Star Trek Wrath of Khan Style Wrap

Discussion in 'Replica Costumes' started by Felgacarb, Oct 21, 2011.

1. Felgacarb

Felgacarb Well-Known Member

Here's a project I undertook just for fun. It's not actually a replica, but more of an interpretation. I took the overall uniform style of the original cast movies and combined it with Kirk's wrap top from TOS. (And partially stole the idea from one of Admiral Buck's photos.) It also helped that Joanne's was having a sale, 50% off the micro-suede & satin!

So here we go- first I did a sketch, then used that to create a new pattern. (Using also previous patterns and the old Technical Manual!)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The next step involved using the pattern to cut the interfacing, then ironing the interfacing to the outer material.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With the non-stretch materials and interfacing, this will be more of a jacket wrap than a shirt wrap...

Next came the fancy parts- many of the TWOK era outfits (Notably Scotty's vest) have inset panels for insignia badges and rank pins. I wanted this jacket to look comfortable and casual, but still be official enough that you could wear it on the bridge while on duty, as alternate captain's wear. So I included insets for both the rank pin and the service bars.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A little bit of black piping to set off the neck area

Here's the basic garment:

[​IMG]

Note the 'belt loop' on the back- it is functional, and it's intended to keep the wrap in place, while reminding you of the TWOK uniform jacket's back.

[​IMG]

Then, I just needed the details. I didn't think the standard metal pins for the insignia and rank would work well on this- I wanted something lighter and perhaps more casual. So I made a TMP style badge out of plastic, and did some quick machine embroidery (that's a fancy way of saying: "I used the zig-zag stitch, a lot") to create 'soft' rank and service pins.

And now, for the obligatory photoshopped pictures of it being worn!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(Must pose with phaser! Guarding the Guardian?)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Overall I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. Probably it will be used for 'comfortable con wear'.

Thanks for looking!

Last edited: Jul 9, 2017
    Ragz and micdavis like this.
  2. darthgordon

darthgordon Sr Member

I like it. I like it a lot.

3. Dasgreider

Dasgreider New Member

DUDE! Haha, that's Awesome! I expected the more formal one with the uniform that came up to the top of the chest

[​IMG]

4. Apollo

Apollo Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Digging it.

Being a wrap around brings back memories of me of the 80's and 90's when I used to roam the Con ballrooms at night with my green wrap and saurian brandy bottle

5. Angelus Lupus

Angelus Lupus Sr Member

Somehow it works and fits the style very well. In fact I'd much rather have seen this in the movies than that other 'casual' jacket thing Kirk wore.
    [​IMG]

6. Tiberius Kirk

Tiberius Kirk Sr Member

Love your work!

7. SonofJorEl

SonofJorEl Well-Known Member

Dude--that was just awesome!!

8. Martin-El

Martin-El Well-Known Member

you are fast becoming the face of Trek II wardrobe - a great idea well executed and the highest compliment of all is that your design could so easily be a legitimate costume of the 'era'.

9. Ghost Host

Ghost Host Sr Member

Great idea and execution. I'd go with metal insignia/pins though.

10. Felgacarb

Thanks, all!

I may do so. I think I'd want to mount them on little magnets (with small metal plates pinned inside the wrap) so that the clutch pins wouldn't be poking me. (Worked well on my TNG comm badge & uniform)

11. Tremas

Tremas Sr Member

That's a * fine piece of work. :)

12. stmike73

stmike73 New Member

Hands down one the single best fan variations that I have ever seen. Excellent work.

13. SSgt Burton

SSgt Burton Sr Member

Like I said in the other thread, genius!

However I too would like to see a metal rank.

Kevin

14. Felgacarb

Thanks Tremas, Mike & Kevin!

Due to popular demand, (does two requests constitute demand? or popular?)

Right, due to it just being a good idea, I've gone to a metal rank pin, pips & squeaks.

I do like it better this way. Here's how it looks:

[​IMG]

I put in an order for these (and some other knick-knacks) from Xscapes, the Sunday before Halloween, and they showed up three days later! I was wearing them to Eveningarwen's party! Seriously, those guys are great...

15. Dave Porter

Dave Porter Sr Member

Looks great!

Well done.

16. BAK55

BAK55 Well-Known Member

I had origanlly wanted to have the "Ike" uniform jacket made. I had bought the fabric and sort of made a pattern for someone to sew this up for me. But that hasn't happend just yet, and now you have me wanting somethng like this instead. -This is all your fault for confusing and delaying me in what uniform I want to have done. Blast you!:darnkids:lol

Great idea, and excellently done!(y)thumbsup

The only thing different I may want to modify is to still have the white strap come over the shoulder for the rank as on the original Trek II uniform and on the Ike jacket, instead of the white insert on the chest as you have.

17. dpip

dpip New Member

Look good. I know the original you are talking of ...

--Dave

18. maxdefiant

maxdefiant New Member

Nicely done sir!

19. zacic

zacic Member

now thats pretty awesome, makes me want to go climb a mountain or something, maybe embrace it...

20. Felgacarb

Thanks! I got to wear this to the ST con in Burbank a while ago.

21. Interceptor6

Interceptor6 Sr Member

Love it! Top notch work!
    jeff

22. greatwazoo42

greatwazoo42 Sr Member

That is very cool. I'm working on a Charlie X version of the wrap now but this is pretty damned awesome.

23. Felgacarb

Oooohh- that's a good one. And I have not seen it done before- you'll post pictures, yes?

24. brandomack

brandomack Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I really like this design. Great work Felgacarb!

25. fallimar

fallimar Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Very nicely done!

So good to see more people patterning their own garments, it really makes such a huge difference to the quality of the finished piece :)

26. greatwazoo42

greatwazoo42 Sr Member

Will do. :) The "test fabric" I got in for it is a bit more brown than tan but it may still look right under bright light like the original. I'm tempted to take a hint from you and use a metal Starfleet Symbol at the end of the belt. I particularly like the brass blanks that they used on the black Academy jackets in Abrams 09 Trek. That might work really well on a dark tan suede.