Star Trek TOS Tri-Viewer is DONE!!

Re: Star Trek TOS Assistance and Insight Needed.

Heh. We've used one of those for the last 6 years in our party room during Convergence.

The cool thing is, the screens work. They're computer monitors displaying images during our open hours at the con.

attachment.php

Bak55, that is great! I love it!

Karl, your top down view is exactly as I had envisioned it. I think the only thing I wasn't totally convinced of is if those three slats around the outer edge were flat pieces, or wedges. I believe them to be flat, like in your drawing.

I think what I will do for my build is make the bottom lip flat, and the top lip angled. The first pic I posted is very compelling evidence to suggest it's flat. The close up of mudds screen COULD be the result of a lens distortion, or just the angle. It's really hard to say. Making the bottom lip flat will certainly make construction a lot easier.

Thanks for all the help so far folks.

If someone has some REALLY striking evidence to counter what I've concluded so far, please let me know.

Ok, wait a sec. Take a look at this:

monitor-tos-triangle-white-tomorrowisyesterday.jpg

It looks like the screen on the left has a flat lip with a bottom rim, but the screen on the right has a VERY angled lower lip and a much thinner (or non existent) bottom rim.

INTERESTING. Maybe not all sides of the screen were built equal. Perhaps only one side was meant to display a graphic, and was therefore built differently. This would explain the discrepancy between the first pic I posted (which clearly shows a flat lip) and the close ups of the mudd screens, which show an angled lip.

thoughts?

Bah, I take it back. I think it's just a lighting trick. I don't think the right side is any different. Claim retracted :)

Lots of progress on this project lately, and some more questions.

Here's the basic body shapes I've cut out:
viewer.jpg

I'm extremely pleased with the overall shapes and dimensions. Big thanks to all the folks in this thread who helped out.

This is my second cardboard prototype of the top/pyramid. I still think it's a little too tall, coming in at 1.5". I believe 1" is probably correct. Any thoughts??

lid.jpg

Re: Star Trek TOS Tri-Viewer WIP.

Using one of the reference pics in this thread, I updated my droring to include the base. I slapped on the pyramid with a 1" height to see how it all fit together, and I think it looks good. Feedback DEFINITELY welcome at this point.

front%2Bview%2Bwith%2Bcallouts.jpg

Just to start the discussion -- based on the size of the data card & switches, I'm getting an outer size for the side of the viewer of 16" wide, and 9" tall. The actual screen, including its frame is 10.75" wide by 7" tall. The frame around the screen is 1/2" wide, all around.

D5, I used some of these measurements to make my drawing, but NOW realize I may have misinterpreted them.

when you say 9" tall, do you mean from the table to the top of the pyramid, or did you mean the main body of the thing? (ie, not including the base and pyramid?

D5, I used some of these measurements to make my drawing, but NOW realize I may have misinterpreted them.

when you say 9" tall, do you mean from the table to the top of the pyramid, or did you mean the main body of the thing? (ie, not including the base and pyramid?

Just talking about the main body of the thing. I didn't run any dimensions for the stand.

Matt,

I always enjoy your work and the progress reports, it's looking good so far! Looking forward to seeing it finished.

Right now I am trapped in the infinite loop of sand/putty/primer/repeat.

The base is just about done, but the main box is just started. Still lots of icky finishing work to do, but I'm still super happy with the overall shape. Could be worse, I suppose.

Thanks Sean! I think the dimensions are pretty close, at least visibly. I think the casual observer would be hard pressed to point out any significant differences.

More work has been done today. Another round of putty/sand/primer on the base, and I've also cut and glued in the side slats on the main viewer. Construction is now complete. It's just a matter of finishing up the surfaces, and making styrene frames for the screens.

AND, for reference, this is the project I'm making this for:

http://www.startrekcontinues.com/

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back