Star Trek TOS P1 texture question

Leinads

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Was there a screen-depicted P1 ever shown with texture? Often replicas + toys are molded to match the communicator and tricorder with a fine haircell. Is this just artistic license?

Last edited:

Lost in Trek

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
The communicators and tricorders were vacuum formed using a plastic called Kydex, which has a hair cell pattern.

The phasers were mostly made from a mold using fiberglass...
The phasers were smooth.

Leinads

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Thanks for the expert feedback guys. Smooth as silk. I’m starting a new scratch-build/ hero-hybrid and wondered if there was a glimpse of one I’d missed ~ now I know.

Leinads

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Well… well then… gosh darn dagnabbit. I guess I already knew this but was really hoping there was some obscure instance of it. I’m a texture guy - what can I say?
Okay, sidearms are typically smooth for obvious operational standards in the field so that makes sense - check. Handheld communication and computing devices would have some texture for ergonomics and ease of handling. Another check.
A textured P1 is still on my bucket list as I am often disruptive and contrary lol. Maybe a “battle worn” version where a fine hair cell has worn down in areas to underlying gunmetal? Ideas, ideas for the future ~

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.