Star Trek TOS Wand Company Communicator Modification Project! Alpha To Beta Version.

spacerone

Bought a couple of these Wand Communicators and very impressed with them.:) So I'm going to see if I can convert one of them into a Beta version communicator and make a few changes to it along the way.
Everyone is welcome to join in with ideas or suggestions.:cheers

DSC06970.JPG

Need to open it and find out what is inside.
Where is the T6 Torx when you need it:confused

DSC06971.JPG

Re: Star Trek TOS Wand Company Communicator Modification Project! Alpha To Beta Vers

Aye it's a mess inside there! Wires detaching by themselves! :facepalm
Most of it is taken apart, Can't figure how to remove the center pin behind the speaker yet.:unsure

DSC06972.JPG

I will try from the front side and see if taking the bezel ring off helps.

Re: Star Trek TOS Wand Company Communicator Modification Project! Alpha To Beta Vers

Bezel ring popped off with a screw driver! :)

DSC06973.JPG

Still no help on how to remove the back pin though, but it gave me a chance to do a quick test fit of the new Beta bezel ring.

DSC06974.JPG

Fits okay, but it looks like adjustments will have to be made to the plastic to get a closer fit to the base.

DSC06975.JPG

And the work slowly continues! :sleep

Didn't they mention the battery would be replaceable?

Didn't they mention the battery would be replaceable?

Rylo not sure what they said but the battery looks like it plugs into the board and can be replaced without soldering it.

DSC0697.JPG

How many times did you flip this one open? I'd be interested in seeing if there is any wear between the antenna grid stop and the mid plate.

How many times did you flip this one open? I'd be interested in seeing if there is any wear between the antenna grid stop and the mid plate.

I flipped this one about 15 times before I took it apart. There is a little spring that I think creates the stiffness in the antenna. When I removed the spring and put the antenna back in place it flip freely with out any resistance.

DSC069.JPG

I was more so curious if it was an off the shelf; plug and play sort of thing. Just hoping we can find the damned things when the time comes.

Thanks

Rylo not sure what they said but the battery looks like it plugs into the board and can be replaced without soldering it.

View attachment 639925

I was more so curious if it was an off the shelf; plug and play sort of thing. Just hoping we can find the damned things when the time comes.

Thanks

I just did a quick check and you can find these on ebay . I'm sure they are probably available elsewhere also.
Might be a good idea to buy a few in advance if they don't go bad when not in use.:unsure

Looks like the plastic rhinestones come off easily with a push from the back side.:)

DSC06976.JPG

While trying to take off the T-jet knobs to replace them with new aluminum ones that I ordered the copper colored stick on the left came off the board and the plastic stick on the right snapped.:cry I used a drill and went slow but you need to be careful that the knobs do not rotate during drilling or it will cause damage to both sticks. Hold it tightly if you try this.

DSC0699.JPG

The copper stick and it's silver case can be reattached with some glue on the sides but the other plastic one will have to be replaced.:facepalm
Where is the soldering iron when you need it.:(

DSC0698.JPG

And the exploration continues.

Have you figured out how to replace the bottom moire or are you just going to put the beta moire on top of the old one?

Have you figured out how to replace the bottom moire or are you just going to put the beta moire on top of the old one?

Still trying to figure how to remove the center pin without breaking anything. If I can get it off I think I will have more options than just placing the new one over the old one. If I can't get it off I may have to just place the new one on top of the old one.

DSC06972A.JPG

Last edited:

Still trying to figure how to remove the center pin without breaking anything. If I can get it off I think I will have more options than just placing the new one over the old one. If I can't get it off I may have to just place the new one on top of the old one.

View attachment 640334

I've always liked the beta moire better than the alpha and would really like to change it on one of my Wand Communicators. I'll probably just opt for putting the new one over the old one as I'm not brave enough to take it apart like you have.

I've always liked the beta moire better than the alpha and would really like to change it on one of my Wand Communicators. I'll probably just opt for putting the new one over the old one as I'm not brave enough to take it apart like you have.

That would probably be a lot easier to do. I'm still tinkering with it and trying to figure the best way to make the new aluminum bezel fit correctly. Not sure what needs to be adjusted around the black plastic moire bezel ring area that is part of the body.:unsure

DSC0698A.JPG

That would probably be a lot easier to do. I'm still tinkering with it and trying to figure the best way to make the new aluminum bezel fit correctly. Not sure what needs to be adjusted around the black plastic moire bezel ring area that is part of the body.:unsure

I'm going to take the lazy way and just use the existing bezel. Since you showed how easy it was to take out the plastic jewels I'm really thinking about changing them too but I'm worried about how much light will be transmitted through the real jewels.

I'm going to take the lazy way and just use the existing bezel. Since you showed how easy it was to take out the plastic jewels I'm really thinking about changing them too but I'm worried about how much light will be transmitted through the real jewels.

I just checked and found out what may be making the ring sit a little higher. The moire on the left side which is the Wand one has a thickness of .012 inch and the one I was going to use is a little thicker at .020 inch. That may be causing the difference.

DSC06994.JPG

Yes, I think replacing the jewels will change the strength of the light. I think I will check and see how it looks with a Swarovski rhinestone in its place.

I'd think the ring is sitting higher by design to allow the sound to pass. If we're talking about the aluminum ring, that is.

Here is the Swarovski emerald rhinestone with the light off.
DSC06997.JPG

And here it is with the light on and the silver backing removed so the light will shine through it.

DSC07004.JPG

The light is reduced compared to that of the plastic rhinestone but it is still visible.

I'd think the ring is sitting higher by design to allow the sound to pass. If we're talking about the aluminum ring, that is.

Aye, I think your're right. And the moire thickness will bring it up higher as well if it is thicker than the Wand moire used.

The Wand moire and Alpha ring.

DSC07008.JPG

The Wand moire and Beta ring
DSC07009.JPG

Both look slightly up off the surface.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back