Star Trek TOS Photoshoot at Valley of Fire State Park

I am giving into the dark side and embracing the TOS too :lol. Went to the Trek convention in August and wore this and really got to geek out and had a blast. I sincerely have been loving this look and it is super fun to wear!

You know there's no going back right? ;) :lol

You look great as always, and the same for Art's photography skills. :thumbsup

(Have to admit I cringed at the '09 phaser too, but the photoshops made that feeling melt away. :lol)

So what's next? I'm thinking (hoping ;) ) Marlena Moreau- it's Trek's "Slave Leia" equivalent. ;)

Kevin

But I was only pointing out that the dress is a bit of an anachronism in that it's not actually a TOS dress at all.

I guess that depends on your rubric for what a "TOS dress" needs to be. The cut looks similar enough, the fabric is obviously of the essence ... overall, it looks like a TOS dress.

Your required percentage of accuracy is higher than most, and considering the alternative you compared it to never made a screen appearance, it looks closer to a TOS dress than to ... nothing.

For me, this would be like saying a minute alteration to a painting -- be it purposeful or inadvertent -- makes it a completely distinct painting with no relation to the original. The Mona Lisa does not appear now as it appeared when it was painted, yet we still call it the Mona Lisa.

I'm just playing devil's advocate here. I'm obviously not as entrenched in the accuracy debate here, but as someone who is more than a casual fan of TOS, as well as a costumer hobbiest, I have no qualms whatsoever saying it looks like a TOS dress to me.

And more to the point of this thread, it looks great on her!

I agree with almost everything you stated. In fact, I'll go abit further and say that this dress is somewhat superior to an actual 3rd season dress and I wish I could get one for my wife (we're busy with our first baby right now), but when screen accuracy is the goal of ANOVOS'product, than I'd be remiss to not point out that it's not in fact accurate. It could be said that this dress is an idealised version of a TOS dress as Bill was improving on his original 3rd season design with the 1976 pattern, but the fact remains thatthe pattern used to make that dress was designed for PHASE II not TOS. How many times here on the RpF have we debated idealized props verses accurate? Screen accurate versus screen seen? I didn't intend to offend anyone here, just pointing pit that the dress in question is not strictly speaking a 1969 STAR TREK:TOS dress.

Fixed.

Fixed.jpg

(C'mon, this IS the rPf after all!)

Fixed indeed! :lol

I wasn't going to say anything but getting rid of that chome garden hose nozzle thing and replacing it with a proper phaser makes all the difference. :thumbsup

The Art Asylum Phasers are pretty inexpensive and pretty accurate, especially for costuming.

You should be able to find them on the net, ebay, or at Cons.

Thanks everyone. We were just out in LA a week ago and had I realized we were going to be so close to Vasquez Rocks, I would have brought my dress out with me and done another shoot. Next time for sure and I promise to have the correct weapon courtesy of micdavis.

Excellent photos! Since you're in Arizona, have you ever considered going to Buttercup Valley to shoot in some genuine Tatooine sand dunes? It's in Imperial Sand Dunes, technically in California but it's very close to Yuma, AZ.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back