Star Trek TOS Type 2 Phaser Free 3D Print Model -=Need Trekkie Assistance=-

Another great photo reference:

You clearly missed the 80-plus page thread about this FAKE prop which sold for a quarter million. FAKE!! FAKE!!!!

You clearly missed the 80-plus page thread about this FAKE prop which sold for a quarter million. FAKE!! FAKE!!!!

Yes, probably. But it is still a good reference for all the elements I've listed above. It may be totally a phony... but it's a well-made phony, with all the bells and whistles.

So to the best of our knowledge there were 4 hero phaser 1/2 combinations.

One phaser had nothing between the thumb wheel and the half round window.

Another had a blue watch crown with a silver base.

The third had a red Swarovski Crystal with no base, similar to what you have in your model.

So the single red jewel with no bezel is actually fine... Although again it was a faceted crystal.

I think your doing a great job. Your model looks fantastic.

Scrambled a full prototype together, had a chance to get it signed by the man himself, can't pass that up! Nothing's glued on, I'll fix the dial and other features this week, aiming to publish the V1 of this by the end of this week on thingiverse.

20220220_225251.jpg

That's what I thought. When did he sign that for you? Nice...
Fan Expo Vancouver, I got a booth there last minute to show off 3D printing, I ended up getting the phaser put together about 20min before he started signing, half the parts are just friction fit.
(for the record we there was a glass covid divider in the pic, I photoshopped it out to pretend life is normal.

Attachments

• ShatnerandMe.jpg
    ShatnerandMe.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 89
Last edited:
Apologies, been a long few weeks at work. Thanks to Jlewis and Dsimdude for pointing out two major issues, I got to play with a Master Replicas version recently and the same two issues stood out: The 4 ribs at the back and the knob:

20220219_122359.jpgStar_Trek_TOS_-_Type_2_Phaser_Crash_Fix_2022-Mar-08_02-13-08AM-000_CustomizedView18740400302.png
Both issues hopefully fixed, on the plus side it was an exact size/dimension match, so much so that I really can't find any other big fault.

So I submit it one more time for scrutiny, this model has become way better thanks to the awesome feedback from here. If it passes the test I'll publish on thingiverse :)

Attachments

• Star_Trek_TOS_-_Type_2_Phaser_Crash_Fix_2022-Mar-08_02-13-24AM-000_CustomizedView203083500.png
    Star_Trek_TOS_-_Type_2_Phaser_Crash_Fix_2022-Mar-08_02-13-24AM-000_CustomizedView203083500.png
    687.6 KB · Views: 139
  • Star_Trek_TOS_-_Type_2_Phaser_Crash_Fix_2022-Mar-08_02-13-36AM-000_CustomizedView8827959830.png
    Star_Trek_TOS_-_Type_2_Phaser_Crash_Fix_2022-Mar-08_02-13-36AM-000_CustomizedView8827959830.png
    694.5 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:
Dsimdude
Yep... she's lookin' like a phaser now, Laddie!
An apology to you! I just went back to the thread and you posted an amazing breakdown of all the issues, including those 2 noted above. I'll see about fixing those asap. I feel like a heel considering the time it must have taken you to do the breakdown, I'll fix or address every issue asap.

Here's the play by play copying your list of fixes and working through them (compare from Dsimdude's P1 list of issues on this thread):

Phaser_Fix_001 [DONE]
1. Addressed: The inset is for printability, it's as thin as it can get. The final print has it raised a bit matching the screen
2. Fixed
3. Fixed
4. Fixed
5. Fixed
6. Addressed: Won't show up in a print unfortunately
7. Fixed
8. Fixed

Phaser_Fix_002
1. Addressed: It doesn't butt up in the printed version, this is more of an artifact of the model
2. Fixed
3. Addressed: The cap is there, it's set in the stand, you can see when you remove it.

Phaser_Fix_003
2. Fixed (small inaccuracies maybe, it's pretty close)
4. Adressed: Thicker than it looks, balance for easy printability.
5. Fixed

5A. Fixed

6. Fixed

Phaser_Fix_004
2. Fixed (and there is a seam, it's a render issue)
3. Fixed
4. Fixed

Phaser_Fix_005
2. Fixed
3. Addressed: It's the 90mm lens from the render, no effect on the models
4. Addressed: Render issue, the 3D print is the goal, render is just for reference.

Phaser_Fix_006
3. Addressed: It's a 3D print, it should be 'too perfect' since 3d printers aren't very accurate, crisper the model is the better, it can be formed later.

[NOTE: THIS IS UPDATE 3 OF THE LIST]

Last edited:
Dsimdude Amazing list of change suggestions and I've addressed and/or fixed every one. But it's caused a whole whack of downstream and dependency errors (when one change impacts another). So I can't post renders/models for a bit while I sort it all out . Coming soon!

Last edited:
Looks gorgeous. What about the early, black and white version? I’d be down for that.
It's a 3D print model, so you can just paint in whatever. The one I compared it by IRL was the gray master replicas version. (pic is of Master Replicas gray version)

Attachments

• 20220219_122350.jpg
    20220219_122350.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 73
It's a 3D print model, so you can just paint in whatever. The one I compared it by IRL was the gray master replicas version. (pic is of Master Replicas gray version)

Of course, but there are a few small physical differences between the early black and white props and the revised/commonly seen gray versions (smooth sight cover with no Mylar crispy foil on the P1, simple, aluminum tenturn knob on the P2, two small, half-round acrylic P1 buttons instead of the big acrylic power meter, no P1 side rails, midgrade-style rear P2 fins, etc.). You might want to consider offering a few optional parts to allow one to build either version.

Of course, but there are a few small physical differences between the early black and white props and the revised/commonly seen gray versions (smooth sight cover with no Mylar crispy foil on the P1, simple, aluminum tenturn knob on the P2, two small, half-round acrylic P1 buttons instead of the big acrylic power meter, no P1 side rails, midgrade-style rear P2 fins, etc.). You might want to consider offering a few optional parts to allow one to build either version.
How close is this 3D model as it is now to the Wand Company phaser??

Haha, some of those I changed to the later version based on feedback, there's been a lot of versions of this thing ;). I'll circle back on this later and do the optional parts, but for now I just want to get it out there. I'll print a couple as is and see how they work then release the model. Then I'll to some alt parts, it's not too hard considering I have some of them already in previous versions in Fusion.

Very, I farted there in the descripo
THE WAND COMPANY, that was it. It was at a convention and I couldn't remember the name. Dimensionally it's bang on. Detail wise (vs the B/W version) it's a later version so a few details don't match. There's some liberties with the parts for 3D printability but as long as you have a good printer it should be almost identical dimensionally, but obviously it doesn't compare with a full metal build with all the moving parts. I'm planning on adding lights and sound later, code and design for that is done, just needed the final model to start integrating. Will be releasing the code and parts list as well on my github.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back