Star Trek - Universal Translator

ajaxjones

The piece I'm making is actually a bar code scanner, but rather than housing it in a non-generic holder I'm going to put it inside a copy of the Star Trek Universal Translator. Started with a 3d model and sculpted in a holder for the electronics and a port for the scanner. I guess it translates bar codes, so it has an element of truth about it. Also added in the flattended piece and dimple on the back as I seem to be able to see that in both the the screen shots and some prop that came up for sale.

So far its just printing and glueing time and sanding to get it ready for some paint

IMG_7123.jpg
IMG_7125.jpg
IMG_7124.jpg
Translator1Large.jpg
Translator2Large.jpg
Translator3Large.jpg

Great idea and a nice looking model so far, love it! I've been on the lookout for a functional metal version for some time. I'll find one when I put my mind to it. Your dimensions look excellent too

The base ring/cap looks a bit off but I can live with it for the purpose its for. Just sprayed it all in Molotow , I wish I could do that for a full time job :)

Patience now to let it dry before a coat of varnish and then assemble.
IMG_7130.jpg

This is fantastic! Can you tell me the dimensions or size of the switch? I have a machined aluminum version and the switch has broken. Cannot for the life of me remember the dimensions. Lol.

This is fantastic! Can you tell me the dimensions or size of the switch? I have a machined aluminum version and the switch has broken. Cannot for the life of me remember the dimensions. Lol.
switch body 10.4mm x 5.7mm
the plate is 19.6 x 5.7mm
total depth is 12.7mm
hole centers seem to be 15mm
Same sort of thing as these , US $1.35 25% OFF|2015 Hot 20pcs 5V 0.3 A Mini Size Black SPDT Slide Switch for Small DIY Power|switch switch|switch slideswitch 5v - AliExpress

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back