Star Trek: TOS question: Is Nomad V´ger?

Wes R

Legendary Member
The episode with Nomad is on tonight and I never realized until now that Nomad and Veeg'r have a lot in common. Are they actually related or did Gene just reuse the ideas for the motion picture?

Re: Star Trek: TOS question: Is Nomad Veeg'r?

I have heard that the script for ST:TMP was supposed to be a continuation of the Nomad thing -- or something to that effect -- but was then modified later. That could just be urban legend, though. I don't claim to be an authority on the subject.

It just struck me as to how the storylines were a like but I think Mic could be right and it's a thing where fans just put the two together when they're not.

I don't believe they are "deliberately" related.

Voyager-6.jpg

V'ger was originally Voyager 6. The Voyager series of deep space probes were launched in 1977 (in reality there were only Voyagers 1 and 2). They were to travel out to Jupiter and Saturn and then out of our solar system.

According to TMP, Voyager 6 (conjecture, but probably launched in 1999 as it was less advanced than Nomad) fell into a "black hole" and emerged on the other side of the galaxy. It eventually reached the "machine homeworld" whereupon the machines found it to be crude, but treated it as one of their own kind.

The machines built the V'ger spacecraft for Voyager and sent it on its return path to Earth (presumably taking hundreds of years to arrive).

640px-Nomad_schematic.jpg

Nomad was launched from Earth in 2002 (exact date was in the script of The Changeling however Kirk simply mentions that Nomad was launched in the early 2000s). Its mission was to seek out new life forms. However in a freak accident it collided with an alien probe called Tan Ru. Tan Ru's mission was to obtain and sterilize soil samples as a preclude to colonization.

320x240.jpg

After the collision, the two probes managed to merge and repair one another becoming the new improved Nomad. It believed its mission was now to sterilize all life forms (in other words destroy everything that shows the smallest flaws or weakness).

Of course Nomad destroyed itself after a bout of wits and logic from Kirk, so it "can't" be V'ger.

The two stories do have similar plotlines though. We all joke that The Motion Picture is just a fancy big screen rehash of The Changeling.

However the script for The Motion Picture was originally supposed to be the premiere episode of Star Trek Phase II (the second proposed Star Trek television series in the late 1970s). The episode's title was "In Thy Image" and was pretty much what we got in The Motion Picture. However in this version, Voyager 6 was Voyager 18 launched before Earth suffered World War III (its mission was simply a record of Earth's civilization to be found by an alien race in case we completely destroyed ourselves). Voyager 18 traveled out to the far reaches of the galaxy and encountered "The Wan" who sent it back to Earth as "Veejur."

Upon reaching Earth looking for its creator, Kirk and crew explain that Earthlings created Veejur, however Earth was nearly destroyed by WWIII so Veejur cannot believe such a warlike race created it. It intends to wipe out all of humanity.

Kirk proves that Earthlings created it by repairing a damaged section that only its "Creator" could know how to. Veejur then accepts that humans are its creator, but states that it no longer serves humanity and leaves for the deep exploration of space for its own sake, and not as a part of its original mission (though it may choose to return to Earth one day).

Kevin

Last edited:

You are in error. Must examine imperfection. Must sterilize. Must carry out prime directive.

I just figured that the story was recycled since it had so much potential.

Well, the guy who wrote the story for "The Changling" (Nomad episode) did sue and got money because TMP was the basically the same story.

No, it's not your imagination.

Since Star Trek: the Motion Picture was from a story by Alan Dean Foster, it figures.

This is just my opinion, but I don't think the man could come up with his own idea for anything.

Since Star Trek: the Motion Picture was from a story by Alan Dean Foster, it figures.

This is just my opinion, but I don't think the man could come up with his own idea for anything.

Well, he did write the Spellsinger series which, as far as i know, is original. Also which brought me much entertainment at the tender age of 13.

The machine planet was exactly that- a race of pure machines. Think of a planet inhabited by Skynet, HKs and Endos only.

The Borg are partly organic ("Borg" is derived from Cyborg- cybernetic organism) so they are not the machine World depicted in TMP.

Most of this stems from a joke Gene Roddenberry made after the episode "Q-Who?" was produced- saying that V'ger "may" have fallen into the Borg homeworld. However it was only a joke and not to be taken seriously. Well... about as seriously as any novels Shatner has written. ;)

Kevin

If you stare at this long enough, you'll see a 3D picture...

Nomad is goofy, V'Ger is.....

attachment.php

......scary.... :ninja

As I understand the story which I've pieced together from various articles that had nothing to do with TMP- they wanted to do a big budget remake of a classic episode using updated visual effects. They narrowed it down to two episodes... The Changeling and Spock's Brain... however, they were going to modify it to be Shatner's hairpiece. However, the story was dropped because Harlan Ellison threatened to sue over the fact that he felt the story was too similar to his script for City on the Edge of Forever... in that it used the original crew of the Enterprise and on page 2 of the first treatment the word "time" was used twice. This was very upsetting for Shatner who'd always wanted to be filmed without his hairpiece, but was never allowed by his agent. He became very upset when TNG premiered with a captain who did not need to wear a hairpiece... So upset in fact, the he insisted that the character of Kirk die in Generations. He even refused to film his scenes with Patrick Stewart. So all the scenes of them were filmed separately and then edited together in post.

I think I need to add all this information to Wikipedia... as it doesn't appear to be there.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back