Star Trek TOS Lirpa "hero" project update

Prop Runner

Sr Member
It's been a while since I last posted on my "Lirpa" recreation project, and last time I did, I had just received my wood prototype, based on the 3D CAD model I'd spent weeks tweaking. So a little recap is in order: first, what the frakk is a "Lirpa?" I won't get into the story behind it, but if you're a TOS Trek fan, you already know that it appears in one of the most memorable episodes of them all: Amok Time, legendary for its utterly absurd plot and campy fight music (parodied to perfection by Jim Carrey in Cable Guy), but most of all, for the awesome two-ended Vulcan "Lirpa" ceremonial dueling weapon: a pendulum-shaped slashing blade on one end, metal skull-crushing mallet on the other, and a thick hardwood blocking staff in between. For a synopsis of the episode, click here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amok_Time

Some highlights:

AmokTime_1.jpg
AmokTime_7.jpg

and what was being fought over :love :

AT-vulcangong-tpring.jpg

As I hadn't known anyone to attempt a *TRULY* accurate fan-made reproduction before, based on screen captures and painstaking scaling trial & error, I came up about 6 months ago with the 3D CAD model for the Lirpa and a wall mount based on the gong that was shattered during the fight:

lirpa_assy.jpg

lirpa_assy_w_mount.JPG

I designed the mallet to be hollow so I could pour plaster, cement, or resin into it to provide a counterweight, if needed for horizontal display or re-enactments. Then a flat steel disk would be attached to the circular depression with JB WELD. The disk diameter also approximates what appears to be a disc in several of the screen grabs of the mallet's bottom.

mallet_assy.JPG

I then commissioned a very talented woodworker (now turning wood gas bomb replicas for "King Kong" fans - shameless plug :D ) to construct an all-wood proof-of-concept prototype, which served to gauge the accuracy of my CAD model, as well as scale and proportions. Needless to say, I was mighty pleased with his work and my interpretation (once again, I apologize for the horribly geeky t-shirt :$ ):

lirpa_9.jpg

lirpa_8.jpg

lirpa_1.jpg

That's when I posted my show-off thread and mentioned that a metal "hero" version was in the works, and after the initial enthusiasm for the wood prototype ebbed, the thread sunk fast since I did not post any progress, and it eventually dropped off the RPF deep end - my bad. :( Fast-forward to today... After more trial & error, financial delays, and decisions about materials and finishes, I've finally come up with a near-perfect version that only needs some tweaking to the mallet shape and the bolts replaced with wooden dowels.

So without further ado, may I present, the Lirpa:

1137108972_Lirpa-1.JPG

BLADE.JPG

BASE.JPG

1137107291_Lirpa-3.JPG

1137107291_WALL%20MOUNT.JPG

1137107291_Lirpa-2.JPG

1137107413_more-1.JPG

Let me preface any comments and questions by agreeing that the base shape is still off and I'm sending my spinning/forming vendor a new drawing so he'll get it right. The blade and mallet are stainless steel, and I'm REALLY happy with the laser-cut profile and rough-ground edge, which simulates the look of the original:

lirpa_in_blankie.jpg

The face of the blade is bead-blasted, so it can be sprayed with gray paint for a truly non-reflective flat surface like the original, or left alone for the idealized look.

I haven't decided if the mallet should be painted for the satin painted look of the original, or leave it stainless, so I welcome opinions. :)

Also, the hanging wall mount is made of hardwood, like the shaft, and needs to receive the airbrushed stripes to match the original gong. The staff will be painted in a dark brown lacquer to match the original. I may also add a dip at the free ends of the steel hooks so the blade doesn't slide and cause the mallet to hit the wall and get dinged.

One last item: I'm not offering these yet, but when I'm ready, I'll start an interest list. If you'd like more info until then, please contact me privately at proprunner@aol.com or post your comments and questions here. I can't answer PMs because my box is currently full, so save yourself the trouble.

Thanks for looking, and hope you enjoy the eye candy. :D

- Gabe

As in the time of my fathers... challenge is accepted. :angry

Dut-dah-DAAAA-DAAAA-DAAAA-DAAAA-DAAAAA-dut-dah-DAAAAA-DAAAAAAAA.....

Originally posted by Funky Jedi@Jan 12 2006, 04:26 PM
So I gotta ask...how heavy is this thing???
[snapback]1157446[/snapback]​
Not nearly as heavy as the all-wood prototype, which rings it at exactly 10 lbs because of the solid walnut mallet. This one's closer to 6, since the mallet is hollow. Add another 4 for the wall mount, and well... :D

- Gabe

Originally posted by MattMunson@Jan 12 2006, 04:39 PM
That's pretty awesome. Good work.
[snapback]1157455[/snapback]​
Thanks, Matt - especially coming from a true Trek hardcore & talent like you. :)

You're now eligible for the 5% suck-up discount. :D (and everybody else who piles on the praise... :lol)

- Gabe

Originally posted by WinstonWolf359@Jan 12 2006, 04:45 PM
Wow, I'm in shock.  That's absolutely amazing, Gabe.

Great work.
[snapback]1157457[/snapback]​
Ok, moderators NEVER suck up to me (I already have one official warning), so I'm DOUBLY flattered. :D

- Gabe

[Edited for typo]

Originally posted by Funky Jedi@Jan 12 2006, 04:47 PM
Is it possible to make this out of fiberglass, so it's lightweight?
[snapback]1157459[/snapback]​
I'm sure that once these are finished, I could come to an arangement with a reputable fiberglass artist (if one comes forward) who would offer authorized stunts on my behalf, but that was never my intent. I'm definitely open to the idea in principle. :)

Or you could wait until some scumbucket recasts it and sells copies on eBay - I've already resigned myself to the idea, but I'm also a firm believer in karma, so I don't envy the person who'll try... :p

Question: wouldn't fiberglass stunts be fragile? I would think a rubber blade and mallet connected by a steel-rod reinforced fiberglass staff would be the ticket for dueling, no? Unless you want one that's screen-accurate and shatters. :lol

- Gabe

Originally posted by phase pistol+Jan 13 2006, 12:09 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(phase pistol @ Jan 13 2006, 12:09 AM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Prop Runner
@Jan 12 2006, 06:41 PM
and what was being fought over  :love  :

AT-vulcangong-tpring.jpg

[snapback]1157410[/snapback]​

They were fighting over a "gong"? :lol

- k
[snapback]1157433[/snapback]​
[/b]

So you're saying spock wanted to bang a gong, get it on?

Originally posted by pyxl@Jan 12 2006, 06:55 PM
So you're saying spock wanted to bang a gong, get it on?
[snapback]1157578[/snapback]​
One more gong wise-crack and I swear I'll delete the photo. :lol

At least Karl is the RPF's resident wisecracker, so it's expected, predictable, and yes - even a bit sad... :cry But I wouldn't step on his turf if you know what's good for you. :D

- Gabe

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back