt as Trelane.

...or maybe Ben Affleck.

30. Jeyl

Jeyl Master Member

Something big like that? How many times did Vulcan, Spock's mother and Sarek even show up in the original Star Trek series? Once. They didn't do something big, they just filled their quota with a different ending.

If you want something done in Star Trek that equals big, destroy the Earth. That overrated planet never appeared in a TOS episode unless it was a duplicate, involved time travel or was an illusion. I would argue that destroying Earth might make this Trek universe more interesting since saving the Earth was the storyline for 5 of the 11 movies in the Star Trek movies. Star Trek doesn't really paint itself as a big galaxy bursting with life more intelligent than humans when you treat Earth as the end all be all of Star Trek's existence. That notion really sucks. The Federation is supposed to be "The United Federation of Planets" yet they always put their big guns on one planet that's always been the focus of attacks with no back up plan.

And I'm sorry if I use this statistic a lot, but how many planet Vulcans are there in other science fiction stories? I can imagine not many, especially if they have the same Vulcan species from Star Trek. Now, how many Earths are there in science fiction by comparison? That's how I see it anyway. I'm sure future writers of this take on Star Trek will be very thankful that Bob and Alex kept Earth in one piece so that they can fall back on the "Earth is in danger!" bandwagon again when they want a quick, unoriginal idea.

Sometimes I wish this franchise was like Star Wars, because that franchise doesn't even have an Earth to worship and self indulge in.

[/quote=SmilingOtter] That said, it's a shame they can't go back in time to fix something like that. Unless they, you know, go back in time to fix it, as has been done so many times before.[/QUOTE]

It's not the fact that they can't fix this that bothers me, it's the fact that they don't seem that bothered by it at all. Star Trek IV, Spock suggests traveling back in time to save the Earth. This Star Trek? Nothing. Heck, if Prime Spock were any happier in that scene with NuSpock, he'd be signing off in song.

In regard to Del Toro? I like him a lot, but I'm more worried about him playing a villain who has yet another stupid hatred towards Earth.

31. robn1

robn1 Master Member

Anyone would be better.

"Hello Christopher. Um, I'm Nero, and I'm the bad guy, and stuff". Lamest movie villain ever.

32. Mola Rob

Mola Rob Sr Member

I find Del Toro a great cure for insomnia so finding him on a sleeper ship would be appropriate.

33. Jannix Quinn

Jannix Quinn Sr Member

Perhaps Kruge? The new one was rumoured to have Klingons.

34. SSgt Burton

SSgt Burton Sr Member

Where's Nwerke when we need him most? ;)

Kevin

35. 0neiros

0neiros Master Member

Nice plot, kind of a microwaved left over mix of "The Omega Glory" and "Patterns of Force" with a smidge of "Bread and Circuses."

Heh posted this before I saw Larry's post...great minds. Time to scrape this batch of leftovers in the trash.

Larry Young likes this.
  36. Larry Young

* "Bread and Circuses" was the other one I couldn't think of, and I have no excuse because my old drinking buddy Mark says "You have been too long absent from the games, Flavius" whenever we get to see each other, now. :lol

37. protokev DMD

protokev DMD Sr Member

Come on, obviously it will involve space zombies! And thus an origin story to the Borg..someohow

38. KnightAsylum

KnightAsylum Sr Member

I really don't like ol' mumbler, - wish they had a different actor for the villian. :thumbsdown but even with him in it I really liked the last one so I will give it a shot.

39. DARTH SABER

DARTH SABER Master Member

I thought the film makers said awhile back that Khan was not going to be in the new film?
    Instead they said that it was going to be one of these - Mudd, Mitchell, Trelane, Talosian, or Horta

40. terryr

terryr Sr Member

Maybe he'll do his accent from The Usual Suspects.

Or the face makeup of JackieBoy from Sin City.

He can bring a memorable performance if he's allowed.

41. Mola Rob

Mola Rob Sr Member

Del Toro would make an excellent Horta. :lol

42. KenKenobi2

KenKenobi2 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I could see a Madman Trelaine type character, dark, even more unhinged, darkly comic at times but able to bring the threat.

That said, I am sorry, but Trelaine is a TV only character to me. He is not,even rebooted, strong enough to carry 100 million dollar budgets to the stars, IMO.

Now Del Toro as a bloodthirsty Klingon with designs on some evil thing, maybe.

I think a real problem exists now for the writers because how do you top Red Matter, a do all device, and destruction of a Key story element (Vulcans and Romulans) and still have magnitude. What makes introducing new elements easier on TV is the regularity of exposure to the key personalities and character devices. Lose that and do a movie every 3 years you could change the names of the principal characters and call it WarpStar and have a movie. Familiarity with a little newness works on that time interval, again IMO.

43. Solo4114

Solo4114 Master Member

Nope, haven't seen those, or if I did, don't remember 'em. I'm not enough of a Trek fan to have watched all the various episodes multiple times. I honestly just came up with it, sitting at the computer in the office. I mean, maybe I saw one of those ages ago, but I honestly don't remember it. It's a fairly obvious story, though, isn't it? (not necessarily in a good way, mind you -- more in a "Well duh, someone's gonna think of that eventually" way) The villain who ends up being the sort of polar opposite of a hero. A "What if our hero had taken a different path?" approach. I'm not saying my idea is perfect, or even that it's what I want to see. I'm just saying you don't need to go back to Khan just because Trek II was and remains popular. (Speaking of "blatantly obvious...") There are plenty of other interesting stories to tell.

Really, what ticks me off about the notion of using Khan again is the same thing that ticks me off about remakes and branded properties in general. I get a little tired of the crass manipulation of the public using these techniques. Doubly so because it seems to work so well.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2011
  44. Larry Young

They're not using Khan any more than we'll see the same amount of lens flares.

45. PotionMistress

PotionMistress Sr Member

I think DelToro will be cast as a Romulan. Now that Vulcan is destroyed, the Romulans may see a new opportunity to gain more power against the Federation. The possibilities are endless in that regard.

46. robn1

robn1 Master Member

That would make three movies in a row with Romulans, how about something different?

47. PotionMistress

PotionMistress Sr Member

Yes, but we still know surprisingly little about the Romulan culture. Personally, I'd love to see more Klingon action, something more in-depth about their world other than the warrior stuff. Something more about Andorians would also be neat.

I suppose if you bring in something completely unheard of, there wouldn't be any continuity with what came before and afterward, but since there is a whole new timeline, they COULD go where no show has gone before!

48. Kerr Avon

Kerr Avon Master Member

Because the same reason they just didn't make a new space opera series when JJ Abrams butt ****ed the series with the Apple iEnterprise with ten million lens flares which means eye protection is a must.

Name recognition.

The hack can't write his own **** and has to steal other people's stuff.

49. Goodwolf

Goodwolf Sr Member

It took some doing, and I'm not proud of some of the things I had to do to get this, but I managed to find out that not only is J.J. Abrams going to produce, write and direct the next installment, but BDT will play Kahn. I managed to get ahold of a quick mockup Abrams did to show the brass what he had in mind.

I hope you enjoy, many Bothans died to bring us this information...

i made old star trek look like new star trek! - YouTube!

50. Solo4114

Solo4114 Master Member

I'm sorry, did I miss a "Now with 40% less lens flare!" update on the next Trek film? :lol