Star Trek..TOS...People Have Passed Way Too Soon

tain669

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
This year we lost the Squire Of Gothos .I speak of the the actor who I cannot remember his name at this time so i hope one of you gents can post it here. On other actot that I really like was the man who played Lincoln on the area/planet.episode title which I also cannot remember.If any of you have an actor who who has had a favorite actor/character who was on the OS then p[lease feel free to give them a shout out here. thanks

Last edited:
Re: Star Trek..TOS...People Have Passed Way Too Young

This year we lost the Squire Of Gothos .I speak of the the actor who I cannot remember his name at this time so i hope one of you gents can post it here.

His name was Willam Campbell.

I love this episode. Trelane has been retconned by fans to have been a Q. How cool is that idea?

People from the 60's, 70's 80's lived harder and faster than those of today. no bottled water - everyone smoked, lots of heart issues were still mysteries - and people drank back then. I know people drink now, but it was normal to visit someone's house and have them offer you some hooch. The only thing they had going for them was there were far less chemicles in their food.

Yes... we've lost a lot of people from TOS...

Gene Roddenberry
Jeffrey Hunter
Susan Oliver
Matt Jeffries
Deforest Kelly
James Doohan
Mark Lenard
Majel Barrett
John Colicos
William Campbell
Roger Carmel
Paul Carr
Frank Gorshin
William Marshall

People from the 60's, 70's 80's lived harder and faster than those of today. no bottled water - everyone smoked, lots of heart issues were still mysteries - and people drank back then. I know people drink now, but it was normal to visit someone's house and have them offer you some hooch. The only thing they had going for them was there were far less chemicles in their food.

That's how I live now!

Honestly I don't think we're doing much better today in the lifestyle department. Americans have terrible diets coupled with extremely sedentary lifestyles. We have large portions, fast food, junk food, people drink tons of soda. Our video games, computers, Blurays, cable television with a million channels, DVDs, streaming video, etc... keep us sitting indoors for long periods of time.

Obesity rates have doubled in the last 20 years alone.

Yes smoking is down considerably from the '60s, but the real increase is from medical technology. Many diseases that were an instant death sentence 45 years ago... even 15 years ago, are more of a (while very expensive) nuisance today.

I have a feeling that if we lived the lifestyle that most do today without our medical technology, most wouldn't make it past the age of 60.

Keep in mind also that Star Trek premiered almost 45 years ago and that Campbell lived to be 87 years old... which is pretty good.

Oh, I agree, medical has a great deal to do with it, but there was an segment on Dateline a few weeks back talking about the American way of life and how the chemicals added to our foods by way of big corp - are illegal in many parts of the world - steroids, anesthetics and tiv fiber are only the beginning - those things are transferred to you. And there are FAR more people who jog, mountain bike, rock climb, and work out than there ever has been. Bottled water, a demand for specific healthier foods are also common - something not so in the 60's or 70's. Shoot, cocaine was done off the sleeve because most people saw it as a noon-addictive recreational drug back then.

Uh... but the show was 45 years ago, and these people were middle-aged then. Not many people live past old age you know... Considering they were all chainsmokers and alcoholics according to Jet, they've lived a long old life. Take Campbell. I wouldn't call 88 'young'. Think I'll smoke and drink more...

Uh... but the show was 45 years ago, and these people were middle-aged then. Not many people live past old age you know... Considering they were all chainsmokers and alcoholics according to Jet, they've lived a long old life. Take Campbell. I wouldn't call 88 'young'. Think I'll smoke and drink more...

i'm not aware of how old these people were when they pass. I have an Uncle who has a liver that's probably as hard as a rock and looks like a pin cushion - he's 70 last week and does more each day than i do - so what do I know. John Hughes dropped dead while jogging. :lol

My grandmother smoked and drank until the last few years of her life and she lived to be 95. As a matter of fact, 3 of her doctors died before she did, so all this good living crap doesn't mean a thing. If it makes you feel better, then by all means do it, but don't preach to others how they should live or make laws forcing them to live your life style.

You think that's bad look at Babylon-5.

Quite a few have passed on way and I mean WAY to soon.

As far as Trek the show was on 45 years ago so as someone noted they were in the middle age when it was shot.

Jet you bring up a good point about chemicals in our food now, way way too much of that crap.

Yes... we've lost a lot of people from TOS...

Gene Roddenberry
Jeffrey Hunter
Susan Oliver
Matt Jeffries
Deforest Kelly
James Doohan
Mark Lenard
Majel Barrett
John Colicos
William Campbell
Roger Carmel
Paul Carr
Frank Gorshin
William Marshall

And Ricardo Montalban. :(

Kevin

The majority weren't that young, mostly average to above average life spans. But yes it's still sad to see them go :(

Dying from smoking is very uncertain. After all, 50 % of heavy smokers live to 80. I see that as a half-full glass of milk.

Def, that thing about your Dad not eating much. That may really help. They reckon in abstemious eaters the body might take longer to wear out because of the reduced work it has to do in the digesting dept.

What difference does bottled water make? Its no cleaner than tap water.
If it's spring water, then it is.
Even the ones that use tap water supposedly filter the heck out of it, and have labels like "purified" and "filtered x times". Supposedly.

There has never been a single study in the world that says that bottled water is safer than tap water. Filtering the heck out of it doesn't do anything, since there is nothing to filter out. If anything tap water is safer becuase the standards set for it by the EPA are much stricter than those set by the FDA for tap water.
As for Spring Water, it actually comes from a well underneith an industrial facility's parking lot, next door to an industrial waste disposal site.
In blind taste tests people have been unable to even distinguish the difference between the two.

If anything, bottled water makes us worse off because by selling a virtually free resource for 10,000 times its worth generates a huge amount of pollution and waste.

Last edited:

You first said it wasn't "cleaner", not safer.

I have bottled water with me all the time...that I refill from the tap. :)

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back